Florida Concealed Carry banner

Gunsmith Gallery

7K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  SEE IT LIKE A NATIVE 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I emailed them the following email:

Sirs,

I was at your gun shop today and noticed the sign on your door stating "No loaded guns or magazines". If a restaurant had that sign on the door, I would find a new place to eat. In my book, the same philosophy applies to your gun shop.

Your store should say "CCW holders are always welcome" or, "Thank you for being a CCW holder" or "We encourage CCW" or, "We believe in your Civil Right to CCW".

Take care,

My name and address and phone# was attached

#5 ·
I emailed them the following email:

Sirs,

I was at your gun shop today and noticed the sign on your door stating "No loaded guns or magazines". If a restaurant had that sign on the door, I would find a new place to eat. In my book, the same philosophy applies to your gun shop.

Your store should say "CCW holders are always welcome" or, "Thank you for being a CCW holder" or "We encourage CCW" or, "We believe in your Civil Right to CCW".

Take care,

My name and address and phone# was attached
Got any money invested in that gun shop?

No? -- hmm, who to hell do you think you are telling them what or how they should run their business? When you take responsibility for their losses and/or pay their premiums, you then have a say in how that business is run. Until then, you're just another swinging Richard coming through the door.

#6 ·
Does your LGS say "NO LOADED GUNS" on the front door?

I visited a new local gun shop today. On the front door it says "No loaded guns or magazines". I emailed the owner and asked why they were anti -gun?

In his reply he states; "The overwhelming majority of firearm stores have these signs on the front doors of their shops".

I can't think of any shops that I frequent that state this. How about you? Does your gun shop say no loaded guns allowed?

Dave

#12 ·
I visited a new local gun shop today. On the front door it says "No loaded guns or magazines". I emailed the owner and asked why they were anti -gun?

In his reply he states; "The overwhelming majority of firearm stores have these signs on the front doors of their shops".

I can't think of any shops that I frequent that state this. How about you? Does your gun shop say no loaded guns allowed?

Dave
most shops have similar signs, you can't imagine what tools do in gun shops

#8 ·
I don't go to the gun stores often and the last two guns I've bought were private sales. However, most that I've seen say no loaded weapons. I've heard that they do it to try to prevent some idiot from handling a loaded gun if they are checking a holster, etc.

As far as I'm concerned, it's thier store so they can put whatever they want. Signs don't hold weight in Florida anyway and I can choose where to spend my money.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

#10 ·
If it says "No loaded guns" I bring an empty wallet

#11 ·
She brings up a good point. The LGSs around here dont have signs, but its unspoken that you leave your gun in its concealed holster. Its kinda like anywhere else that you carry concealed, but people seem to think its different for some reason. If you are going to be handling the firearm, they ask you to go outside and unload it before coming back in.

#17 · (Edited)
You've offended my present profession all over the US with your BS statement I'd automatically be considered anti 2a/guns due to a freakin sign that is placed there for several other reasons, not the one you believe it represents.

You haven't been here long enough, but search and you'll find I'm not anti 2a or guns, and if i choose to throw a sign on the door stating no loaded firearms, that doesn't automatically make me anti or pro anything. In fact, if you made that claim on an open forum like this, I might be tempted to take you to task for libel for injuries to my reputation and perhaps monetary damages suffered due to your BS statements that are false.

I happen to NOT have signs on my doors stating no loaded firearms, that doesn't make me anti or pro 2a/guns any more than the sign would if it were posted.

#18 ·
i have seen this at My LGS .. i dont like it but , hey its there house . when i have people over to my house i asked them to not have loaded arms in my home , with me kids and wife . when i say loaded . i mean one in the chamber and the side locked and laoded .

#20 ·
I doubt that the owner of a gun shop is anti-gun. If he was, he would be operating another business, such as an ice cream shop. What he probably is is anti-careless idiot. There are a bunch of idiots out there and some of them carry guns.

#25 ·
1) The anti-gun comment was asinine.

2) The owner has an absolute right to post said sign.

3) I have the absolute right not to patronize said owner.

I saw one of these shortly after moving here and asked the proprietor if that applied to CCW (there were no other customers in the store). He looked at me like I was an idiot and said no guns means no guns. Haven't been back, won't be back.

#26 · (Edited)
most guys with operating heads on their shoulders would say that you and your weapon are welcome in his shop as long as it remains holstered and out of sight. if you plan on displaying the weapon for repair, appraisal, holster sizing, common courtesy would be to bring it in unloaded. that is a lot to put onto a sign so you get the no loaded gun signs.

#27 ·
maye it will help if you come to the realization that a gun shop is one of the few places where guns are displayed regularly by gun owners...unless you are in the habit of unholstering your gun in walmart or the local restaruaunt to show it off this should make perfect sense to you...

anytime a loaded gun is handled there is a possible hazard...when someone tries a new holster, decides to try a new gun in their holster or just wants to show someone their gun...when you put it into perspective its not so hard to believe a shop owner wouldnt want loaded guns in their shop...

many gun shop owners will tell stories of guns placed on their counters loaded after the owner assured them the gun was unloaded...and a few could even tell you stories about an errant hole in the wall...

gun stores are the only place people regularly display their firearms...asking for a little safety measure isnt all that bad an idea...

i think the op needs to poop if it bothers him that much...brownies full of poop anyway so losing some of it isnt going to solve the problem either way...:grin

#30 ·
anytime a loaded gun is handled there is a possible hazard...when someone tries a new holster, decides to try a new gun in their holster or just wants to show someone their gun...when you put it into perspective its not so hard to believe a shop owner wouldnt want loaded guns in their shop...

many gun shop owners will tell stories of guns placed on their counters loaded after the owner assured them the gun was unloaded...and a few could even tell you stories about an errant hole in the wall...

gun stores are the only place people regularly display their firearms...asking for a little safety measure isnt all that bad an idea...
This is perfectly reasonable, and had this been the response to my question, he might still have a customer. Having left the range on several occasions because of the idiot density, and having seen the quality of CCW training at some of the gun shows, I get it.

