[VIDEO] How the U.S. Government Obtains and Uses Cellphone Location Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 25

Thread: [VIDEO] How the U.S. Government Obtains and Uses Cellphone Location Data

  1. #1

    Thumbs down [VIDEO] How the U.S. Government Obtains and Uses Cellphone Location Data


  2. #2
    Distinguished Member brownie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Superstition Mtns, Az
    Posts
    54,013
    The location data is drawn from apps that users have granted location tracking of that app. I happen to let google maps track me as it's a way of keeping track of my motor adventures, places visited etc. This isn't really newsworthy as echelon has been doing the same thing without anyone's permissions for several decades.
    And if you don't want location data being tracked, turn apps off that ask for location permissions.

    The mind is the limiting factor

    https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

    Stay Sharp

    Brownie

  3. #3
    Distinguished Member AFJuvat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    4,802
    Just turn off location access for all your apps except for those that truly need it.

    If you don't want them tracking you via cell phone tower access, turn the phone off or leave it home.
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

    “There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

    https://www.thethreepercenters.org/

  4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Super Moderator
    BeerHunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    PBC
    Posts
    25,349
    What brownie and AFJuvat said.
    -BH

    Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

    “The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

    "Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell


    "The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

  6. #5
    Distinguished Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
    Just turn off location access for all your apps except for those that truly need it.

    If you don't want them tracking you via cell phone tower access, turn the phone off or leave it home.
    Negative. That won't work.
    The cell network knows where you're at (if you have coverage) because it needs that information in order to ring your phone for incoming calls and texts.
    Now, you say... Well, that's just the cell site sector, and it's a pretty big area.

    Nope.

    In reality, your cell phone is in synchronization with several cell sites at once.
    It's a fairly easy matter to determine your location, pretty accurately, EVEN WITHOUT GPS.
    In fact, that's how "911" works when you turn off your GPS.
    I think the latest accuracy requirement (per FCC) is 300 feet (horiz only, not vertical).
    I could be wrong... as it's been at least two years since I looked into that.
    Hell, you could get 300-feet with TDOA (Time Distance of Arrival) and that was 5-6 years ago. Maybe longer. (And 3G).

    All that stuff you see on those TV shows is BS.
    Network capabilities vary by locale, but everywhere in Florida is pretty much up-to-date.

    You would be amazed at how much data (private and otherwise) that the cell phone network collects about you -- even without intending to -- just by the nature of how the technology works.
    It really does require significant oversight, in my opinion -- but that doesn't seem to be in the cards, vis-a-vis "Net Neutrality" (which is load of horse****, BTW).
    That said, thankfully we haven't had the full-on abuses yet, but just wait... it'll happen.

  7. #6
    Member Old Farmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    In the grove
    Posts
    195
    Are you guys aware of GPS blockers? They do work.....

  8. #7
    Distinguished Member AFJuvat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    4,802
    Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    Negative. That won't work.
    The cell network knows where you're at (if you have coverage) because it needs that information in order to ring your phone for incoming calls and texts.
    Now, you say... Well, that's just the cell site sector, and it's a pretty big area.

    Nope.

    In reality, your cell phone is in synchronization with several cell sites at once.
    It's a fairly easy matter to determine your location, pretty accurately, EVEN WITHOUT GPS.
    In fact, that's how "911" works when you turn off your GPS.
    I think the latest accuracy requirement (per FCC) is 300 feet (horiz only, not vertical).
    I could be wrong... as it's been at least two years since I looked into that.
    Hell, you could get 300-feet with TDOA (Time Distance of Arrival) and that was 5-6 years ago. Maybe longer. (And 3G).

    All that stuff you see on those TV shows is BS.
    Network capabilities vary by locale, but everywhere in Florida is pretty much up-to-date.

    You would be amazed at how much data (private and otherwise) that the cell phone network collects about you -- even without intending to -- just by the nature of how the technology works.
    It really does require significant oversight, in my opinion -- but that doesn't seem to be in the cards, vis-a-vis "Net Neutrality" (which is load of horse****, BTW).
    That said, thankfully we haven't had the full-on abuses yet, but just wait... it'll happen.
    Interesting.....

    My response to that is "faraday cage"
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

    “There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

    https://www.thethreepercenters.org/

  9. #8
    Distinguished Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    1,803
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Farmer View Post
    Are you guys aware of GPS blockers? They do work.....
    Are you aware that in the United States, use, or even possession of a GPS blocker is a violation of federal law and punishable by a fine of up to $112,500 for the first offense?
    And depending upon circumstances, could also result in felony arrest with laws that vary by State.

    I wouldn't recommend it.

  10. #9
    Distinguished Member BrianB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    New Skyview (Pinellas)
    Posts
    7,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Farmer View Post
    Are you guys aware of GPS blockers? They do work.....
    But they won't keep the cell network from knowing where you are.
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, HFS, PPITH, PPOTH) and Chief Range Safety Officer
    Florida Carry Life Member, SAF Life Member, NRA Endowment Life Member
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Defensive Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)

  11. #10
    Distinguished Member Ronnie948's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    Daytona Beach
    Posts
    3,983
    Now a days it really don't matter if they want to track my cell phone, Smart TV, Computer or any other way.
    What I don't like is the way China, India & other countries can call your phone about 15 or 20 times a day (Robo Calls) and they just say "Do not answer the phone" Talking about the phone you are paying for.
    I really do not care if they want to track where I'm at and it is fine as long as they do not keep calling me 20 times a day.

    Ronnie
    N.R.A. - FLORIDA CARRY - D.A.V. - American Legion - M.C.A.--- U.S. Army disabled Veteran, GOA
    If you are not a member of the N.R.A. - It is time to join - Turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members
    If your not a member of FLORIDA CARRY it is time to join.

    An armed population conststs of CITIZENS"
    AN UN-ARMED POPULATION CONSTSTS OF "SUBJECTS

Sposors

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •