Florida Concealed Carry banner

How to Enter a Forum

810K views 72 replies 42 participants last post by  196THL.I.B.GUNNER 
#1 ·
How to Enter a Forum...

That sounds silly doesn't it? Why would I have to learn how to enter a forum? I just sign up and post right?

It would seem on the surface to be that easy, but I see a lot of people have a real hard time...

Over time forums create a very tight community. Everyone learns the rules and looks out for each other...

That's the first thing... Read the rules. Different forums approach how you display links differently or even what you can talk about...

The other thing is don't come in gang busters!! Don't try to prove yourself and get to excited about showing everyone your knowledge etc....

Get to know the community first. Hang out for a while. Introduce yourself politely... Usually there is a separate area set aside for intros (here)... And then start browsing.

Get to know the other posters... Remember a lot of these people have known each other for a while. They may even be doing business behind the scenes...

Once you have a feel for it, start helping out.

Helping out... If you have any knowledge to contribute, provide it... Help people with things you know about.

Learn... Read... Learn... Read some more... Ask questions...

Then let it rip if you want to.

The bottom line is very few people can go crazy right off the bat... There is an exception here or there, but usually the community wants to see you contribute for a while before you get bold. They need to get to know you.

It's just like building any relationship. Easy at first until you get to know each other.

Forums are powerful things. Don't abuse that power. And don't ruin your reputation...

See less See more
#2 ·
I hope I didn't mess up! :smack

Let me be the first to say that I've not yet graduated Elementary School for Firearms. By 1995 I thought I knew everything there was to know. By 1996, I realized I knew nothing. It's taken me that long to get to the fifth grade. I learn so much in every class I take, I try to take it again since I know my retention is nowhere near 80%. I learn tons in the classes I teach. Every week I see about 30-60 people, and every week I pick up some very valuable information.

This forum is a great resource. A BIG thank you to all who started it, moderate it, and contribute! :drinks

#25 ·
I’m still in kindergarten where firearm knowledge is concerned and want to learn as much as humanly possible.

Opinions are another story, I have zillion of those! I don’t get my feathers ruffled easily but I have a tendency to forget, at times, that others are a lot more sensitive than I am. The one thing that carrying a gun has improved is my understanding of the sensitivity of others and to stay away from pushing their buttons, regardless of how tempting they may make it at times. ;)

There is much to learn and I want to make good use of what little leisure time I have online. The more I’ve learned about any particular subject the more I come to the realization that I know nothing, firearms and laws about them have been no exception.

#4 ·
I agree as well. I am a poster on half a dozen or so other forums on the web and have been for years (I still don't know how I've missed this gem until recently!) and the best advice is to walk softly at first, the community has been there with established members that know each other and stand up for one another and you don't want to step on toes.

#7 ·
+1, good info swamprat but were you just posting that for an fyi or did I miss something, has there been a lot of that going on? I have not been on as much as I use to, but I personally have not seen it.

I hope I have been around long enough to give a few people crap like TampaSsgt and Little Bear Holsters.

#9 ·
So good.. I made it a sticky! Thanx Swampy:drinks

#11 ·
Thanks SwampRat - well said.

There are some of us in here who have been around and bantered back and forth enough that we don't take offense with each other on what we post. Someone new has to earn the right to do that.

I'm not trying to be elitist or anything but I'll take flak from you or Dave or Glock-24 or some of the other regulars entirely different than I would from someone that is new - go easy at first then build up.

#12 ·
what did you call me??? Its glock23, get it right :rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf:rolf

just kidding. I assume this is what he was talking about. If I was new here, I would not dare joke around with you like that Paladin, but your good peeps, so............. game on :rolf

#13 ·
Life is funny.
At age one I knew nothing. At eighteen, I knew everything. At forty eight, even when I'm positive, I'm not sure. At this rate by year seventy I'll be in diapers again. At eighty, well, say hello year one.
I love this verse; the Bible says even a fool seems wise...when he doesn't speak.
Another good one on unsolicited advise; fools won't heed it and wise men don't need it. Most of us fit in there somewhere.

#14 ·
Every year in the FD we get a new crop of rookies... same-o, same-o

#17 ·
Wow, SwampRat. Your post makes me proud to be part of this forum. This is a great group of posters here. They are what makes this place wonderful.

#18 ·
I've been on this forum for a couple of months now and occasionally have an opinion to post...This is going to be one of those times..Hopefully we are all here for the same reason..To learn and teach about Concealed Carrying, weapons, and self defense, etc..Most if not all of us are fed up with crime and criminals..Most if not all of us realize which segments of society commit a large percentage of the crime...But, it is not necessary, IMHO, to constantly race bait on this forum...I get the distinct impression some of the members of this forum may actually be people of color:eek:..Why would you want to insult people who think like you and want what you want out of life? Kidding around is one thing, as Franklin and I can attest. Debate is another thing, as Triniman and I can attest. But making comments just for the sake of being rude needs to be tempered...Rant over.
:drinks

#23 · (Edited)
it is not necessary, IMHO, to constantly race bait on this forum.
Could you please PM me with an example or two of race-baiting in this website? The legal history of the U.S. system of "racial" classification happens to be my field of study and the topic of my doctoral dissertation. Because of this, I am usually alert to any mention of "race." I would honestly be grateful if you could point out any race-baiting messages that I may have missed. If you prefer not to PM me, you may email me at fwsweet@backintyme.com. Thanks.

#22 ·
Bump to top since we have a lot of "feathers getting ruffled" lately

#24 ·
Bumping, again!

It seems like the dynamic of the group is now changing. We've got a lot of new members and some out of state participants as well. Most importantly, we're all different here, that's what makes this group great. For the most part, we've long been able to discuss, debate, even argue, then kind of agree to disagree then move on civily on this forum. A lot of us would agree that that is what makes this forum different from others and is believed to be the key to this forum/group's growth and success. We all hate to see that dynamic being undermined by "chest thumpers." So, if something is said and you take a personal affront to it, please remember that this is a family oriented site and keep the insults and inuendoes to yourself.

#29 ·
bump, here we grow again!

As Brownie has said so many times before, "Search is your friend."

#33 ·
Agreed Glock Mom, 3.10 AM? I thought I was a Night Hawk!

This is a friends forum, I think, after our get together in the Ocala Forest, and putting faces to our monikers, even more so.

Rudeness will not be tolerated, just the way it should be. It has always amazed me, in life, how insults are passed around, remotely, forum, or phone, that would not be done face to face.

Back to steal an hour, love Sundays. What am I saying, I am retired!

#34 ·
Good Bump Up Glockmom. This and the rules should be on the top of the list of things to read before members are granted membership.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.