Florida Concealed Carry banner

The Brownie Pop

5K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  BeerHunter 
#1 ·
#2 · (Edited)
The first link is myself at our first Integrated Threat Focused Training event called "Sightless in Tucson"

In the second link:

That's using the wrist to flick open the blade with a downward force applied first, which is not necessary to open the knife. The Pop is performed by the elbow, the wrist remains straight.

OrlandoDriver,

Thanks for the heads up on that link, I did not know that was out there and the skill is being performed incorrectly. Just more evidence that reading about how to do something isn't the same thing as getting the physical training in person.

Brownie

#4 ·
I think the spring assisted feature is a plus where getting the blade opened in a hurry is concerned.

Once one is familiar with that mechanism, the folder becomes faster to depoly with less effort, which can only improve ones chances of getting it into play quickly if the need arises.

Brownie

#7 ·
hesevil,

Is that the new SRK with AUS 8A Stainless Steel blade or an older model with the Carbon V tool steel.

I have a dedicated SRK attached to my Search and Rescue pack that's the older tool steel version with Carbon V that came razor sharp, holds an incredible edge under hard use and sharpens easily in the field.

It doesn't have to be tactical, per se, to be used tactically ;)

The SwampRat line of straights are very stout utility knives. They're connected with Busse knives and I believe are also made by Busse. Tough knives indeed.

I've been carrying a folder lately in anticipation of heading back east where a straight is frowned upon but have carried a custom straight blade for the last 4-5 years. Straights can be fast to deploy but it depends on the sheath system used and where it's carried about your person.

Brownie

#8 ·
The older Carbon V steel is far superior to the present stainless rendition both in edge retention and strength. You have a very good knife there sir.

Carbon V being cold rolled and a special run of steel made strictly for that company, they discontinued a lot of their line in that steel due to cost.

Brownie

#9 ·
My old Cold Steel Tanto (circa 1988) is of the Carbon V variety. I carried that knife for years in the Navy and ArmyGuard. Takes a great edge and holds it a good, long time. Love that blade.

#13 ·
Most any large folder will be quite capable of the pop easily. I can pop the knives like the Spyderco Delica [ a fairly small knife ] very easily, it just takes some dedicated practice on the smaller blades.

I practiced it so many times I now have 'Brownie Pop Elbow'.

:rolf You've apparently joined those of use who have OCD and practice till it hurts huh DE!!! :drinks

Brownie

#24 ·
Haha, seconded! I don't think my elbow has actually stopped hurting since we left class, because every time it stops hurting I take it to mean I should practice some more. =P

We've picked up a Spyderco Endura for hubby that he loves, and I have a new Kershaw Leek. Might have to find myself an Endura too though, I keep stealing it from him.

#14 · (Edited)
Now what kind of student would I be, sir, if I didn't practiced what was taught?

Right hand, left hand, I think I even do it in my sleep! Practice, Practice (Advil), Practice, Practice!

I ordered a couple of Enduras (plain edge, of course :D) since I absolutely cannot find the one that I have. The Benchmade I bought is a nice knife, but the smoothe steel case gets a little slippery in this 200% humidity we've had lately.

Question for you: Where can I order a mini-torx set so that the pocket clips can be moved?

#15 ·
I got mine [ the whole set of torx ] at a local Dollar Store.

Glad to hear you've been working on that skills set. I think you'll like the Enduras, little more effort to pop em over the benchmade liner lock but not much.

Brownie

#17 ·
Thanks, guys. I have a pantload of torx stuff, but nothing small enough to work on a knife. I'll check the local Ace (need a belt for my exhaust fan, anyway)...if not that, off to Sears.

Brownie, you'll be happy to know that after the weekend, my autos have been relegated to 'novelty' status! :D

#18 ·
Thanks, guys. I have a pantload of torx stuff, but nothing small enough to work on a knife. I'll check the local Ace (need a belt for my exhaust fan, anyway)...if not that, off to Sears.

