41P is coming, who do we lobby for "shall certify"? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 41P is coming, who do we lobby for "shall certify"?

Distinguished Member 7.62Kolectr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pod View Post
    I think an NFA machine gun has been used twice in the commission of a crime since the NFA was instituted.
    Crimes using registered suppressors and SBRs and so on are so statistically insignificant it's not worth talking about.

Now, here's the catch, especially with SBRs and SBS - criminals will take normal Title 1 firearms and saw down the barrel on occasion. I doubt they are sending a Form 1 to Martinsburg and waiting for the stamp to come back.

The old trope about the "sawed-off shotgun", basically. But even then, those crimes are insignificant in the grand scheme of things. Why is a thug going to chop down a shotgun when a pistol will do the job he wants?

The NFA itself was a knee-jerk reaction to a small spate of crime in the 1920s & 1930s, where in only a few instances were the items the NFA covered used. It was an early example of "doing something".

The government knew they couldn't revoke the 2nd, so they figured out a way around it. Initially the NFA was to demand registration and taxation of all firearms, actually, which would have led to a de facto ban since $200 back then was a lot of money. The "compromise" was to restrict some items under the guise of "doing something". SBRs, SBS, machine guns, and (inexplicably) suppressors.
    And one of those times an NFA gun was used it was done by a cop.
    ¥ The origin of your right to keep and bear arms ¥
    http://constitution.org/lrev/rkba_wayment.htm
    COTEP#782

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zukinut View Post
    SO then the trust I have but have not used yet will still be able to used? I won't need a amendment to it?
    Depends on the trust. Contact the attorney who drafted it. If it's an online-generated trust, go to their site and get the direct info of the lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by pod View Post
    Depends on the trust. Contact the attorney who drafted it. If it's an online-generated trust, go to their site and get the direct info of the lawyer.
    The one who did mine got spanked and lost his practice. Probably homeless now?
    COTEP#782

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanca Busa View Post
    The one who did mine got spanked and lost his practice. Probably homeless now?
    All kidding aside, with the new rules, I would want to get it checked out.

When do the new rules go into effect as far as additional steps that will need to be taken with trusts?
    I mailed some last week, delivered yesterday and will be opened tomorrow.
    Are they going to be processed as normal?
    COTEP#782

Distinguished Member
    When do the new rules go into effect as far as additional steps that will need to be taken with trusts?
    I mailed some last week, delivered yesterday and will be opened tomorrow.
    Are they going to be processed as normal?
    I think it's 180 days after final approval and publication in the Federal Register. Also there will have to be some accommodation for applications 'already in process' which is currently defined.

Distinguished Member
    It's 180 days from when 41P is in the Federal Register. So if it's in there, the new rules come into effect in July. So you have until July to get paperwork to the ATF. So if you get a can in late June and the forms make it to Martinsburg before the date, you are good to go under the old rules.

Are we certain 41P is a definitive thing? In the executive order potus directs atf to find a way to prevent trusts from buying things.
    It also says ATF is in process of finalizing the rule for review? So I don't think 41P is in its final form yet even?
    COTEP#782

Distinguished Member
    Are we certain 41P is a definitive thing? In the executive order potus directs atf to find a way to prevent trusts from buying things.
    It also says ATF is in process of finalizing the rule for review? So I don't think 41P is in its final form yet even?
    No it is not final yet.

I think it's going to backfire on Barry. He is lying to people when he suggests criminals are buying huge numbers of scary automatic bullet sprayig baby killers (or silent deadly killing machines that can fit in a pants pocket), by using one non-prohibited person to set up the trust.

The reason many/most people started using trusts was due to the difficulty of getting a CLEO sig-off. Getting a trust involves an additional expense, which many people will be happy to avoid. The secondary 'benefits' - multiple people using the item in question and no need for additional sets of fingerprints ans simplified estate planing - was not the initial driving force. With the new rules (if they are found to be lawful) one can still receive these benefits, it's just that each individual 'responsible party' (as yet undefined) will need photo and prints.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    No it is not final yet.

I think it's going to backfire on Barry. He is lying to people when he suggests criminals are buying huge numbers of scary automatic bullet sprayig baby killers (or silent deadly killing machines that can fit in a pants pocket), by using one non-prohibited person to set up the trust.

The reason many/most people started using trusts was due to the difficulty of getting a CLEO sig-off. Getting a trust involves an additional expense, which many people will be happy to avoid. The secondary 'benefits' - multiple people using the item in question and no need for additional sets of fingerprints ans simplified estate planing - was not the initial driving force. With the new rules (if they are found to be lawful) one can still receive these benefits, it's just that each individual 'responsible party' (as yet undefined) will need photo and prints.
    Out of everything he said last week, his statements on trusts and NFA were the most boldfaced lies. Everyone who follows the NFA item acquisition process is subject to a background check.

Sposors