My thoughts on the Hearing Protection Act
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My thoughts on the Hearing Protection Act

Distinguished Member

Lightbulb My thoughts on the Hearing Protection Act

http://regularguyguns.com/2016/12/07...ction-act.html

In a nutshell, if this bill becomes law, the onerous process of purchasing a suppressor becomes moot. No longer would people looking to purchase a suppressor be subject to the time-consuming process of the National Firearms Act. Suppressors would be treated like normal “Title I” (pistols, revolvers, most rifles, etc…) firearms and could be purchased and taken home the same day after the standard federal background check. Also, the $200 tax on suppressors will be nullified. People who purchased a “can” after October 2015 (the month the bill was drafted) will be eligible for a refund of their tax monies.
    Shameless self-promotion, sorry guys!
    http://regularguyguns.com/ - my no-frills gun blog.

Distinguished Member Buckingham's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pod View Post
    http://regularguyguns.com/2016/12/07...ction-act.html

Shameless self-promotion, sorry guys!

Why should they be treated like a firearm and need background checks? It's just another accessory at that point!!

No need for all that for an accessory.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Telum Pisces View Post
    Why should they be treated like a firearm and need background checks? It's just another accessory at that point!!

I agree. But I'm looking at it from the perspective of getting the law passed. If you ask for too much up front, it'll get shot down in committee. Hence I put "public safety" in sarcastic air-quotes.

Leaving the NICS check provision in throws the opposition a bone. If they whine about "the children" or "assassination weapons", we mention that the background check provision essentially remains unchanged. All the HPA does is strip away the tax and bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Telum Pisces View Post

I agree, but as the current bill is drafted, they would be treated as long guns.
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.
    Join Florida Carry

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rvrctyrngr View Post
    I agree, but as the current bill is drafted, they would be treated as long guns.
    Which is a huge step. In the terms of the long-term game, I'll take it. If picking up a can at the LGS is no worse than picking up a rifle, I'm cool with that for now.

The ultimate goal is to have it like they have in New Zealand, where you can just grab 'em and go, no questions asked. Guns are often bundled with cheapie disposable suppressors down there.

Distinguished Member Buckingham's Avatar
    Too late for my hearing but not for future generations. I suspect Hollywood has had an outside influence in why suppressors were included in the NFA to begin with. Weapons shooting in the movies with a sound like a gnat's fart (unreal) would have undue influence on people not accustomed to firearms.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckingham View Post
    Too late for my hearing but not for future generations. I suspect Hollywood has had an outside influence in why suppressors were included in the NFA to begin with. Weapons shooting in the movies with a sound like a gnat's fart (unreal) would have undue influence on people not accustomed to firearms.
    At the time, Hollywood didn't really have the influence it does today. That being said, the mass media did, which is partially why the NFA came about. Blood in the streets, all that nonsense. Suppressors got tossed on there for no really good reason.

However, I will agree that Hollywood's portrayal of suppressed firearms led to them being left on the NFA. I suspect if the entertainment industry left the issue alone, they would have been removed a long time ago from the NFA.

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    Just my opinion:

In Florida, the only state statute that applies to silencers is 790.001. Silencers are defined as (Title I) firearms.

Some states have restrictions that require silencers to be possessed in-accordance-with federal law i.e. Firearms in violation hereof which are lawfully owned and possessed under provisions of federal law are excepted.

We need to keep some level of federal (Title I) restrictions in order to keep silencers legal in states that have the "owned IAW federal law" provisions.
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by pod View Post
    Which is a huge step. In the terms of the long-term game, I'll take it. If picking up a can at the LGS is no worse than picking up a rifle, I'm cool with that for now.

The ultimate goal is to have it like they have in New Zealand, where you can just grab 'em and go, no questions asked. Guns are often bundled with cheapie disposable suppressors down there.
    Most places in Europe, you can't buy guns easily (if at all), but you can by cans just about anywhere.
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.
    Join Florida Carry

Sposors