Hillsborough Sheriff dept makes illegal firearm arrest, brags about it on Facebook...
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hillsborough Sheriff dept makes illegal firearm arrest, brags about it on Facebook...

Thumbs down Hillsborough Sheriff dept makes illegal firearm arrest, brags about it on Facebook...

The dimwits at the Hillsborough Sheriff Department illegally arrest someone who was transporting firearms legally.

Then they post photos and brag about it on Facebook.

As a result many thousands of public comments slammed the Sheriff Dept on the post and the Department eventually took the post down yesterday.

They have since issued a quasi-retraction which you can see here: https://www.facebook.com/HCSOSheriff...89259351109678

And they are still getting skewered in the comments. It is quite entertaining!

Inside his pickup truck, there was a hunting rifle and three handguns for which he did not have a permit for, according to the sheriff's office.

He was charged with open carry of the rifle and for having the three concealed weapons without a permit. The sheriff’s office said it has changed its mind and decided while the other charges were valid, the open carry charge was a mistake...
    Not enough info in the article regarding the three concealed weapons. Were they on him or inside the truck securely encased?

Last edited by joecarry; 02-01-2020 at 08:48 AM.
    Anyone interested in the 80's TV show Miami Vice? If so click here --->Miamiviceonline.com

The largest Miami Vice web site on the planet dedicated to all things Vice!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Not enough info in the Article to know if they were wrong on the "concealed handgun" charges. Article doesn't say if any of the "concealed handguns" were on his person or not. If they were merely "securely encased" not on his person, then they were wrong to charge him. If he was traveling to/from hunting or one of the other provisions in f.s. 790.25(3), they were wrong to charge him.
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Distinguished Member deadeyedick's Avatar
    From what I read, the open carry charge has been dropped, but he's still on the hook for concealed carry without a CWFL, since he had three handguns in the vehicle that were not securely encased. Just based on the description of events leading up to the traffic stop, the guy sounds like a complete jackass.
    "It's Fumbles...it was always Fumbles."

Dr. Calvin "Fumbles" Killshot

Quote Originally Posted by jackhinson View Post
    The dimwits at the Hillsborough Sheriff Department illegally arrest someone who was transporting firearms legally.

Then they post photos and brag about it on Facebook.

As a result many thousands of public comments slammed the Sheriff Dept on the post and the Department eventually took the post down yesterday.

They have since issued a quasi-retraction which you can see here: https://www.facebook.com/HCSOSheriff...89259351109678

And they are still getting skewered in the comments. It is quite entertaining!

Mr. Frisco’s traffic stop was incorrect in a portion of their interpretation of Florida Open Carry Laws. Mr. Frisco was not in violation regarding the manner in which he was transporting his rifle, however, that does not negate that he was in violation of the law for having three loaded firearms concealed and not securely encased in the vehicle. Mr. Frisco also does not have a concealed weapon permit.

The deputy searched Frisco's vehicle and found three loaded handguns -- no cases and ready to use

So they've dropped one violation and the others remain. Seems the errant charge has been corrected but it doesn't negate the other charges.

Here is a media report:

https://www.wtsp.com/article/news/lo...7-e3f351cc9ab5

Media? It's not even worth opening the link, the media gets it right with such few actual facts, msm can't be relied on as a source of facts.
    Last edited by brownie; 02-01-2020 at 09:34 AM.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Distinguished Member
    The department violated the law by deleting the post. I hope they are called to account for that.
    http://regularguyguns.com/ - my no-frills gun blog.

Quote Originally Posted by pod View Post
    The department violated the law by deleting the post. I hope they are called to account for that.
    Huh? Got a cite on that? Not questioning your statement, just haven't ever seen any discussion or laws on this.
    Thanks

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    Huh? Got a cite on that? Not questioning your statement, just haven't ever seen any discussion or laws on this.
    Thanks
    I don't have an iron in this fire, the guy did break some laws, and at least one of the charges was dropped, so the following is pure speculation.

I believe, and I may be wrong, he was implying that by removing their post, they were covering up/destroying potential evidence of possible police wrongdoing, and a more correct response would be to edit the existing post with a new paragraph citing the correction, rather than deleting the original post and writing a new one.
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

https://www.thethreepercenters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
    I don't have an iron in this fire, the guy did break some laws, and at least one of the charges was dropped, so the following is pure speculation.

I believe, and I may be wrong, he was implying that by removing their post, they were covering up/destroying potential evidence of possible police wrongdoing, and a more correct response would be to edit the existing post with a new paragraph citing the correction, rather than deleting the original post and writing a new one.
    Implied cover up by removing their OP and stating the error made in their follow up with further explanation of charges? Hmm, if they hadn't mentioned their initial mistake and dropping the one charge, perhaps, but their subsequent posting spelled it out with no apparent intention to hide anything, IMO.

I thought the poster was saying it was illegal to delete a FB post.

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Sposors