[VIDEO] How the U.S. Government Obtains and Uses Cellphone Location Data - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: [VIDEO] How the U.S. Government Obtains and Uses Cellphone Location Data

  1. #11
    Please explain this for an old guy...6 weeks ago the VA sent me a Blood Pressure monitor to use for 90 days. When I use it and am finished it says sending your data. The data is then sent over some unknown network that sends it 175 miles { I guess really don't know where it goes } to the VA in Phoenix AZ, where a nurse views the results, I accidentally pushed a wrong button and the nurse called me in about 15 minutes to check my answer???Medtronic is the device

  2. #12
    Member Old Farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    In the grove
    Posts
    195
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    Are you aware that in the United States, use, or even possession of a GPS blocker is a violation of federal law and punishable by a fine of up to $112,500 for the first offense?
    And depending upon circumstances, could also result in felony arrest with laws that vary by State.

    I wouldn't recommend it.
    You left out that they will whack your pee pee too.....
    Last edited by Old Farmer; 02-11-2020 at 04:56 PM.

  3. #13
    Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East Central Florida
    Posts
    4,777
    This is what I use so that I can not be triangulated but have my phone readily available for use.

    I think it works because I can not call my cell from my home phone when the cell is in the pouch.

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PPWARWE...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East Central Florida
    Posts
    4,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    Are you aware that in the United States, use, or even possession of a GPS blocker is a violation of federal law and punishable by a fine of up to $112,500 for the first offense?
    And depending upon circumstances, could also result in felony arrest with laws that vary by State.

    I wouldn't recommend it.
    And this is enforced by the same agency that prosecutes Robo-callers who spoof numbers, right?

    I agree with you, but I'm just sayin!
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

  6. #15
    Distinguished Member BrianB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Skyview (Pinellas)
    Posts
    7,484
    Quote Originally Posted by riata2 View Post
    Please explain this for an old guy...6 weeks ago the VA sent me a Blood Pressure monitor to use for 90 days. When I use it and am finished it says sending your data. The data is then sent over some unknown network that sends it 175 miles { I guess really don't know where it goes } to the VA in Phoenix AZ, where a nurse views the results, I accidentally pushed a wrong button and the nurse called me in about 15 minutes to check my answer???Medtronic is the device
    My CPAP does the same thing. It has a built in cellular modem that uses the cellular network to send the data. I don't know who the heck is paying for the service because I'm not. I assume that my insurance company's DME (durable medical equipment) provider is billing the insurance for it.
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, HFS, PPITH, PPOTH) and Chief Range Safety Officer
    Florida Carry Life Member, SAF Life Member, NRA Endowment Life Member
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Defensive Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)

  7. #16
    Distinguished Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by TitleIIToyLover View Post
    And this is enforced by the same agency that prosecutes Robo-callers who spoof numbers, right?

    I agree with you, but I'm just sayin!
    The FCC has actually had some high-profile busts of robo-callers, including one poor fella I actually felt a little (very little) sorry for.
    He was an insurance salesman and thought he could generate a few juicy leads via robo-calling.
    In the end, he didn't really make much money -- but got whopped for some enormous federal fine (in the millions) that he'll never get out from under.
    I remember it because he filed his tax returns with the FCC clearly indicating he had no way to pay it -- and the FCC said they did not care.
    Ability to pay was only one factor they consider when motions to reduce fines are made.
    I recall thinking: That guy may as well leave the country. He's screwed.

    But your point is well-taken.
    The amount of fines the FCC collects is pitifully low. Single digit percentages.
    And collecting from overseas bad actors (i.e., robo-callers), probably zero.

    But it's also not fair to label this an FCC problem (at least not entirely).
    The phone industry wanted VOIP badly, and unfortunately, opening up networks like that just invites robo-calling.
    At one point last year - we were on track to have nearly 40 PERCENT of all network traffic being robocalls. That's an alarming high number!!
    Shaken-n-Stirred seems to have put a major brake on the practice, though some calls still get through.

  8. #17
    Distinguished Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by TitleIIToyLover View Post
    This is what I use so that I can not be triangulated but have my phone readily available for use.

    I think it works because I can not call my cell from my home phone when the cell is in the pouch.

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PPWARWE...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    If you're real close to a cell tower (or similar) it may not work.
    But - I would advise just turning the phone off.
    Under conditions of a highly attenuated downlink signal (i.e., by placing the handset in one of these RF shielded bags), all you're going to do is wear that battery out faster.
    The phone will transmit at full power trying to synchronize with the network(s), if it even gets a whif of signal through that bag.
    Save the life of your battery and just turn it off.

  9. #18
    Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East Central Florida
    Posts
    4,777
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    If you're real close to a cell tower (or similar) it may not work.
    But - I would advise just turning the phone off.
    Under conditions of a highly attenuated downlink signal (i.e., by placing the handset in one of these RF shielded bags), all you're going to do is wear that battery out faster.
    The phone will transmit at full power trying to synchronize with the network(s), if it even gets a whif of signal through that bag.
    Save the life of your battery and just turn it off.
    I don't know anything about the technical side of this, but I was under the impression that simply turning you phone "off" did not solve the problem of tracking??
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

  10. #19
    Distinguished Member brownie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Superstition Mtns, Az
    Posts
    54,002
    Quote Originally Posted by TitleIIToyLover View Post
    I don't know anything about the technical side of this, but I was under the impression that simply turning you phone "off" did not solve the problem of tracking??
    Nor agencies being able to listen to everything being said within range of the mic. Only way to keep some from listening in is to take the batt out of the phone. I have an "acquaintance" whose agency can hear everything you say even with the phone turned off. He regularly takes his batt out of the phone when we're speaking face to face and HIS "acquaintance" works within the part of that agency that can and does listen in to anyone they find of interest for any reason, or no reason at all.

    Me, I don't give a crap about what they hear or where they can track my movements. I'm not discussing anything that would threaten gov or it's agents.
    The mind is the limiting factor

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

    Stay Sharp

    Brownie

  11. #20
    Distinguished Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,795
    Quote Originally Posted by TitleIIToyLover View Post
    I don't know anything about the technical side of this, but I was under the impression that simply turning you phone "off" did not solve the problem of tracking??
    Turning the handset "OFF" completely hides it from the cellular networks.

    You can do the same with almost all handsets (in fact all that I know of), by placing the phone in airplane mode.
    If your phone's airplane mode still allows Wi-Fi (and I don't think many do), you could still be tracked that way -- technically, though not practically in most cases.

Sposors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •