Marines to Suppress an Entire Battalion

Thread: Marines to Suppress an Entire Battalion

Distinguished Member ctsheepdog's Avatar
    Palm Beach area (Connecticut escapee summer 2015)

Marines to Suppress an Entire Battalion

Sounds like a great idea but surprised they have not tried this before.

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...battalion.html

Super Moderator
    Interesting! Thanks for posting.
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    When they figure out how to suppress a 50 BMG rated for full auto, we will have the (technology) key to the kingdom.

Then pass the Hearing Protection Act, and pass the technology and lower price on to the public and we will see the first of the return of US manufacturing to our great nation.
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Response from a friend who knows a thing or three about the topic and keeping things running:

"Sweet Home Alabama story is funny. The Corps. Article, one I don't know about. A LOT of negatives with regard to weapon maintenance and accelerated wear, not to even mention them burning through cans like crazy. I think they would be better to spend their money on good ear pro with microphones that integrate with their comm. That would solve their comm problems I think - that's how we do it.

Furthermore, I don't know of a can that could withstand sustained fire from a M240 or a SAW. They'd have to make the WHOLE thing (or least 1/2 or the first 1/3 of it) out of something exotic like Inconel. Which will be pricey, add cost also when including 2 cans for every machine gun because of the two barrels for each."
    "It is one thing to show a man he is in error, and another to put him in possession of truth." - John Locke

“To expect the unexpected shows a thoroughly modern intellect.” ― Oscar Wilde

Distinguished Member Buckingham's Avatar
    This sounds like an idea I wish I had thought of. Dam sure worth trying.

Is this the military internet answer to "The Onion?" Would the suppressor for a 50 M2 HB look like a pony keg? A five shot burst of 50 BMG at 450 rpm produces a heck of a lot of gas.

Geoff
    Who notes we need "hush-a-boom" the imaginary silent explosive from "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show" TM.
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member 7.62Kolectr's Avatar
    There are .50 bmg suppressors. They don't really make that huge of a difference. But what they do is further hide a distant shot from a high power rifle. More like a muffler I guess. Forget who makes them?
    ¥ The origin of your right to keep and bear arms ¥
    http://constitution.org/lrev/rkba_wayment.htm
    COTEP#782

Quote Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
    There are .50 bmg suppressors. They don't really make that huge of a difference. But what they do is further hide a distant shot from a high power rifle. More like a muffler I guess. Forget who makes them?
    Several manus put there serving the single shot and semi auto market. AAC, AWC and OSS come to mind.
    "It is one thing to show a man he is in error, and another to put him in possession of truth." - John Locke

“To expect the unexpected shows a thoroughly modern intellect.” ― Oscar Wilde

Distinguished Member 7.62Kolectr's Avatar
    This is interesting

The noise of gunfire can create an artificial stimulus that gives the illusion of effectiveness, he said. When it's taken away, he explained, Marines pay more attention to their shooting and its effect on target.

The need for addtl cleaning is real and I hope they teach these guys that. If not you could have some really silent guns as nobody's will be working.
    ¥ The origin of your right to keep and bear arms ¥
    http://constitution.org/lrev/rkba_wayment.htm
    COTEP#782

Sposors