Florida Concealed Carry banner
9K views 61 replies 19 participants last post by  Riverpigusmc 
#1 ·
My fiance has a charge from 7 years ago for battery on a leo and resisting arrest (both are felonies) but adjudication was withheld on both charges; is he still able to get a concealed weapons permit? I've heard diffrent answers but nobody I have asked really knows; I really just don't want to pay the 102 bucks for no reason.

:aarg:dunno:pistols

#2 ·
Final disposition? Withheld means postponed, usually for a specific period until certain conditions are met. :dunno

#3 ·
Welcome to FCC, princess.chele! :wave

First, I would ask has your fiancé called DOACS to discuss his situation with them and/or has he talked with an attorney competent in Florida firearms law? Yes, a consult with an attorney will likely cost more than the application fee, previous run-ins with law enforcement create tedious legal questions and eligibility for a FLCWL likely hinges on the specifics on your fiancé's case, which he may not be comfortable discussing in an internet forum. :dunno

Secondly, I would like to suggest that you go to the Introduce Yourself section of The Front Office and start your very own introduction thread. With your own introduction thread, you'll find the rest of the FCC membership will chime in to properly welcome you to the forum, too! Besides your immediate question, there's lots of great information and help to be had from the members here. :grin

Again, welcome to the forum!

#4 ·
Sorry. Allow me to be the first one with a cold response.
Your fiancé battered a police officer and now wants to carry a concealed firearm?
They should have locked him up. And if he's the kind of person to do that please rethink marrying him.
Because if he will beat up a cop what is he gonna do to you in a dark home when you two are all alone and he loses his temper?
Better men out there my dear.

#7 ·
To answer the actual question:

IF adjudication was withheld, he's completed all court requirements (probation, etc...) and it's been at least 3 years since said completion of requirements, Yes, he is eligible for a CWFL.

Be prepared to submit documentation proving all of the above.

#10 ·
:thumsup That was a better way to answer her question because the answer is conditional on unknown facts, which is why I didn't give an answer; I didn't have enough facts and referred them to discuss their situation with DOACS and/or an attorney. :grin

#15 ·
Actually, I don't think it's really the same brain as he would have if he survives long enough to mature. But what I meant to imply with my poorly worded question was NOT that he should be treated lightly (no adjudication, probation, etc) but that our justice system DOES usually treat minors lightly, sometimes for repeated offenses. There should be a limit, but as others have said, we don't know the details, we're guessing.

#16 ·
The OP bailed

#17 ·
Gee, wonder why?

She comes here looking for information and all you knights in rusty armor try to save her virtue....knowing g absolutely NOTHING about the facts of the situation.

Nice job.

#31 ·
Wow! I never used this forum before and didn't realize there was this many replies until after I posted back to oe of them. I really appreciate you all taking the time out to give your opinions and more importantly your advice.

Just for the record; I am actually not the one paying for his application; he is; but being that we live together and pay bills together money wasted comes out of both of our pockets.

He has completed all of his terms of probation and as I stated hasn't been in trouble since; (excpect our seat belt ticket a couple months back -_-)

I am going to school to be a paralegal and have since realized that the way laws were written they are meant to be interpeted, they really aren't as black and white as they may seem... even after reading the handbook and all the questions on the application it seems as though he is entitled to having a cwp; but I know there is still a chance he may not... I was just wanting some real feedback and not something posted on a government website.

#37 ·
How locked in is this fiance thing? I saw your profile pic :grin

#43 ·
Pig is a Marine, he likes girls, she's an attractive girl, what don't y'all understand? Now if she wasn't about my grand daughter's age............. Emoticon Facial expression Yellow Smiley Smile

#53 ·
In today's world one can be arrested for battery on a LEO and resisting and face no penalty if it is their first offense or if they have money and a good lawyer or if they are from certain areas or are of a particular persuasion.
This is no different than people I personally know with multiple DUIs who never did a day in jail.
Some things are beyond me. But the op explained it as a barfight or something and her fiancé got sucked into the middle of it.
Arrested but never convicted. Not so much of a surprise to me.

Let's just hope he really is a good kid and has learned from this.
The only thing I find strange is that she not he came here for advice?

#58 ·
Nah, she was real. However, she ran across me and her lust was so intense she knew she had to leave before it ruined her pending marriage :nangel

#62 ·
welcome back darlin' :grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.