Suppressor Export Act - legalize commercial export of US suppressors

Thread: Suppressor Export Act - legalize commercial export of US suppressors

Distinguished Member

Suppressor Export Act - legalize commercial export of US suppressors

http://americansuppressorassociation...f-suppressors/

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The American Suppressor Association (ASA) is pleased to announce the introduction of the Suppressor Export Act of 2016 (SEA), H.R. 5135, by Rep. Chris Stewart (UT-02). This legislation would require the State Department to allow the exportation of American made suppressors to existing commercial markets in friendly nations abroad.

American suppressor manufacturers are known world-wide as producers of the highest-quality firearm suppressors available on the global market. For this reason, allied foreign militaries and government agencies regularly equip themselves with American-made suppressors. Many foreign countries around the world also have thriving, well-established commercial markets for suppressors. These markets cater primarily to target shooters and hunters, and represent a major growth opportunity for the burgeoning American suppressor industry. However, the U.S. State Department currently prohibits the exportation of U.S. manufactured firearm suppressors to commercial end users, hindering the potential growth of domestic manufacturers.
    This is good news. If we can grow our domestic suppressor manufacturing base, it's harder to ignore the suppressor industry as a whole.

Conversely it'd be great if things went the other way, too. Right now it's a royal pain to get import cans cleared for much of anything Stateside.

Quote Originally Posted by pod View Post
    http://americansuppressorassociation...f-suppressors/

This is good news. If we can grow our domestic suppressor manufacturing base, it's harder to ignore the suppressor industry as a whole.

Conversely it'd be great if things went the other way, too. Right now it's a royal pain to get import cans cleared for much of anything Stateside.
    I may be a bit behind, here. I'm starting to see more advertising for suppressors on TV, Internet, Twitter, etc. But I was always under the impression that suppressors are still NFA items that require the tax stamp, etc. Has that changed (or will it be changing)?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
    I may be a bit behind, here. I'm starting to see more advertising for suppressors on TV, Internet, Twitter, etc. But I was always under the impression that suppressors are still NFA items that require the tax stamp, etc. Has that changed (or will it be changing)?
    Yes, they are NFA items - you still need a stamp, and (until July 14th for most people - after July 14th it's actually easier in a way to file as an individual) a trust to get a suppressor. Despite this, suppressors are very very popular considering the hurdles.

Sposors