Parkland parents storm FL Capitol - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Parkland parents storm FL Capitol

Quote Originally Posted by Shark1007 View Post
    Folks, of course they are wrong. Unless someone has lost a child, it would be very difficult to legitimately judge them. Things just sometimes seem a little ad hominem. If if makes them feel purposeful or assuages their horror of losing a child, there’s an amendment that protects them just as there’s one that protects our rights to arms.

The legislators are the ones we need to deal with, inform, enlighten. I’ve communicated with Legislators for a while now, my belief is that’s the approach needed.
    We're not judging them. We simply oppose their "solution" to the problem, which is to restrict OUR Rights. We're not seeking to restrict their 1st Amendment Rights. But, they ARE ACTIVELY seeking to infringe our 2A Rights. That's a fact. I understand their motivations. But, I will not acquiesce to them under the guise of "sympathy." I will not be subjugated to assuage a twisted sense of "moral or social justice."

Their victim status does not immunize their ideas against criticism, or even focused opposition (in whichever form necessary, as they escalate their efforts).

To counter-attack their anti-liberty efforts has NOTHING to do with their motivations / inspirations, nor does it brand us as "unsympathetic."

Sure, we need to deal with, inform, and enlighten legislators. But, is that also to mean you are suggesting we should "turn the other cheek" when directly confronted by these folks? Just because of their tragic experience? If that's the case, I will simply say, "No. I will not do that. Not when my Rights are at stake." Their tragedy does not justify attacking ME. I'm the wrong person. And, I WILL defend myself and my Rights against the unjustifiable attacks.
    Last edited by racer88; 02-14-2020 at 05:57 PM.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Distinguished Member High Seas Drifter's Avatar
    Tragedy is a fact of life.

How we deal with it is the determining factor.

Be a good example, not a generic statistic.

-on Tapatalk
    • "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -The Dalai Lama

Distinguished Member
    Chill, we’re on the same side. It’s obviously a very emotional issue to many. My approach to dispute is a bit different than many I suppose. That doesn’t mean I’m right or someone else is wrong.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Shark1007 View Post
    Chill, we’re on the same side. It’s obviously a very emotional issue to many. My approach to dispute is a bit different than many I suppose. That doesn’t mean I’m right or someone else is wrong.
    Of course!

In reality, I'd do my best to respectfully avoid the topic at all with those parents in a face-to-face situation. But, I would not agree with their advocacy to infringe my Rights just to "keep the peace."
    Last edited by racer88; 02-14-2020 at 10:14 PM.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Distinguished Member
    I’ve dealt with so much death in my days, people react in a lot of ways. I had a fellow who’s wife was decapitated by a cement mixer, in trial when he started to speak of her, his mouth flew open wide enough to toss a tennis ball in and he could not utter a single word, he just froze. That was many years later after a mistrial, appeal and re-trial. As LEO I worked a car wreck with multiple fatalities and an African American family nearly tore the whole emergency room apart.

The comment by pod, in post #2, was ad hominem, and uncalled for. Given that, I fully understand Shark1007's response. These people are grieving, and there is certainly no reason to call them names.

That does not change the fact that they are wrong, that their method of grieving is counter-productive, and that they need to be opposed.

Quote Originally Posted by High Seas Drifter View Post
    Tragedy is a fact of life.

How we deal with it is the determining factor.

Be a good example, not a generic statistic.

-on Tapatalk

How one deals with any adversity provides others a window to see the type of person they really are.
    Rick

"Sights are for the unenlightened."

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Sposors