Got my CCW License, how do I begin carrying? - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Got my CCW License, how do I begin carrying?

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Bought my first handgun in 73...
    ARGH! You beat me by one year!

Very first gun I ever bought for myself was a Charter Arms .38. That was really not a bad gun at all, and I kind of wish I still had it.

Distinguished Member High Seas Drifter's Avatar
    I started with cap guns.

Then it was Nerf guns.

Then it was BB guns.

Then it was handguns.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Right now, my 18-month-old son has a blue gun. Weighted. Starting the curve earlier.

-on Tapatalk
    • "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -The Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Bought my first handgun in 73, in Ca. of all places. No one showed me how to carry it, I bought a holster, put the gun in same and carried on [ sorta speak ].

Carried that gun for a few years in that same holster without anyone's input. Necessity is the mother of invention. Carrying concealed 50 years later, and a little wiser some minor changes have been made, but for the most part, nothing really has changed. Buy gun, buy holster, put it on belt, continuing to "carry on". Would advice have sped up the learning curve? Maybe, but not by much.
    Hadn't the USMC and a tour in South-East Asia given you a healthy respect for firearms and safe gun handling by their did that come later?
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

典he greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

One last bit of advice, after trying about 10 differnt holsters the one that works best for me is the hy-brid saddle holster (andrews custom leather) it's OWB outside the waistban, it's the most comfortable and is well hidden under a duluth trading extra long polo. So if you want to go old school give Sam andrews a call, good luck.
    Florida CWFL Member NRA

Distinguished Member Lautermilch's Avatar
    I am happy with my Alien gear. I carry a Ruger American 9mm Compact which is just a tad larger and heavier than most compact 9mm and the holster does fine.
    I like the cant very low and the kydex shell to protect me from shopping carts and other things that can hit me in the side.

Distinguished Member
    One thing I learned in Law Enforcement was that you need a good holster and a good belt. Don稚 cheap out and go with eBay. (Wasn稚 invented in my day of wheelguns)

My strongest lesson came in the early seventies. I was at the Cheyenne saloon in Orlando and everyone was doing some sort of Can-Can-line dancing.We were kicking our legs with the ladies and having a great time when I spied a model 36 Smith and Wesson chief special skittering across the floor and suddenly my left ankle felt a lot lighter. I had purchased an El-cheapo ankle holster that laced up.

I quickly found my self on all fours like a Centipede, frantically crawling after my revolver among the dancing crowd as my partner waved his badge馬othing to see here, remain calm That was followed by a hasty exit and I threw away the holster.

Al Garcia, AG gunbelts is a good source for a belt as is Bullhide Hercules model which is a polymer that seems indestructible. I like Panther IWB and DMBullard from Texas OWB.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHunter View Post
    Hadn't the USMC and a tour in South-East Asia given you a healthy respect for firearms and safe gun handling by their did that come later?
    I have to think past experiences certainly contributed to any learning curve flattening. When I started carrying two J frames [ one in each back pocket ] working the projects in the summer months ] there was the safe gun handling from past experience, but how to access from back pockets, guns tucked into soft pocket holsters etc was all a new game. A few hours of playing with the guns in back pockets [ retrieving/accessing them ], the best way to carry them, how to access them quickly solved the concealing element and shortening the time to access them.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

-BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

典he greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

I ordered a holster from Tucker Gun Leather in Texas but it's taking 6 to 7 weeks, I want to order something that won't take that long. .It seems most of the holsters are custom made, they don't have anything to be shipped right away for a lefty with a beretta px4 storm compact. I got my Daltech Force Bullbelt Gun Belt Steel Core now I have to order a holster soon.
    NRA Member 2020
    Beretta Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzie View Post
    I ordered a holster from Tucker Gun Leather in Texas but it's taking 6 to 7 weeks, I want to order something that won't take that long. .It seems most of the holsters are custom made, they don't have anything to be shipped right away for a lefty with a beretta px4 storm compact. I got my Daltech Force Bullbelt Gun Belt Steel Core now I have to order a holster soon.
    Panther Concealment made a left handed holster for the Px4 Compact for me. Contact Jim at Panther.
    "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." Ronald Reagan, June 6, 1984, speech at Omaha Beach Memorial
    COTEP: 739

Sposors