Does the ATF have a list of your guns? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the ATF have a list of your guns?

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
    As of last report, there are about 4 tractor trailers full of records that have yet to be sorted.
    I think they are in shipping containers, but I know what you mean. They had to stop bringing the boxes into the building because the structural engineers told them the floor would not hold any more weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBmaqs43tY
    Last edited by TitleIIToyLover; 02-15-2020 at 11:18 AM.
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

Quote Originally Posted by TitleIIToyLover View Post
    I think they are in shipping containers, but I know what you mean. They had to stop bringing the boxes into the building because the structural engineers told them the floor would not hold any more weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COBmaqs43tY
    It's already over, just the action of storing the 4473 is already in place.
    One of these 100's and thousands of page bills that pass will have, (if it already hasn't) the requirement to digitize all that information.
    Impeachment hearings are simply democrat campaign ads, paid for by taxpayers, to convict Trump in the court of public opinion.

Best of luck with the stored 4473's placed on digital format. As an example

Ma. has/had what was known as "blue cards" one had to fill out for any private sale/purchase. The records were stored originally at 1010 Comm. Ave., Boston. 4 decades of blue cards in boxes. Hundreds of thousands of cards were eventually scheduled for digitization onto computers starting back around 2000-2002. They haven't found the manpower to move the data from long hand to digital records for nearly 2 decades, and the blue cards keep piling in for storage.

Now put that into perspective for millions on 4473 going to digital record. Whether it's in hard copy or digital, it's the same "database" of information. Only difference is one is much faster at locating the "data". The data is nearly useless to them whether it's in digital or hard copy anyway. The database for one particular day is only correct that day. Far too many guns are bought and sold over some length of time to ever have the "records" be correct.

And finally, "who gives a crap".
    Last edited by brownie; 02-16-2020 at 10:42 AM.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Boats sink every day ........ by the thousands, here in FL. Seldom reported

I sent them a list of all my guns this morning. Told them if they any questions about the howitzer they could reach me at 1-800-eat-S**t .

Quote Originally Posted by joenam68 View Post
    I sent them a list of all my guns this morning. Told them if they any questions about the howitzer they could reach me at 1-800-eat-S**t .
    A howitzer is a NFA Destructive Device, so they already know about that one...
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

https://www.thethreepercenters.org/

Distinguished Member
    NICS supposedly purges it's data every so often, but it's really hard to make a computer truly forget something. Take that for what you will. Remember that the government doesn't hire the best people for the job.

4473s form a federated registry, but to make it tick, someone has to go around and collect the data. There's only so many of those someones. If there was ever a mandatory collating of the data, some FFLs would be the canaries in the coal mine and the rest would conveniently have roof leaks and small electrical fires.

Also consider this, there's 423+ million privately-owned guns in this country. Most aren't registered, and all represent multiple moving data points. It's a few billion moving things that would need to be put into a database somehow.

The government hasn't shown proficiency in computer databases, at all.

The failures of:

NASA (metric vs imperial)
    Obamacare
    and so on.

Ironically the people who put the backend of Obamacare together (CGI Federal) are the same clowns that put together the Canadian long gun registry. After billions of loonies spent, the hosers scrapped their long gun registry since it didn't work from a technical or practical perspective. And there's not that many guns in Canuckistan compared to us.

So if one of the biggest data projects the Feds undertook - Obamacare - crashed and continues to have problems, a national gun registry would be an unmitigated disaster even if only 20 percent complied. Billions of data points constantly changing - good luck with that.

Even the Fed's current registries - the NFRTR (NFA), and the inventory systems for their own guns are fraught with problems. The Feds routinely misplace machine guns and have even lost track of nuclear weapons.
    http://regularguyguns.com/ - my no-frills gun blog.

Distinguished Member
    There will always be "well-meaning" people who see a pile of paper and automatically think digitizing it is the answer to everything.
    They are process-nerds. They never stop long enough to ask themselves whether digitizing is even a good idea.
    They are too myopically focused on the technology to see the wisdom of not making such records instantly available.
    They never see the downsides. They can't connect the dots from gun registration to gun confiscation, or to onerous gun regulation.

And those people might not even be "anti-gunners", but they are just as dangerous - maybe even more so.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    There will always be "well-meaning" people who see a pile of paper and automatically think digitizing it is the answer to everything.
    They are process-nerds. They never stop long enough to ask themselves whether digitizing is even a good idea.
    They are too myopically focused on the technology to see the wisdom of not making such records instantly available.
    They never see the downsides. They can't connect the dots from gun registration to gun confiscation, or to onerous gun regulation.

And those people might not even be "anti-gunners", but they are just as dangerous - maybe even more so.
    This!
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post

A big problem with nerds is they just see a challenge a lot of the time, not necessarily the moral aspect of such a thing.
    Take facial recognition for example. Probably started innocently enough as a security function, i.e "How do I unlock this thing with something besides keys, which can be faked?"
    http://regularguyguns.com/ - my no-frills gun blog.

Sposors