Florida Concealed Carry banner

Carry in gun stores

20K views 61 replies 24 participants last post by  Shifter 
#1 ·
This may sound like an odd question but can you legally carry concealed into a gun store. I only ask because when I use to live up in Ohio (and when they first past ccw laws) carrying concealed firearm into a gun store was not allowed. I know some of the stores up there still don't allow it despite the law change. How about here in Florida?

#5 ·
The link is incorrect, as it lists one prohibited place as: "any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption"

The corrected version is: "any portion of an establishment licensed to dispense alcoholic beverages for consumption on the
premises, which portion of the establishment is primarily devoted to such purpose"

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf

Yes, you may concealed carry into a firearms store (if you're licensed). Just do not expose it or take it out of the holster, or you'd likely be told to leave. If you then didn't leave immediately, you could be arrested for trespassing. Concealed is concealed.

#10 ·
I legally OC to and from my LGS

#20 ·
surprised face...

Attachments

#12 ·
This may sound like an odd question but can you legally carry concealed into a gun store. I only ask because when I use to live up in Ohio (and when they first past ccw laws) carrying concealed firearm into a gun store was not allowed. I know some of the stores up there still don't allow it despite the law change. How about here in Florida?
Yes, period, end of sentence.

#62 ·
In this example, as was said before, that's a policy - not a law.
CC should, if you are doing it right, not exist in the minds of people around you.

I can put up a sign that says "no fruitcakes allowed" on my storefront.
Does that make it illegal for a homosexual to come in and do business? No.
But if I had a sign that said that, why would he want to do business with someone that clearly thinks less of him or her?
(This is an example so nobody get worked up if I have offended you.)
The same is true of these "business signs" that make exclusions.

My Philosophy is this - Concealed Carry does not exist until you have dire need of the weapon. Period.
Conceal well, and carry on.

#15 ·
:popcorn

#18 ·
#19 ·
Ditto - good advice from BeerHunter. If you're going to own firearms in Florida, and especially if you're going to get (or already have) your CWFL, then you need to read literally every word of chapter 790. It wouldn't be a bad idea to add chapter 776 to the homework assignment while you're at it.

#25 ·
I always thought it funny that the very people who need us to survive distrust us to be rational and responsible gun owners...yet are willing to sell us firearms, now that is ironic!
Franklin

#26 ·
This is the only kind of sign about guns that I want to see when entering a business I'm going to give my money to.

Advertising Signage Sign Banner Display advertising

#30 ·
:rofl

I love this place...

#38 ·
Lou Police Supply have several big signs to carry inside unloaded, open and locked back... I don't have time for that, nor wanna do it in my car nor find it wise... so I don't. But still go there how many times I want and haven't been told once anything. Concealed is concealed... even when I'm sure that in that store, always packed with cops and staff, someone most have noticed..maybe. I haven't seen ONE customer yet with an open and locked gun there. But I might be wrong. I totally understand the signs and therefore show respect concealing better than usual :grin

#39 ·
These signs aren't posted by gun stores to keep people from carrying. They're posted for liability insurance and to keep anyone from actually unholstering their weapon for any reason (trade-in, show the sales clerk, or other). Anytime an idiot unholsters their weapon (in a LGS) the trigger is exposed and allows for the inevitable "Oops, it was an accident (not)"! Owners & managers of LGSs try to make their stores "idiot-proof" by not even allowing the loaded weapon to be unholstered there. Hence the signs, intended for potential idiots.

#40 ·
I always do. Never occurs to me to leave my gun in the truck. On a couple of occasions, I have purchased something related to my EDC, so I always ask if I may unholster it to compare or install, etc., and I've never had someone say "no". Each time they have said, "Yes", and something along the lines of, Thank you for asking before unholstering it."

I've never shopped in a police supply place, though.

#41 ·
I always do. Never occurs to me to leave my gun in the truck. On a couple of occasions, I have purchased something related to my EDC, so I always ask if I may unholster it to compare or install, etc., and I've never had someone say "no". Each time they have said, "Yes", and something along the lines of, Thank you for asking before unholstering it."

I've never shopped in a police supply place, though.
this...sir....is the secret to tranquility and total internal peace....its the jackwagons who whip em out and muzzle everybody who screw it up....

#43 ·
My indoor range is Orlando Gun Club. There is the sign, that I've seen elsewhere, stating no loaded weapons are to enter. When we talked about it I found the owners thinking, and actions, to be quite reasonable. Basically, as many gun shop owners have attested, the sign is a general principle to avoid accidents at the counter. Also, it does make the casual gun owner (i.e. not a regular) stop and think. For those that are concealed? Well, concealed is concealed and is not an issue. a concealed weapon will never leave its holster except in extraordinary circumstance. It's all good and welcomed.

...and if you really need to un-holster, then simply tell the range officer and head out to the range and sort it out. There really isn't a need for such a massive debate and hair splitting over this issue that is discussed every 30 days on a new thread. I'm starting to think that we've run out of topics. Mind you, I'm about to reask about a hundred newbie reloading question next month. wink-wink

#46 ·
i legally open carry at bass pro shops....but they kick me out when i drop a jig in their aquarium....:dunno

#47 ·
:laughing

#58 · (Edited)
Originally Posted by BountyHunter View Post
I only ask because when I use to live up in Ohio (and when they first past ccw laws) carrying concealed firearm into a gun store was not allowed.
Are you sure about this? When Ohio passed concealed carry I got my license within a month and I never remember this law.
There's a difference between "not allowed" and "illegal."

One is a rule or policy set by a private entity (you are free to ignore without legal consequence unless you refuse to leave the premises).

The other is a law enacted by the municipality, state, or country.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.