Florida Concealed Carry banner

Sure was a chore with the new password BS.

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  edgehill 
#1 ·
I got it done after about 20 minutes of BS. The forum is losing it's appeal, y'all should make it right or it looks like it'll go away. Long time member lookin' for "CHANGE", not Obama kind of change.

#2 · (Edited)
I had the same hassle with 3 different forums. Evidently, it was the template the forums bought, not the content.
However, this is the future. Soon, you'll have a hundred passwords, none will be remembered, and we'll be locked out.

I finally made an Excel spread sheet with all the sites and user names and passwords, and stored it on a thumb drive. I try to make passwords something that means something to me, but not anyone else, but now the format of passwords gets crazy. "Must be 10 characters, including one uppercase, one number and one symbol."

I had some software that did an update, required a 6 digit code that they e-mailed to an OLD e-mail address and now I'm locked out of my own software. I have no way to retrieve the code, and no way to update my e-mail because I can't log on. Customer service was no help (after 31 minutes on hold). "Let me check something" {click, dial tone}

#3 ·
I had the same hassle with 3 different forums. Evidently, it was the template the forums bought, not the content.
However, this is the future. Soon, you'll have a hundred passwords, none will be remembered, and we'll be locked out.

I finally made an Excel spread sheet with all the sites and user names and passwords, and stored it on a thumb drive. I try to make passwords something that means something to me, but not anyone else, but now the format of passwords gets crazy. "Must be 10 characters, including one uppercase, one number and one symbol."

I had some software that did an update, required a 6 digit code that they e-mailed to an OLD e-mail address and now I'm locked out of my own software. I have no way to retrieve the code, and no way to update my e-mail because I can't log on. Customer service was no help (after 31 minutes on hold). "Let me check something" {click, dial tone}
This is what I recommend for everyone. Create such a file (even a simple notepad.txt file) but name it something mundane and keep it hidden somewhere unexpected so it does not attract attention. Preferably, keep it on an "encrypted" drive if you do that. You need only remember one password to access the encrypted drive.

Consider also getting something like this - Attribute Changer... It's a program that lets you alter a file's attributes, especially the "date modified" parameter. In the case of a "password file," it can help because you can make the file look like one that hasn't been updated in a long while, as opposed to one that gets updated all the time (which I'd expect a password file would be, as might an IT thief scanning your directories). After that, it's all about where you hide it and among how many different files it's hidden (needle in a haystack sort of thing).

I usually don't favor the pre-programmed software for password protection, because those are, most likely, the primary targets for hacking. I'm a strong DIY proponent... and doing things no one else would expect.

#5 ·
It's been a wild 3 days!

Here's a brief log of the past 3 days:

I changed my PW very early. I believe it was June 23rd. The new PW worked flawlessly until Saturday, July 30th. Since the 23rd, I still saw the warning that all passwords had to be changed, but I was able to log in. On 7/30, the warning message about changing our PWs disappeared, but so did my ability to log in. I tried my new PW several times, then tried the old one, and finally gave up a requested a temp PW.

I received the temp PW OK, but there was just one little problem - it didn't work! I tried several times, and used up my 5 tries. Waited an hour and tried again, but no success. I requested another temp PW, but the second (and subsequent) requests went unanswered and I was unable to log in for the rest of the weekend.

This morning I sent a PM to Edgehill via another forum and explained the problems I was having with FCC. I asked him to contact the admins to see if we could get this problem resolved.

When I got home later this evening, I had an email from Khanh and a response from Edgehill too. There were new links to reset my PW. Strangely, these links worked, but I still had a pop-up message saying the PW didn't match what was on file???

I logged out, closed my browser and rebooted the computer. I was expecting success, but my new PW didn't work again! I tried to log in again, but it didn't work until I used the last temp PW they sent to me. I again tried to change the temp PW, and for some reason, this time it worked! I still got the pop-up saying the new PW didn't match what was on file, but I was allowed in.

Everything seems to be working now, but there are obviously still a few bugs in the code for changing passwords.

A Special Thanks to Edgehill and Khanh for helping me out so quickly.

Regards to All,

Owl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.