Got my CCW License, how do I begin carrying?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Got my CCW License, how do I begin carrying?

Got my CCW License, how do I begin carrying?

So I got my license and I am very excited to start carrying my firearm but i need some tips on how to start carrying. What do you recommend me to start with? I think I should start wearing the holster without the gun at home to se how it feels.
    NRA Member 2020
    Beretta Enthusiast

You need to start carrying right away, most holsters require some break in time. I'm old school so all my holsters are custom leather (Andrew's custom leather) except one I got in a trade (panther concealment). Don't make a newb mistake and buy a off the shelf holster made to fit more than one gun it almost always ends with a poor fitting holster. You will need a gunbelt, I prefer a kydex re-enforced bull hide (TT-gun leather), a two magazine carrier and a Tac-light with sheath. If the holster fits too tight wrap pistol with the plastic bag it came with over night until it loosens up. It is best to buy quality you will use it every day and cheap stuff will need to be replaced and not save you any money. As an example my belt is at least 12 years old and still looks like new.
    Florida CWFL Member NRA

Distinguished Member
    I think one of the best things you could do for yourself would be to sign up for ebl’s threat focused pistol class the next time it is offered. You will learn to shoot quickly and accurately without reference to the sights, a skill which may save your life if you ever have to use your pistol. You will see lots of references to it on the training and tactics subforum.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." A. E. van Vogt

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Just to emphasize Earl007's point about a gun belt. To be clear, a gun belt isn't a "thick" or "heavy" belt. You can't buy a gun belt at Walmart or JC Penny's.

A REAL gun belt is its own animal. It's TWO layers of leather with the grain running perpendicular to each other, stitched together. Some have additional stiffeners sandwiched in between the 2 layers. There are also the nylon type of gun belts. You have to get it from a company that makes GUN belts. There are TONS of them out there. Some holster makers, such as Crossbreed, also make belts. Then there are companies like The Belt Man and Wilderness Tactical Products.

Don't let anyone tell you that a "thick" belt is the same. It's not. Huge difference. And, it makes a big difference in terms of security and comfort. Get a GUN belt.

As for holsters, I also agree that you should get one specifically molded for YOUR gun. As for the style or type.... it's a bit of a crapshoot, because everyone has different preferences. If you're like most of us, you'll eventually collect a "box-o'-holsters" as you experiment to see what you like.

I use a "hybrid" type holster... part leather, part kydex. Inside the waistband. I have Crossbreed's Supertuck and White Hat Holsters' MaxTuck.

Your mileage may vary!
    Last edited by racer88; 03-18-2020 at 08:59 AM.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

How about some one on one instruction with a competent person. Preferable an instructor, only so much comes from reading about actions. Much of those fundamentals were taught to many by Fathers, Mothers and range time with family and friends in their youth.
    Then move on to carrying.... performance shooting... threat focus training....

But by all means, strap up and go
    Impeachment hearings are simply democrat campaign ads, paid for by taxpayers, to convict Trump in the court of public opinion.

Also... make sure you know Florida CCW laws.... cold. If you haven't already, get Gutmacher's book.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzie View Post
    So I got my license and I am very excited to start carrying my firearm but i need some tips on how to start carrying. What do you recommend me to start with? I think I should start wearing the holster without the gun at home to se how it feels.
    What works for me:
    An inside waistband (IWB) kydex holster from High Noon Holsters, and a thin, stiff gun belt.
    Maybe I got lucky early and didn't have to do a lot of shopping around, or I'm just easy to please?
    I suspect the former. Good luck.

https://www.highnoonholsters.com/kyd...eaction-medium
    https://www.daltechforce.com/collect...rbio-gun-belts
    https://www.daltechforce.com/collect...erbio-gun-belt

Great tips mentioned above but let me add do not get misled into thinking the life portrayed by Hollywood films and TV is anything close to reality, IT IS NOT. Read this forum. Between the petty BS there are great tips and experiences. GET PROPER TRAINING. Practice. If this is beginning to sound like a lot of work it is not. You will find there is enjoyment along the way, it doesn't have to be all work. You will also be meeting some fine people taking or that have taken this same path you are beginning on.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gandrfab View Post
    How about some one on one instruction with a competent person. Preferable an instructor, only so much comes from reading about actions. Much of those fundamentals were taught to many by Fathers, Mothers and range time with family and friends in their youth.
    Then move on to carrying.... performance shooting... threat focus training....

But by all means, strap up and go
    EBL offers one on one instruction. It took him all of about 4 hours to get me squared away and I had some very bad habits to overcome. I don’t think you need to wait to take the threat focused class. I was new to pistol shooting when I took it, although I had lots of shotgun and rifle experience, and I had no issues with the class and benefitted greatly from it.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." A. E. van Vogt

How about an ELB link?
    Impeachment hearings are simply democrat campaign ads, paid for by taxpayers, to convict Trump in the court of public opinion.

Sposors