Brownie, you'll be happy to know that after the weekend, my autos have been relegated to 'novelty' status! :D
I'm not surprised :D With a little practice there are other skills that "present" the blade for use that are eminently faster. :thumsup

Stay sharp

Brownie

#19 ·
Heh. Never tried the 'Brownie Pop' before. If I have a manual folder and I need to get the blade out quickly, I usually do a flick in a pakal (reverse) grip. Gave the 'Brownie Pop' a try last week and got it on the first try. I like it. :)

The only issue I have is the folder I usually carry is a CRKT with the 'Carson Flippers' on it, and they usually end up popping the blade out by the time I get the folder in my hand. I'll have to dig out some folders I no longer carry and give it a try. I'd like to make sure I can do it with all my folders. :D

-JT

#20 · (Edited)
Let us know how you how the other folders fare Cthulhu.

Keep in mind some folders are more conducive to this than others. Like all things in life some things help you and others fight you and make it a little more difficult. :D

SwampRat recently picked up another folder of the same size he has become accustomed to and the new one is quite a bit easier on his elbow based on our conversations since the class. He tells me his new folder can be popped with just a 2" lift. Very good economy of motion there as soon as it clears the pocket and can keep the draw from being trapped or fouled by an opponent either by design or by luck thereby reducing the risk of not getting it into play.

Brownie

#21 ·
I actually didn't think I would get it on my CRKT because I thought it was pretty stiff, but I got it first try. I think it helped that I wasn't really thinking about it or fixated on it. I picked up the night, thought, "Oh yeah, I'll try that," and 'click'. As fond as I am of the reverse grip, that little bit of distance gained by using a blade forward grip can make a big difference, so I like the 'Pop' for that. I also like it because I can readily engage the lock on the folder to keep the blade from making me a lefty, which I can't easily do from my usual reverse grip pop.

-JT

#22 ·
Funny, JT....working the 'pop' with a new CRKT...could not get it to work at all....then I discovered:

"Hey, RCR! Keep your : censored knuckle off of the 'flipper'!"

Worked like a charm after I resolved my analcranial inversion issue. :D

Oh yeah...this new one has an auto-lock...not sure if I like it or not. Nice knife, though.

#26 ·
I met a young man out in Texas during one of my K9 training trips. He used to cut the front of the thumbhole on Spydercos away creating that 'wave' feature. This was about 7 years ago.

Guess he should have applied for a patent! :D

#29 ·
I had a friend give me a Spyderco Chinook, the thing is STIFF. I remember Brownie saying to watch a movie and just 'jimmy' it open during the whole thing. It hasn't helped at all.

I'm wondering what I could/should use to help lubricate it? I know its the lockback portion as its in contact with the blade because if I squeeze it as if to release the knife from its open position, the blade moves freely. Its just the friction preventing the 'pop' right now.

#30 ·
Teter09,

I put flitz on the area of contact between the blade and the lock. Rotate the blade out a little at a time putting a small amount of flitz on the newly exposed area of the blade as it rotates open.

Then work it like you did while watching TV, but be careful, if you don't have the proper grip while working the action, the hand holding the handle could move just enough to catch that edge.

The Torx or whatever screw they're using now for the pivot area can be loosened a tad which will free up some of that stiffness also. Get some blue loctite, back the pivot screw off [ not all the way ] and put some on the screw threads. Then tighten it a little at a time until the blade has no lateral play when opened and let it sit for 24 hours. It will hold that tension from then on.

When you loosen and re-tighten the pivot screw, it's important the blade has no lateral play when opened or it's too loose and will wear the bronze washer on the pivot as well as potentially making the blade prone to opening a little in your pocket [ I'm sure you know what that suggests when you dive your hand/fingers into the pocket :eek:

Hope that helps

#32 ·
:grin Yup, that's the deployment method I've been practicing twice daily ever since I first learned it. :thumsup

#34 ·
It was cool when I finally figured out how to do the "pop."

The best way I can describe the motion is to pretend you're flicking a drop of water off the pivot-end of a closed knife.

Of course, it will need to be a decent-quality knife that has a smooth mechanism and a blade big / heavy enough to develop some inertia.

It works great with my Spyderco Schempp Bowie.

#35 ·
:thumsup Same for my Benchmade Griptilian! :grin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.