Thought for the group regarding 911 calls/ Life threatening issues
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Thought for the group regarding 911 calls/ Life threatening issues

Distinguished Member

Thought for the group regarding 911 calls/ Life threatening issues

As some of you know, I’ve had way too many back surgeries for a human being. One of the consequences of severe pain has been autonomic dysreflexia, that’s the name for a condition where the pain causes your blood pressure to skyrocket.

I had an issue last year and my blood pressure went insanely high. I couldn’t feel my legs, had to basically crawl down the stairs after calling 911. I made it out the front door laid down on the porch and waited. After 20 minutes or so I called again and asked if they were on the way. I live a little bit in the country although close to town. I gave them careful instructions to come down my road and not take the sweeping left turn but come straight back the private road.

The driver of the fire engine relied on his map/GPS, not sure if he was relayed my instructions, went left and wound up having to back up the fire truck through sharp curves for about half a mile. It took forever for them to arrive it seemed.

The lesson is that if any of you live in the country or somewhere on a road that may be difficult to find, discuss it with the 911 dispatcher. They can append a “hazard note” they called it so that responding emergency units can find you.

Having them know exactly where you are may save your or a family members life. If you use a land line, they know your address, cell phone, nope. They can’t “ping your phone” in two seconds like on TV.

Very good points my friend. I have been an EMT on a 911 ambulance in my county for 20 years. We went from having a map book when I started, to now having a laptop running a CAD system in our units now. The CAD works pretty good sine it will route you to the call much like a Garmin. Sometimes the routes are stupid though and will have you go the long way to get somewhere. The good thing about working in the country you were born and raised in is the fact that you know the roads pretty well and cut the corners to get there faster when that happens. Making sure you have your house number in a place where we can read it is good too.

Very good points.
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

https://www.thethreepercenters.org/

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

One of the many good reasons to keep a land line.

I find it rather odd that so many people PRIDE themselves on not having a land line. It's as if they've attained a delusionally enlightened status by relying only on cell phones.

I hate cell phone conversations, as half the conversation is spent asking the other party to repeat themselves. Even if I'm on a land line, if the other person is on a cell (quite often), I spend at LEAST half the conversation asking them to repeat what they just said.

Just last week, I got a call from a dentist in another state about a mutual patient. I had to ask him to call back from a landline. Literally every other word was garbled. This is the NORM for cell phones, in my experience.

I have a cell phone. But, I use less than 10 voice minutes per month. Most of the time, I'm either at the office or at home, where I have land lines. I don't and won't use my cell phone while driving. So, I simply don't use it much. I have it, because you pretty much have to have one these days. And, I have teenage kids... so... we need a way to communicate.

But, yeah... in a true emergency, a land line is FAR superior.... and maybe the difference between life and death. So, call me "unenlightened," because I still have land lines.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Distinguished Member LittleGator's Avatar
    ^^^ okay. . . okay. . . I'm a bit hard of hearing, and I don't find myself asking people to repeat themselves during cell phone conversations. The communication is loud and clear (and I have an 'old' cell phone).

Have you looked up the word "codger"?

codg·er
    /ˈkäjər/

noun: codger; plural noun: codgers

"an elderly man, especially one who is old-fashioned or eccentric."
    NRA member
    NRA - RSO
    COTEP #750

"The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. " -Dr. Adrian Pierce Rogers

Distinguished Member
    Early onset codgerism.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleGator View Post
    ^^^ okay. . . okay. . . I'm a bit hard of hearing, and I don't find myself asking people to repeat themselves during cell phone conversations. The communication is loud and clear (and I have an 'old' cell phone).

Have you looked up the word "codger"?

codg·er
    /ˈkäjər/

noun: codger; plural noun: codgers

"an elderly man, especially one who is old-fashioned or eccentric."
    Quote Originally Posted by Shark1007 View Post
    Early onset codgerism.
    LOL! I'm not THAT old. So, I'm a "precocious codger."

But, yeah... I can HEAR them fine. The words that come through are fine. It's those cuts and drops that are typical with cell phones that make them unintelligible.

When the other doctor called me on his land line, it was crystal clear. No repeating necessary. On his cell phone, every other word was cut off... no kidding. This happens ALL the time in my experience when I'm called by someone on their cell phone. If they call on a land line, it's like they're in the room with me. Night and day difference.

Do I want that when it's an emergency? Nope. Plus as Shark pointed out, 911 services can't instantly locate you with a cell phone. With a land line, they've got your address before you get the first word out. It's instantaneous. You don't even have to say anything. They know where you are right away and can send help.

Also... I think it was Hurricane Wilma, when nearly all cell phone service was down. Land lines were operating perfectly. I wouldn't want to depend only on cell phones during a natural disaster.
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    When we had landlines and Western Electric handsets, everyone spoke into the microphone (antiquated as it was).

Now no one thinks it is necessary to actually talk INTO the phone.

And it does not help when they think they need the automobile air-conditioning vent blowing on the phone and using the speaker phone.

As much as I hate VOIP, my departure from ATT was one of protest. I hate ATT with a passion, but I have to keep dealing with them because they buy the companies that I deal with and it is easier to stay than research and find a new vendor.

AND I have early-onset codger and have trouble dealing with the changes in technology.
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    Also... I think it was Hurricane Wilma, when nearly all cell phone service was down. Land lines were operating perfectly. I wouldn't want to depend only on cell phones during a natural disaster.
    Yes it was, but after a few days the batteries that ran the land lines died also. Cell phone towers now have generators, they didn’t back then.
    NRA Training Counselor - Instructor
    NRA Chief Range Safety Officer
    FWC Hunter Safety Instructor
    NRA Patriot Life Benefactor

Quote Originally Posted by LabGuy View Post
    Yes it was, but after a few days the batteries that ran the land lines died also. Cell phone towers now have generators, they didn’t back then.
    We never lost our (land line) phone service.
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Sposors