Got my CCW License, how do I begin carrying? - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Got my CCW License, how do I begin carrying?

Like most on here just said,
    Find a real firearm intruder to help you on how to really be safe carrying a gun.
    Go to a range and SHOOT - SHOOT -SHOOT
    The store where you bought your gun should be able to find a good instructor for you.
    Now join the N.R.A
    Ronnie
    N.R.A. - FLORIDA CARRY - D.A.V. - American Legion - M.C.A.--- U.S. Army disabled Veteran, GOA
    If you are not a member of the N.R.A. - It is time to join - Turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members
    If your not a member of FLORIDA CARRY it is time to join.

An armed population conststs of CITIZENS"
    AN UN-ARMED POPULATION CONSTSTS OF "SUBJECTS

Quote Originally Posted by gandrfab View Post
    How about an ELB link?
    he replies to forum messages. scroll up and click on PRIVATE MESSAGE.

his business name is Family Home Protection but I could not find a website for it.

Have been lucky to train with some of south Florida's best and highly recommend:
    Rick as mentioned above, Bob Harvey of So Fl Gun School, and Will Farrugia of The Executive Solution. A sometime visitor to Florida from Arizona is Robin"Brownie" Brown of Threat Focused Training. You cannot go wrong with any of these fine instructors.
    Last edited by hornet; 03-18-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Distinguished Member LittleGator's Avatar
    Great recommendations above about training. Either EBL or Bob Harvey (in Boca?) will get you up to speed in no time. Their instruction is worth its weight in gold.
    NRA member
    NRA - RSO
    COTEP #750

"The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. " -Dr. Adrian Pierce Rogers

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

You're getting lots of good advice, but be sure of one thing. You're going to try some things that work for you, and some that don't. Don't worry about the things that don't. Learn the lesson and move on.

What I learned is that things like Sneaky Pete and similar things didn't work for me- too bulky. I also learned that IWB (in waist band) is a good way to carry, but it wasn't for me. OWB (outside waist band) was where I ended up.

Lot's of people like Kydex, and that's fine. Panther Concealment has a lot of fans here. My own preference is leather, and I like Little Bear Holsters, though I think they're in transition to another name. I got lucky there. I ordered holsters with both belt loops for OWB and clips for IWB. I carried IWB for a year or more before deciding to switch over. I removed the clips and was ready to go. I don't carry in the house, but I wear a holster almost constantly. When I go out, I drop my regular carry weapon in the holster and I'm off. I wear nothing but pullover shirts these days, so that takes care of the cover issue.

The point is, only you can decide what works for you, but carry- everywhere you go. You'll soon forget that it's there, but it will be if you need it.

Finally, I probably don't need to say it, but a good place to get your concealed carry badge is- nowhere!!! Don't be silly.
    Steve
    NRA Life Member

Heed the advice for additional training. It really is the best money you will ever spend.

Good advice here about belts and holsters, also. Buy what looks right to you, and be aware that you will probably change it as time goes on. What you buy first is rarely what you end up with later on.

Finally, get a belt and holster, strap on your gun, and go do the "Wally Walk." That is, go to your neighborhood Walmart and do some shopping. You are going to feel self-conscious. You are going to be afraid that your gun is showing. You are going to think everyone is staring at you. That's okay. Do it anyway. And here's the thing... If your gun is even half-way concealed, no one is going to notice anything. People just don't. That's what you learn from the Wally Walk. Do it a couple of more times, and pretty soon you will realize that your gun IS concealed, people are NOT staring at you, and you can QUIT feeling self-conscious.

Good luck.

Instruction and training is great, but to your original question, how to start carrying? See if someone experienced on this forum would be willing to get together with you to help show you the ropes of concealed carry; holster, belt, how to properly handle a gun, etc. When I was in your shoes I had no one to advise me on anything. I took a few range classes. That was a good start, but did not help with the concealed carry part of it. I had to figure it out myself by trial and error. If I were close to you, I'd offer but im not near you. Good luck !
    NRA Member
    Florida Carry Member

" Common sense is not common "

Thank you so much for the great feedback, it's been amazing these few weeks, between buying the guns, going to the range, learning from experienced guys like you and reading Jon Gutmacher's book, I am having a great time. I never thought of buying a gun belt, thanks for the tip, I know it will make a big difference.
    NRA Member 2020
    Beretta Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzie View Post
    Thank you so much for the great feedback, it's been amazing these few weeks, between buying the guns, going to the range, learning from experienced guys like you and reading Jon Gutmacher's book, I am having a great time. I never thought of buying a gun belt, thanks for the tip, I know it will make a big difference.
    You found a great group here.

Congrats on taking the plunge. It's a "process," but it can be fun, too. Eventually, carrying concealed will by like putting on your watch.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Quote Originally Posted by rayman View Post
    Instruction and training is great, but to your original question, how to start carrying? See if someone experienced on this forum would be willing to get together with you to help show you the ropes of concealed carry; holster, belt, how to properly handle a gun, etc. When I was in your shoes I had no one to advise me on anything. I took a few range classes. That was a good start, but did not help with the concealed carry part of it. I had to figure it out myself by trial and error. If I were close to you, I'd offer but im not near you. Good luck !
    Bought my first handgun in 73, in Ca. of all places. No one showed me how to carry it, I bought a holster, put the gun in same and carried on [ sorta speak ].

Carried that gun for a few years in that same holster without anyone's input. Necessity is the mother of invention. Carrying concealed 50 years later, and a little wiser some minor changes have been made, but for the most part, nothing really has changed. Buy gun, buy holster, put it on belt, continuing to "carry on". Would advice have sped up the learning curve? Maybe, but not by much.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Impeachment hearings are simply democrat campaign ads, paid for by taxpayers, to convict Trump in the court of public opinion.

Sposors