Analogy
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Analogy

Analogy

A guy walks into a Lamborghini dealer and wants to buy a fast car. The price is $200,000.00 + 7% sales tax so to buy it he must pay $214,000.00 then the dealer tell him he must also pay $2,000.00 tax for the National Auto Act which adds an extra tax to vehicles that are able to achieve a speed of over 150mph. Oh by the way the Lamborghini is 25 years old and despite the brand new cars on the lot he can only buy the old one because the new ones are only for Police and Military use. He must take an application form to the local sheriff to sign off that he approves the purchase of such a dangerous auto. There is also the possibility the sheriff may not sign off so no fast car for you unless you create a legal trust to own the fast car but hurry as that loophole may be closing soon. Also he must wait 6 months or sometimes up to a year for the paperwork to go through and he must pay everything upfront. Also he must allow inspectors to come in unannounced to inspect his car to make sure it is stored so that no one else but he may drive it alone. This also means no valet parking and no loaning to a friend. Being a man of disposable income and love of fast cars he pays and waits begrudgingly and visits the dealer to see his car a few times while waiting for his paperwork to clear.

Another guy walks into an electric car dealer and decides these cars are great for the environment and they are almost silent because there is no combustion noise. The price for this car is $50,000.00 and is also subject to the same taxes as the fast car driver. 7% sales and $2,000.00 for the NAA tax. He also must wait the 6 months as well.

The last driver has an original Mini Cooper he has restored from the frame up and now wants to drive it. He is informed his car is too small and dangerous so he must also be subjected to the same NAA taxes and waits as the above drivers.

If you have a motorcycle with a displacement over 500cc and you have anything other than a straight exhaust pipe you are subject to all three taxes, fast, short and with a muffler.

These taxes are to make sure no fast, short, and quiet cars fall into the hands of people like DUI offenders, negligent drivers who have been convicted of crimes involving other vehicles and all major of ruffian as the chief LEO has decided.

Welcome to the NFA.

Good analogy except for this part:

Also he must allow inspectors to come in unannounced to inspect his car to make sure it is stored so that no one else but he may drive it alone.
    If you're not an FFL holder then your ownership if NFA weapons does not alter your 4th amendment rights. "They" can't show up at your house and demand to see your guns or papers or anything else. A lot of people believe this misconception so I just didn't want to let it be perpetuated.

I don't know that the NFA will ever go away since the Federal government has the constitutional power to tax, but I hope the Hughes amendment dies in court someday so that transferable machineguns can once again be made.
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, HFS, PPITH, PPOTH) and Chief Range Safety Officer
    Florida Carry Life Member, SAF Life Member, NRA Endowment Life Member
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Defensive Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)
    Need a defensive force "legal plan"? Consider Self Defense Fund (SDF). Feel free to PM me with questions.

I knew that for the Suppressors and SBRs but wasn't sure about MGs. I am trying to get a good analogy for when discussing with non gun people about the NFA. Most don't see the absurdity of the NFA and think restrictions are a good thing.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    The auto analogy is often used when discussing the NFA, and firearm rights in general.

That being said, if the left had their way, exotic automobiles would be taxed as you mention.

Distinguished Member
    I do not use an auto analogy.

There is no 'right' to own any car.

You must be licensed and insured to own any automobile, not just a Lambo....

Too many holes.....I'd rather argue the point from a historical perspective.
    Patron Life Member National Rifle Association
    Life Member Illinois State Rifle Association
    Member Parents of Murdered Children

"A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it."
    The reason that we argue is not to be right, but to come closer to the truth.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tominator View Post
    I do not use an auto analogy.

There is no 'right' to own any car.

You must be licensed and insured to own any automobile, not just a Lambo....

Too many holes.....I'd rather argue the point from a historical perspective.
    To "own" or to register and drive on public streets?
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Distinguished Member
    In Illinois you must have any motor vehicle registered and licensed. Not sure of other states...
    Patron Life Member National Rifle Association
    Life Member Illinois State Rifle Association
    Member Parents of Murdered Children

"A free man must not be told how to think, either by the government or by social activists. He may certainly be shown the right way, but he must not accept being forced into it."
    The reason that we argue is not to be right, but to come closer to the truth.

Distinguished Member Endangered Species's Avatar
    How about a federal tax to own a "dangerous breed of dog"? Just as absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHunter View Post
    To "own" or to register and drive on public streets?
    That is what I was thinking. If convicted of DUI you may need to surrender your license but I don't believe your car needs to be sold. You can own but not use on public roads.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tominator View Post
    In Illinois you must have any motor vehicle registered and licensed. Not sure of other states...
    So a person in Illinois has to have a driver's license to privately "own" a car that's not driven on the street? I'm thinking of a collectable car kept in permanent storage or on loan to a museum. And said car must be registered and insured as if it would be driven on the street?
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Sposors