Florida Concealed Carry banner

My first rifle competition tomorrow!

6K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  2411 
#1 ·
My friend and colleague, who has been a serious pistol and rifle competitor for many years, has been trying to get me to do this for years.

Tomorrow is the day. I'll be at a competition at Port Malabar. Three targets at 300, 500, and 600 yards... 20 shots each.

I'll be using this rifle:

Ammo will be:

Should be fun!

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Alrighty! I had a ball! This was an NRA Mid-range High Power Match. My very first shooting competition of any kind. You get two sighting shots, and then 20 shots for score. 300, 500, and 600 yards.

I was in the newer discipline set up for ARs... the Tactical Rifle "discipline." There were 9 shooters in the Tactical Rifle group, and I placed 7th overall. The Port Malabar range has a REALLY neat electronic scoring system! Each shot comes up on your iPad. You don't have to have a partner in the "target pit" to mark the target. And, the match moves much more efficiently.

It was very windy today! Wind was from left to right at 15 - 20 mph, which made it a bit challenging.

Here are my targets and scores:

300 yards. I screwed up the screen capture, so I had to splice it in photoshop to get all 20 shots listed.

500 yards.

600 yards. On this target, I ran into a trigger problem about half-way through. I was pulling the trigger all the way back and no bang. Then when I released the pressure... bang. This happened a few times. And, it threw my shots off. Then, I couldn't get it to go bang at all. My friend then noticed that the trigger pin had walked out. Pushed it back in and I was back in business with normal trigger behavior.

#8 ·
Spread... as in the point spread among shooters?

#12 ·
Here's the the results sheet for my category. I'm #7 out of 9 shooters. You can see the spread of the scores. I think I did pretty well. My friend, who competes a LOT (in a different discipline today), said I did really well for a first-timer.

Names redacted for privacy.

#13 ·
This is what it looks like from the 600 yard line.

#18 · (Edited)
He uses "globe" sights.

Front sight looks like this, except it's mounted beyond the muzzle on an extension tube that clamps on to the muzzle.

The rear sight looks like this:

Sight picture looks like this:

#23 · (Edited)
Thanks! The electronic scoring is the s**t! Makes things MUCH more efficient. And, it's just cool to be able to see your shots show up on your iPad in real time.

Reportedly the only 600-yard range left in Florida.

#27 ·
Doing it again tomorrow! Hopefully, better weather = better results!

#28 · (Edited)
My 2nd rifle competition today! Same range - Malabar. But, this time it was three matches, all at 600 yards (instead of 300, 500, and 600 like last time).

In the first match, I apparently "cross-fired" one round (into my neighbor's target), though I certainly didn't remember doing it. But, they say the electronic scoring system doesn't lie. :) And, dammit, it was a "10-ring" shot! but, it counted as a miss. So, I would have scored 195, instead of 185!

Here are my targets and scores:

For comparison, on my one 600 yard target from my first competition, I scored a 188-2X. So, I improved a bit this time around. :)

#32 ·
Just wait until I get good! ;) I had never done this before and no practice at all. The first time at 600 yards, three weeks ago, we had 20 mph crosswinds. Today, the winds were calmer. 5 - 10 mph, maybe. This is all with factory ammo... Federal Gold Medal Match 223 77-gr.

#31 ·
Here's a nifty way to compare my four 600-yard targets.... One from the last competition, and three from today's competition. This is using my Second Amendment Firearms Database program (reviewed here on FCC).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.