I went to another place and asked the same question. The response was along the lines of what you posted, followed by, "as long as it stays in the holster you're fine. If you draw, we're gonna have a problem". He has a customer.

#28 ·
There are two LGSs in my local area, excluding the tiny ones with little to no inventory. Of the two, both have signs prohibiting loaded guns. One, Shoot Straight, has flat out told me that no loaded guns means no loaded guns. The other, Fowler Firearms, told me that so long as a firearm remains concealed, it is of no consequence. Guess which one I go to.

#29 ·
Common around here and for good reason due to a much older group of shooters. Last year we had 3 NDs just in one Walmart due to carrying guns without a holster. However, no one asks and no one tells.

#35 ·
Good lord Brownie, how do you stay out of jail with that short fuse? :D

Nearly every store around here has them. Key word in concealed is "conceal". Personally I don't care if you want me to carry in your business, home, car etc. You'll never know I'm carrying anyway unless the crap goes bad! I ignore the signs, no legal weight anyway. The one retail store I do use (Jimmy's in Fort Walton Beach) has asked me quietly once if I was carrying and I was offended and gave a haughty "yes I am" with a what about it attitude. The manager the said good, help me keep an eye on that guy over there! Silly me jumping to conclusions when they prefer that I violated their sign. I guess it's for strangers! Just one more reason I drive 2 hours just to purchase a gun.

#37 ·
Just in case impressionable readers are looking at this, it might be a good idea to honor the sign posted at a business where most of the employees are armed and one of them might be Brownie. I can see the owner talking to the officer over your prone body now, "He came at me. Feared for my life. Had to shoot him."

There are a number of shops which do allow concealed carriers who are known to them carry in the store. Then again, some owners mean NO when they say NO.

#36 ·
I frequent four locals. Two have signs prohibiting loaded guns and mags. People at both say that it's for insurance reasons. The third shop says nothing, and the fourth has a sign saying no loaded guns except licensed CC, and to keep it concealed.

I have no problems with any of them. Too many people who frequent gun shops tend to wave them around improperly while there, something that they would not do in other places of business. Each shop owner needs to do what he thinks is best to keep things safe for all of us, so I cut them a little slack. As long as they're not obnoxious about it, I abide by their rules.

#39 ·
Sign or no sign, I frequent a place that provides timely, knowledgeable, and friendly service. The sign is nothing personal, just business. I will keep the gun concealed. If I have to have something done to it, I unload it, lock it back and put it in the original case. When they are ready to see me, then I hand them the case and let them handle it. That was the way my Dad taught me, plus I don't want to end up on the wrong end of someone like Brownie. :)

#40 · (Edited)
I stopped in today and looked around. I DON'T like gunshops that are anti-CCW. Why on earth would they have a sign on the door prohibiting loaded guns and magazines?

Dave
Well when I was there to pick up my G26 sight.. I went in still loaded and concealed as I was on my motorcycle and had no place to clear my weapon... Walked in and told them as much. I politely inquired if they had any place I could clear the weapon; if not I would come back another day in my car.

Them: "No problem sir, please move slowly, drop the mag and hand us the weapon with two fingers"

Me: "There is one in the pipe, I would prefer to clear it before handing it to you"

Them: "please do so in a safe direction"

All went well, they installed the sight, and brought my weapon back and placed it on the counter next to my mag and Barney Fife round.

Me: "would you mind if I re-load?"

Them: "Huh? oh yeah sure, no problem"

The moral of the story is it is their store, they are wanting to go home at night. I don't blame them for their signage; there are a LOT of ID10T's who walk in the door.

Respect is earned IN BOTH DIRECTIONS, and I suspect that in the future they will have no issues with my carry in their store.

#42 ·
Whatyaknow--a reasoned well thought out mature response under the circumstances set forth, from both parties involved. :thumsup

Others would have turned and walked away, refusing to do business with them. As likely they'd think the establishment was anti 2a/gun as well as they took their offended arse somewhere else :rofl

#46 ·
You'd think people in the business would at least know rule #1: Treat every firearm as if it were loaded. I was in my favorite store today buying my first 9MM since one let me down in 1995. Every idiot in there handling the rifles were painting the entire place. The most disturbing thing was that some of the workers were the ones doing it. I loudly asked the sales lady if I could please complete my purchase without shopping further due to everyone pointing guns at everyone else. It got real quiet for a few seconds, then everyone starting being more careful. I understand the reason for the signs and agree that it's their right to require such things. If I need my carry gun worked on, I enter the store without the firearm and tell them I'll be coming in with one, mag out and slide back. Then I go get it and bring it in. Lucky for me I'm a certified armorer on my carry guns so I've never had to do so but once. All my others will enter in a case, mag out, slide locked back or bolt out / open on long guns. Since my carry gun is not my reason for visiting the store, it is carried concealed and no one is the wiser.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.