Pros/Cons of going the SBR route vs. handgun in .300 Blackout

Thread: Pros/Cons of going the SBR route vs. handgun in .300 Blackout

Pros/Cons of going the SBR route vs. handgun in .300 Blackout

I have a Sig PM400 in 300 blackout on its way to me. It comes with the Sig brace. I imagine that anytime it is out of the safe my Omega suppressor will be mounted to the gun. I'm debating whether to leave it as a handgun or to get the stamp to make it an SBR on which I will put an adjustable shoulder stock.

Some negatives that I see if I go the SBR route:
    It will obviously cost me another $200.

If I should ever want to sell the gun or even just the lower, it will be much more of a chore than if it had not been registered as a SBR.

The pluses of an SBR:
    I can obviously shoulder the gun without fear of the NFA.

I can change out the upper to a carbine length barrel rather than keeping the 9" barrel on the gun.

I can add a VFG, although I don't see myself ever doing so, therefore not really a plus for me.

When transporting the SBR I may have it encased or out in the open in my vehicle. I'll caveat that by saying I think that's the case. I know there is some debate regarding that, but I believe a long gun in Florida may be transported in a vehicle without being encased. I believe that would then extend to the SBR. Not really an issue for me, but I like the option.

Negatives of keeping it as a handgun:
    I cannot shoulder the weapon, although I may replace the Sig brace with a cheek rest such as the KAK Shockwave Blade or the Thordsen Pistol Cheek Rest, which may be plenty sufficient.

The gun must be either completely concealed or securely encased when being transported. Not really an issue for me.

Can never put a 16" or longer barrel on that lower. Not sure I'd want to though.

Positives of it staying a handgun:
    Save $200

Re-sale will be a lot easier should I ever decide to do that.

Something else that could be figured into the pros/cons is travel outside the State of Florida. Depending on which State someone is going to and the mode of transportation, there may be less hassle and less hoops to jump through depending on whether it's a handgun or a SBR. Some States, I believe, don't even permit NFA items. Others have weird rules if the handgun is in a rifle caliber. Regardless, it takes a letter to the BATF at least annually to take the NFA items out of State. These are concerns that I do not presently have as I do not foresee leaving Florida with my .300 blackout or the suppressor, at least not for several years.

What else am I missing? Which direction would you go and why?
    Last edited by firemediceric; 11-21-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Distinguished Member deadeyedick's Avatar
    I say go the SBR route...I think you'll probably be less inclined to want to sell it if you do. And I've always thought the Sig brace was a completely ghetto workaround to building a true SBR.

Don't know why you wouldn't be able to put a longer barrel on a pistol lower though; I'm not aware of any maximum legal barrel length for pistols.
    "It's Fumbles...it was always Fumbles."

Dr. Calvin "Fumbles" Killshot

Distinguished Member 7.62Kolectr's Avatar
    ^^^this

$200 over the life of the gun and you is a small amount. Yes it's a pain and hurdles and a long wait but you already have the gun as a pistol. I think all you have to do is file a form 1 and wait? When stamp comes back, engrave it and buy the rifle stock parts you want and put em on. No?
    ¥ The origin of your right to keep and bear arms ¥
    http://constitution.org/lrev/rkba_wayment.htm
    COTEP#782

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Barrel length is not an issue.

More legal flexibility if kept as a handgun.
    Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife.
    -Justice Oliver Wendel Holmes
    Brown v. United States, 1921

...against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic.
    Join Florida Carry

There is nothing wrong with selling an SBR lower as a regular lower to anyone. You just need to tell the NFA folks to pull it off the registry. Also, once a rifle, always a rifle.

Most the gang I hang out with at the gun club SBR their 300s. If you have the time and money shouldering is still more fun
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell
    NRA certified pistol & RSO
    NRA Life member

Thanks for the input guys. I see some of your points as playing out both ways. I see definite advantages to keeping it a handgun, but at the same time I see some advantages to making it a rifle. When I weigh those pros/cons, it's probably a wash depending on how I'm feeling when I think about it.

Once I get it I'll see how I do with the three points of contact of my two hands and a cheek-weld. If that's not cutting it for me and I decide I just must shoulder the gun, well then the SBR route it shall be.

Sposors