Florida Concealed Carry banner

My License was SUSPENDED!!!!

5K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  joeyvco 
#1 ·
So I received a certified letter from DOA, (department of agriculture), notifying me that FDLE saying I am prohibited from possessing a firearm pursuant of the National Instant Background Check. They included a appeal sheet that just asks me for my name, address, contact number and birthplace. I filled it out 2 weeks ago and sent it certified. No info on why it was suspended. I contacted DOA and FDLE many many times and each party keeps sending me back to the other party. I have had my license for almost 1 year and have purchased 4 firearms from gander and other places with no hiccups. I am really upset that my rights have been taken away from me with no explanation. DOA told me even law enforcement has come in to ask the same questions and there is no info. Has anyone else been dealing with this? I do not have a upin, would that help any?

Thank you,
Joe.

#3 ·
Suggest a PM to Rvrctyrngr, of Florida Carry and he may be able to provide some steerage on how to procede, which might involve the services of an attorney.

#4 ·
Good luck.
Assuming you are in fact eligible to hold the permit, I sure it will all get worked out - frustrating as that may prove to be.

For now, I guess you can at least take some comfort in the fact that it was suspended, and not outright revoked?!

And not to add to your troubles, but I would check around a bit to make sure someone hasn't stolen your identity in the past few weeks.
Maybe this CCW hickup is the result of some ne'er-do-well soiling your good name! (Hopefully not, but these days you can't rule it out!)

#11 ·
Sorry about this.
Another reason I'm glad I got a unique name. Ain't no mixing me up. :)

Any unpaid tickets, civil infractions or something that would have triggered the letter?
Also are you absolutely sure it wasn't a fishing scam that looked legit and they only wanted your personal info so as to steal your identity? Envelope legit? Letter legit? Address you sent it back to legit?

#12 ·
IIRC, each licencee is run through the system every night to check for disqualifying events. It's not like you get a licence and are GTG for 7 years.

I hope you get this resolved quickly.

Brownie would accuse me of being 'guncentirc," but I would feel naked without my gun even though I every day without it in a GFZ.

#13 ·
I agree with FLWildMan's sentiment here. This is where Florida Carry's point in Norman becomes "real". Your right to bear an operable firearm, in public, for lawful self defense, isn't a right if it hinges on a piece of plastic that the state can "suspend" at will. If we had permit-less open carry this sort of thing couldn't happen. Sure the mix-up with a name could happen, but it wouldn't ever come to light unless you were actually involved in a "situation" where your carrying became a legal issue (such as a use of force incident) and then it would all get sorted out along with everything else. But you wouldn't end up with "prior restraint" such as what is happening here. At the moment the OP, without due process of law, has had his second amendment right to carry a firearm in public "suspended". And that's B.S.

#14 ·
Totally agree, Brian. :thumsup

#15 ·
I realize this is different, but it is similar. Back in the 1990s, I went to renew my driver license, and they said I no longer qualified for "Safe Driver" designation. I asked why, and they said I had an unresolved speeding ticket in Broward County - which I did not. I engaged the process, and found that the ticket was issued to a guy with the same first and last name; completely different middle name; 20 years my junior; with a MA driver license/address. I contacted the Broward County State Attorney's Office (where HSMV directed me to go to clear it up), and they sent me a form to fill out. None of the check boxes applied to my situation, so I wrote a narrative that basically went something like this: "Some low-level bureaucrat applied a speeding ticket issued to a resident of another state to my driving record - for no good reason other than we share the same first and last name. A quick examination of the facts - like full name, date of birth, and residence, will show that the ticket was clearly NOT issued to me. Your form does not have a spot to check off for "bureaucratic incompetence'." I faxed it in, and about 2 days later got a call from the Broward County SA's Office saying they had taken care of it (which they had).

Hopefully, the OPs situation will resolve just as easily.

I completely agree that we should not have to obtain these licenses to exercise our Constitutional Rights to start with.

#16 ·
Wow, first racer88's Delaware friend's story and now this, yet another great read on FCC today! :thumsup

#18 ·
in 1995 I had a similar vehicle issue related to an "unpaid parking ticket" in San Francisco. We weren't even living in the U.S. when the ticket was written. This "unpaid ticket" prevented me from renewing the vehicle's registration.

I contacted the traffic court clerk's office in SF, and to my surprise the lady was very helpful. It turns out that some meter maid made an error on the license plate, and the vehicle description did not even match my vehicle. It was dismissed.

#19 ·
Guilty until proven innocent......

#21 ·
I once knew a guy named John Smith, He had nothing but a nightmare with that name. He went and legally had his name changed and all of his problems went away.
That was when we had Telephone books with the white pages and there was two full pages of John Smiths.
Ronnie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.