FBI Threatens Shutdown of Gun Purchase Background Checks as Massive Surge in Sales C - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FBI Threatens Shutdown of Gun Purchase Background Checks as Massive Surge in Sales C

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzie View Post
    This is happening almost everywhere, even Amazon can't keep up and most of the shipments are delayed. What I don't understand is toilet paper, is the virus giving you diarrhea?
    It’s giving people diarrhea of the wallet...ie...panic buying.
    Anyone interested in the 80's TV show Miami Vice? If so click here --->Miamiviceonline.com

The largest Miami Vice web site on the planet dedicated to all things Vice!

In times of very high volume, NICS slowing to a crawl isn't unusual at all. And this panic is nowhere near as heavy as the panic of 08/2012. Wait times yesterday were longer, but not so much longer that they'd have to shut down or their servers overloaded/inundated with requests.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

My house was broken into the other day while I was out trying to find a Virus test.
    I got home and found all my guns were there. All my $$$$$$ was not touched
    My big screen TV was there.
    Everything seemed normal until I had to use the bathroom.
    The darn thief stole all my Toilet paper.

Ronnie
    N.R.A. - FLORIDA CARRY - D.A.V. - American Legion - M.C.A.--- U.S. Army disabled Veteran, GOA
    If you are not a member of the N.R.A. - It is time to join - Turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members
    If your not a member of FLORIDA CARRY it is time to join.

An armed population conststs of CITIZENS"
    AN UN-ARMED POPULATION CONSTSTS OF "SUBJECTS

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

The article says that STATES may limit hours or shut offices. It does not say that the FBI is threatening anything at all. (Except in the misleading title)

Quote Originally Posted by pod View Post
    What's the law on this? I've heard conflicting information. Some have said if NICS is offline, FFLs can proceed with sales, but at their own risk if it bites them in the ass after the fact. Others say NICS is pretty much an "on/off" switch for FFL sales in the US.

Also, what of Florida? We're a POC state and run our own checks, but the FDLE system queries the same systems NICS does and we have our own researchers.
    F.S. 790.064(3):

In the event of scheduled computer downtime, electronic failure, or similar emergency beyond the control of the Department of Law Enforcement, the department shall immediately notify the licensee of the reason for, and estimated length of, such delay. After such notification, the department shall forthwith, and in no event later than the end of the next business day of the licensee, either inform the requesting licensee if its records demonstrate that the buyer or transferee is prohibited from receipt or possession of a firearm pursuant to Florida and Federal law or provide the licensee with a unique approval number. Unless notified by the end of said next business day that the buyer or transferee is so prohibited, and without regard to whether she or he has received a unique approval number, the licensee may complete the sale or transfer and shall not be deemed in violation of this section with respect to such sale or transfer.
    Last edited by BrianB; 03-19-2020 at 09:44 AM.
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, HFS, PPITH, PPOTH) and Chief Range Safety Officer
    Florida Carry Life Member, SAF Life Member, NRA Endowment Life Member
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Defensive Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)

Distinguished Member High Seas Drifter's Avatar
    Licensee "may . . ."

Does that also mean "is not required'?

-on Tapatalk
    • "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -The Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by High Seas Drifter View Post
    Licensee "may . . ."

Does that also mean "is not required'?
    The law doesn't force them to complete the sale. If they want to wait for FPP to get back to them they are free to do so. But if they want to complete the transfer it appears they can do so without violating that law. I think the FFL would be covered federally as well because I believe the federal rules are that in POC states you just follow your POC's procedures.
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, HFS, PPITH, PPOTH) and Chief Range Safety Officer
    Florida Carry Life Member, SAF Life Member, NRA Endowment Life Member
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Defensive Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)

Distinguished Member High Seas Drifter's Avatar
    OK, cool. Then we're thinking of the same thing. Thanks for posting the actual language. Never read it before today, just discussed in the gun shops.

-on Tapatalk
    • "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -The Dalai Lama

Brian, you never cease to amaze.
    Mr. Ed < of course^2>
    NRA Life Member
    Florida Carry Member
    SAF & CCRKBA Member

The gun display shelf's at the gun store I go to are starting to look like Venezuela's Super Market shelves. (EMPTY)
    Ronnie
    N.R.A. - FLORIDA CARRY - D.A.V. - American Legion - M.C.A.--- U.S. Army disabled Veteran, GOA
    If you are not a member of the N.R.A. - It is time to join - Turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members
    If your not a member of FLORIDA CARRY it is time to join.

An armed population conststs of CITIZENS"
    AN UN-ARMED POPULATION CONSTSTS OF "SUBJECTS

Sposors