Bill targets kids who post photos with an illegal firearm on social media - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill targets kids who post photos with an illegal firearm on social media

Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    Misleading subject line... of course.
    Seriously. The consistency of this nonsense is just getting pathetically laughable.

To the OP, how can you NOT see what a laughing-stock you are turning yourself into? I don't know what your objective is in posting this sort of misleading rubbish, but I can pretty much assure you that you are not achieving it.
    Last edited by Denverd0n; 02-06-2020 at 12:35 PM.

Why would there need to be a bill to make an arrest for something that’s already illegal?

Police already use social media for investigative purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
    Why would there need to be a bill to make an arrest for something that’s already illegal?

Police already use social media for investigative purposes.

Currently, the list in FS 901.15 of crimes a LEO can make an arrest for without a warrant doesn't include this particular crime. This bill adds it. So all it's basically doing is allowing for an arrest based on observation of posted photos/video being all the RAS needed for that arrest.
    A man with two watches never really knows what time it is.
    M. Twain

I think the feminists probably need some serious man in their lives.
    Delores O'Riodan

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Bill would arrest kids for taking pictures with guns

Quote Originally Posted by OHEng View Post
    Currently, the list in FS 901.15 of crimes a LEO can make an arrest for without a warrant doesn't include this particular crime. This bill adds it. So all it's basically doing is allowing for an arrest based on observation of posted photos/video being all the RAS needed for that arrest.
    I can’t see a picture alone holding up in court. Easy to say someone over 18 and legally able to own the firearm was in the background supervising.

I was thinking the picture would be used to identify who potentially is in illegal possession of a gun, the police would then investigate and upon discovering the firearm in their possession, make an arrest.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for getting gang bangers and Instagram gangstas off the streets.

Super Moderator
    Corrected OP's misleading thread title AGAIN by using title of linked news article.
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Distinguished Member
    I don't think a picture or a video alone will result in a conviction either. I think it's going to take more of an investigative effort than just watching a video.

Where I think this bill tries to go is to allow an arrest based on probable cause rather than a warrant, because as you point out that warrant is going to need a lot more beef to it than simply saying some yute made himself the star of a gangsta video.

From the OP link, it appears there is some concern about not being able to act quickly enough to prevent a situation from escalating out of control. That seems to be why they want it to be an arrest based on RS rather than a warrant process, though I have doubts that if a LEA truly thought this was an urgent situation kind of thing that they couldn't expedite a warrant. So maybe the real reason is just to make it easier.

If a kid doing this is not truly committing a crime (fake gun, for example), then it doesn't matter if the arrest is warranted or warrantless - the facts will come out in the investigation and charges will be filed/dropped/never started based on what's found when investigated.

The OP is perpetually concerned about abuse and rights being preserved, and so from that angle I think this is actually a better approach and here's why. If it is only done via a warrant process, then once the warrant is issued the subject will be arrested on the spot, regardless of what is found and it will be sorted out later. This is consistent with what you see when someone is stopped for a traffic violation and has an active warrant - even if it's been addressed but the warrant is still active, it's bracelet time. If the arrest can be made based on RS, then what is found when the LEOs get there IS going to matter. If they find an inert, plastic gun and that's all it amounted to, then no arrest has to happen at all. In that case it would actually be better for the subject by not having to "undo" an arrest. So I can see some positive to this, though I'm sure the OP will view it through his typical lens of what the worse possible abuse by the worse possible LEO on the worse possible day could be rather than examine norms.
    Last edited by OHEng; 02-06-2020 at 08:31 PM.
    A man with two watches never really knows what time it is.
    M. Twain

I think the feminists probably need some serious man in their lives.
    Delores O'Riodan

Distinguished Member
    What is an "illegal" firearm?

Quote Originally Posted by Xbonz View Post
    What is an "illegal" firearm?
    Possession of a pre or post sample Title II firearm without the necessary FFL & Class 02 or 03 SOT.

Or possession of a tranferrable Title II firearn without the applicable tax stamp applied to a ATF Form 1 or Form 4.
    Last edited by AFJuvat; 02-06-2020 at 08:53 PM.
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

https://www.thethreepercenters.org/

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
    Possession of a pre or post sample Title II firearm without the necessary FFL & Class 02 or 03 SOT.

Or possession of a transferable Title II firearm without the applicable tax stamp applied to a ATF Form 1 or Form 4.
    Does that make the weapon illegal, or its possession?

Bad grammar misrepresented threads, and other tits for tats.

This is more BS to get a gun grabbers foot further in the door to accidentally, wrongfully or purposely remover guns from the population and/or just make legal gun owns lives more difficult.
    Not really worthy of fighting for yet, so what if a few legal gun owners are given a hard time or temporarily lose their rights, it's for everyone's own good.
    Impeachment hearings are simply democrat campaign ads, paid for by taxpayers, to convict Trump in the court of public opinion.

Sposors