After polishing the parts up to 1000 grit, everything went into the ultrasonic cleaner with a mix of simple green and Dawn dish detergent.
After cleaning, the parts were rinsed and stored in denatured alcohol to remove all water and any leftover crud.
Broke out the rust bluing solution and the toaster oven. Heated the parts to 200 degrees, and sparingly applied the bluing solution.
Heating after the first application of bluing.
The metal turned a nice plum brown color, which indicates that the metal should blue up nicely.
Cylinder before boiling in distilled water.
After rusting and boiling three times, I heated the parts and soaked them in oil for a day for the bluing to set. I took the parts out of the oil the next day, wiped them down, and then soaked them in alcohol to degrease.
The big parts after cleanup.
Then it was time to put it back together again.
Frame with the trigger group installed.
Then installed the side plate, the front screw was left out because it secures the crane to the frame.
I installed the crane and cylinder, and tested the gun for proper function and locking. Then I remove the crane and cylinder again, and put the barrel back on.