eForms update delayed again...

Thread: eForms update delayed again...

Distinguished Member

eForms update delayed again...

Just got an email...

The new eForms has been named the “Firearms and Explosives Application Module (FEAM)”. This name was selected to emphasis that FEAM is more than a “fillable form”. It is a business process module which will include at a minimum the functionality listed below:

· Auto assignment – All applications will be immediately upon submission assigned to an examiner for processing.

· Auto approval – Some forms, like the ATF Forms 2 and 3, if they meet certain pre-determined criteria will be automatically approved by the FEAM system upon submission.

· Internal controls and performance measurement reporting – ATF has a full audit trail of every application received with date and time stamps for every step in the process. Digital signatures can be used to lock down portions of the form to ensure the security of the data and the authenticity of the submitter.

· Improved business processes with automatic Records Management & Retention, as mandated by the Office of Management and Budget.

· Electronic Signature (for submitter and ATF personnel) - provides enhanced authentication, validation and improves processing and approval.

· Enhance Industry satisfaction: user-friendly interaction.

· FEAM provides the Application Program Interface (APIs) needed to update the existing ATF back end databases, to allow for the batch submission of multiple forms using one computer session.

· Improves efficiency for the Enforcement Programs and Services staff – Forms can be automatically routed, evaluated and tracked so that final determinations can be made in a consistent and expeditious manner.

We had hoped to be able to present the first iteration of FEAM at the 2016 SHOT Show. ATF performed an assessment of what was contracted to be developed for FEAM and what the contractor planned to deliver. At the end of the assessment, all parties involved felt that the product outlined in the current contract did not fully provide all the functionality that we expected, or that the industry requested. For these reasons we decided that rather than to continue on the current course, we would take the steps listed below to ensure that FEAM is a worthwhile investment for both the industry and ATF:

1. Curtail the current development effort.

2. Determine what is needed to sustain the existing eForms system, until the full requirements for FEAM can be determined and developed.

3. Make the necessary changes to eForms to stabilize the infrastructure with the ever-increasing user population.

4. Determine if we can re-introduce the Form 3 to the current eForms, through load testing and other system validations.

5. Perform an assessment of the ATF and industry requirements for FEAM.

6. Secure required funding for a new FEAM initiative, based on the revised requirements.

7. Restart the FEAM initiative, to include industry participation during the requirements gathering and testing processes.

We look at this as only a minor delay. It is our intention to use this delay to acquire the tools and resources necessary to develop a product that will provide more functionality and a stable workflow process and infrastructure. All the work previously done on FEAM is not lost. It will be the foundation for the work that is yet to come.

Distinguished Member 7.62Kolectr's Avatar
    Eforms should really result in instant approval. If all things are met like it says, certain criteria than why should there not be a system that automatically approves things? Then dealer make BC on you and if you get an A you're on your way. I still don't understand the months long wait?
    ¥ The origin of your right to keep and bear arms ¥
    http://constitution.org/lrev/rkba_wayment.htm
    COTEP#782

I would really be nice if it did work on a Auto-Approval system then my collection would multiply overnight, but I'm sure the delay is intentional so that 41P will be in full effect.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member 7.62Kolectr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ex95B10 View Post
    I would really be nice if it did work on a Auto-Approval system then my collection would multiply overnight, and then I'd be broke,but I'm sure the delay is intentional so that 41P will be in full effect.
    Fixed that for you or er uh me should I say....
    ¥ The origin of your right to keep and bear arms ¥
    http://constitution.org/lrev/rkba_wayment.htm
    COTEP#782

Quote Originally Posted by Blanca Busa View Post
    Fixed that for you or er uh me should I say....
    Broke is a temporary state of mind….

Distinguished Member
    41F led to me understanding in more detail how the NFA process works in Martinsburg. In a trust situation, they have to check for accuracy of all information on the trust and on the Form 1/4. Now, when I set up my trust, the only pertinent info they had was of me. Then when it got back to the dealer (DSC) they were the ones to do the NICS check. In an individual situation the NFA branch does the NICS check.

I don't see why they can't at least partially automate the individual route. Disallow handwritten forms. All forms must be electronic or at least filled out via a PDF which is then printed for OCR purposes. Everything is tied together in a "packet". The system checks for accuracy and queues up the packet for a human operator to run the NICS check. I'm allowing for the human operator since I'm guessing the FBI will want that "air gap" between NICS and NFA. The operator just has a queue of applications, which he processes. Delays/no-go ones are shunted off to a separate team so that way the front-line operators don't get delayed dealing with appeals, etc.

Of course we could just get cans off of the NFA to start. The bulk of NFA's work is from suppressors.

Hey, wow, look, the ATF is really doing something nice for us! They are fixing the e-file system so we may be able to get instant approval to REGISTER and pay an extra tax on our "special" firearms.
    Thank you ATF.
    Your welcome. It's working so well that we have decided that all firearm sales will now follow this process.

I'm all for getting instant approval for my suppressors and SBRs. I don't think for one minute that they are putting any work into speeding up the process for my benefit. I'm more for taking suppressors and SBRs out of the NFA/GCA.

Sposors