Is it legal for bikers.... - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Is it legal for bikers....

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan H View Post
    How about the several other entire COUNTRIES where it is legal, and the supporting data from them (aka nothing negative) to say there's only benefits? It's funny to think some people actually believe the USA is the end-all-be-all of law making and opinions.

You know the reason 49 other states haven't legalized it? 'Cause barring all empirical evidence that it is safe, they are too scared to even TRY it, and they get the panties in a bunch when they think about someone making it to their destination faster than themselves.
    What about it? Some countries assign the right-of-way, at an intersection, to whichever vehicle blows its horn first. Look, because something is allowed, does not make it a good idea. Let me give you a couple of examples.

Traffic is stopped. A motorcyclist is riding between the lanes of stopped traffic. A motorist spills hot coffee in his lap. He opens the driver's door to step out to mop the coffee off of his lap. The motorcyclist crashes into the open door and possibly even strikes the driver as he begins to exit the vehicle. Who is at fault? The motorcyclist. Why, because the motorist is operating legal within his assigned lane. There is no regulation prohibiting him from opening his door and exiting while stopped, as long as he does interfere with traffic in another assigned lane. What the motorcyclist did is tantamount to simply running into the back of the stopped vehicle.

Now, two vehicles are traveling side-by-side in adjacent individually marked lanes. By law, they are entitled to use the entire width of that lane for their travel. A motorcyclist is overtaking them by traveling between the two vehicles. The two vehicles move closer to the line separating their lanes and squash the motorcyclist like a bug. Who is at fault? The motorcyclist.

All human interactions require rules. This is so that people will know what to do in a given situation and what they can expect in a given situation. Traffic rules are no exception. They are usually developed and enacted to provide the greatest degree of security for people who are operating motor vehicles or interacting with those who are. If people wish to allow motorcycles to bypass other traffic, then specific lanes should be provided for them, as they are for bicycles and pedestrians. That way everyone knows what to expect.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Blanca Busa View Post
    I speak about 1 and you redirect and mention 49?
    The 1 I speak of has zero statistics showing its dangerous.
    I don't care about the other 49.
    The only 1 we are talking about has no problem with it.
    Actually, the motorcycle accident rate has gone up in the last few years, in Claifornia. And the CHP has issued rules or guidelines on the practice of lane splitting. If there were no negative results, it is unlikely that such guidelines would be issued. Traffic management professionals know that this practice is potentially very dangerous. This is one of the reasons why it is only legal in California, the Cereal State.

Distinguished Member ZO6Vettever's Avatar
    I wouldn't think so but couldn't swear to never doing it but didn't make a habit of it as it is dangerous.
    Sent from my rotary phone.

Remember, we're all on the same side!
    Assault a senior will get you a minimum of 3 years, pursuant to Florida statutes, should you survive.
    US Army Vet Dec.1965 - Dec.1971

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

It may be legal in California but no way will I try it here.
    NRA Life Member
    Florida Carry Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mac45 View Post
    Traffic is stopped. A motorcyclist is riding between the lanes of stopped traffic. A motorist spills hot coffee in his lap. He opens the driver's door to step out to mop the coffee off of his lap. The motorcyclist crashes into the open door and possibly even strikes the driver as he begins to exit the vehicle. Who is at fault? The motorcyclist. Why, because the motorist is operating legal within his assigned lane. There is no regulation prohibiting him from opening his door and exiting while stopped, as long as he does interfere with traffic in another assigned lane. What the motorcyclist did is tantamount to simply running into the back of the stopped vehicle.
    That's a great example, also it is a rare one and not one to cry about or get the panties in a twist over. If you're going to OPEN YOUR DOOR in traffic, hot coffee or not, you should be checking your mirrors regardless. I'd put the blame at 50/50. Dumbass driver and his hot coffee in an unsecured container (just a recipe for disaster to be quite frank) and the cyclist for not going slow enough to stop in time.
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol)

Sposors