Post 41F, are you doing the NFA dance? - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Post 41F, are you doing the NFA dance?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TitleIIToyLover View Post
    First, go to your CLEO's LEA and ask for any public records concerning the ATF NFA notification policy. If there is not a published policy, ask to see the appropriate person and discuss the ATF notification process and how you think it relates to 790.335. Look at the funny look on the other person's face. Document you discussion.

Submit a Form 1 and send the local CLEO the notification. Wait 9 months and do a FOIA or simply a public records request for anything to do with yourself and your notification. See what pops.

Now in reality, I figure the CLEO is going to do whatever they want to do and you will never know how they handle your notification, but it is fun to fantasize about we the people having oversight over our public officials.

My new sheriff elect has stated on the local talk radio station, that he is in favor of gun registration. I speculate that no opportunity will go to waste.

Just me thinking out loud.
    I'm sure the political hack for Metro down here isn't much better.

It's why I'm wondering out loud about submitting them to the state CLEO...it may be easier to hold him accountable, plus maybe there's a chance he's more pro-gun than the guys down here?
    http://regularguyguns.com/ - my no-frills gun blog.

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pod View Post
    I'm sure the political hack for Metro down here isn't much better.

It's why I'm wondering out loud about submitting them to the state CLEO...it may be easier to hold him accountable, plus maybe there's a chance he's more pro-gun than the guys down here?
    This is what the instructions on the form say...

Law Enforcement Notification. The applicant must provide a copy of the Form 1 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction over the area of the applicant's address shown in item 3b of the Form 1. In addition, if the applicant is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire,for each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff; the Head of the State Police; or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor..

So, I think you could get away with sending it to FDLE. But???

There are other ATF documents that address the specific issue, but technically I think this is the latest.
    Last edited by TitleIIToyLover; 09-07-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

Think the notification retention policies fall under 27 CFR Parts 178 and 179.
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

https://www.thethreepercenters.org/

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    According to the Form 4 instructions "if the transferee is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire, completed by each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer" as well.
    Correct. Left that out for other than an individual.

Of course, y'all could just call NFA branch. Nice folks up there.

(304) 616-4500
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.
    Join Florida Carry

Quote Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
    Think the notification retention policies fall under 27 CFR Parts 178 and 179.
    ???
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by TitleIIToyLover View Post
    ???
    That was the only statute I could find that dictates retention periods for LEAs in regard to firearms.

I recall reading recently that a LEA got in a bit of trouble for not destroying notification copies in a timely manner.
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

https://www.thethreepercenters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
    That was the only statute I could find that dictates retention periods for LEAs in regard to firearms.

I recall reading recently that a LEA got in a bit of trouble for not destroying notification copies in a timely manner.
    I could not find anything using your citation. Can you clarify the citation please. Thanks.

Sposors