Gander Mountain Going Out of Business! - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gander Mountain Going Out of Business!

I just left the St. Augustine store. They haven't seen that many customers since their grand opening. However, the prices are still too high. All firearms/ammo are only marked down 10%, i.e. still too high. Clothes are marked down 15-20%.

Distinguished Member
    Retail seems to be taking a hit, H.H.Gregg closing, Sears, K-Mart and Penny's might not be to far behind. Can't last with high prices and poor service.
    Glock 26
    Fl CWL holder
    NRA member

Almost all of the stores are in a rented building, They have to pay "RENT". The owners of the property has the huge problem of having to pay a huge property tax, The owner also has to pay a huge Insurance bill on the building. The Property owner likes to make a huge profit on his property.
    The Stores that were not smart enough to buy their own property and put up their own buildings are in very deep trouble.
    Sears, K-Mart, Penny's, Gander Mountain, Circuit City, H.H.Gregg are just a few of them and not one of them owns the property or building they have their business in.
    Around my area, most commercial property is owned by foreigners, or investment company's from other states.
    Walmart, That old guy had the right idea. Buy the land, Put up the building, OWN it. """NOT RENT ANYTHING""" Self insured, And now Walmart usually has a few store fronts that they rent out to other businesses.
    The way things are going, Walmart will be the only big "one stop shop" store around. Most other stores will just be on line or gone completely.
    Ronnie

Oh, The retail store still has to pay all kinds of insurance which is not cheap.
    Last edited by Ronnie948; 05-07-2017 at 03:00 PM.
    N.R.A. - FLORIDA CARRY - D.A.V. - American Legion - M.C.A.--- U.S. Army disabled Veteran, GOA
    If you are not a member of the N.R.A. - It is time to join - Turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members
    If your not a member of FLORIDA CARRY it is time to join.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySea View Post
    Speaking of their employees. I had gone into the St. Augustine store and asked why they did not have any kind of grease for guns. The employee stated we don"t carry any. When asked why, the employee said because this is Florida. I stated something like what does that mean he simply said "we have sand here".
    He should have said, "We have ***t for brains here."
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Distinguished Member
    I saw a story last night that said the new CEO of GM plans to keep about half the stores open, dependent upon whether they can renegotiate leases (i.e. - "we'll stay if we can pay less in rent"). I used to stop at GM stores periodically, but due to being completely underwhelmed each time I went into one of their establishments, quit bothering with it a few years ago.

It is really very hard for a property owner (Management) to lower the rent due to the Taxes and insurance costs are atrocious.
    I hope the new GM can get it done in some places.
    Ronnie
    N.R.A. - FLORIDA CARRY - D.A.V. - American Legion - M.C.A.--- U.S. Army disabled Veteran, GOA
    If you are not a member of the N.R.A. - It is time to join - Turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members
    If your not a member of FLORIDA CARRY it is time to join.

According to St. Johns Co. records, the local store is owned by Gander Enterprises. Their taxes are ~$21,000/year. I suspect that their FPL bill may even be higher.

Just went by the one in Town 'n Country. They must not be too anxious to sell out, because they were only offering 10% - 20% discounts on most stuff. That only gets the price down to about what everyone else charges in the first place. And no discounts on guns or ammunition.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Denverd0n View Post
    Just went by the one in Town 'n Country. They must not be too anxious to sell out, because they were only offering 10% - 20% discounts on most stuff. That only gets the price down to about what everyone else charges in the first place. And no discounts on guns or ammunition.
    I've never felt Gander Mountain was too anxious to sell anything, even before their impending bankruptcy and store closures came to light. I say that based on every single visit to their stores so I'm not at all surprised they're going out of business!
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

According to AL.com, three stores are staying open in Florida: Jacksonville, Ocala, and Palm Beach Gardens.

List is down the page: http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/201...river_home_pop
    Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton.......

Sposors