Florida Concealed Carry banner

Hollow points (budget)

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Earl 007 
#1 · (Edited)
Newbie, I don’t expect to find ammo deals now or in the near future, but I was wondering if there are/were decent 9mm hollow points under 40cents/rd. Would like to get something that I can carry and shoot a little at the range with the FMJ.

#2 ·
Most suppliers stocks are really low and prices are of course up because of demand. TagertSportsUSA has free shipping when they have stock. You can also try AmmoSeek.com but be careful of shipping charges of some of the vendors listed.

When you can afford to be choosy, I recommend you carry what LEAs issue, which I'm told is most commonly Federal HST or Winchester Ranger T, or Speer Gold Dot.

#3 · (Edited)
It’s all pretty expensive right now. If it was me, I’d just buy a couple of boxes of std. pressure Federal HSTs in 124 gr. and practice with Federal 124 gr. fmjs, saving the HSTs to carry. Once the pandemic is over, you should be able to find some better deals on hollow points, although for practice ammo I’d stick with fmj unless the cost doesn’t matter to you.

You will need to fire enough rounds of your hp carry ammo through your pistol to verify it will feed and function smoothly. Don’t make the mistake of assuming it will do so. You need to know for sure.

#4 ·
^^^^
This! Perhaps you knew this from your military days but NEVER depend on any firearm/ammo combination for your defense until you've verified to your satisfaction that it will be reliable on the street!

#6 ·
I just checked and although slightly higher priced than the $25/50 rounds I bought it for last year, TargetSportsUSA has 50 round boxes or cases of Federal HST in many weights in stock (147 gr HST is my carry ammo) for $39/box or $799.80 a case (free shipping on a case). I would recommend shooting ~200-250 rounds of the ammo you intend to carry through your carry weapon(s) to be reasonably sure of reliability when you need it. YMMV!

#8 ·
But our purpose is not to kill, our purpose is to make the bad guy stop what they are doing as quickly as possible. Ball may be somewhat effective at killing if you have time to wait for them to die, but I wouldn't count on it for defensive use unless I had absolutely no other choice.

#17 ·
At the pre-Corona price of around $0.17 per round (9mm) you'd have to shoot OFTEN to rack up any savings, especially if you include your time and labor.
Plus, I personally don't think it's a good idea to reload / manufacture your own personal protection ammo.
For one, you can't hope to have the same quality control measures as the big manufacturers, and for another, I can almost hear the Prosecuting Attorney now..... if it ever came to that.

#18 ·
I lean toward the theory; practice with cheap 124 gr ball ammo, usually under $10 box of 50 before runs on ammo. Then verify and carry Winchester White Box 115 gr HP 9mm. I carry Hornady Low Recoil 9mm, because my wife can handle it if I go down and she runs out of Hornady .38 Special Low Recoil.

Now, are the WWB 115 9mm HPs or the Hornady LR 9mm, the latest, greatest, FBI approved, YouTube Tested Greatest On Earth and Nearspace rounds? No. Will a bad guy be able to tell the difference if my wife and I are forced to shoot him, highly unlikely.

Geoff
Who has gained at least some wisdom along with the mileage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.