Thread: Hb 311

Hb 311

Joh Gutmacher's take on the proposed bill:

https://orlandocriminallawyer.blogsp...rida-bill.html
    Mr. Ed < of course^2>
    NRA Life Member
    Florida Carry Member
    SAF & CCRKBA Member

No exception for police in that law. Every time they draw their guns they will commit a felony if they don't actually go ahead and shoot the person.
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, HFS, PPITH, PPOTH) and Chief Range Safety Officer
    Florida Carry Life Member, SAF Life Member, NRA Endowment Life Member
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Defensive Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    No exception for police in that law. Every time they draw their guns they will commit a felony if they don't actually go ahead and shoot the person.
    I generally believe there should never be special carve-outs in law for police. However, the text of this Bill is particularly stupid. I'm guessing it won't pass in the present form.
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member Riverpigusmc's Avatar
    They always do carve out for cops, which is absurd
    "All civilians are targets or dependants" Drill Instructor Boone, Parris Island

I don't own the clothes I'm wearing..and the road goes on forever..
    NRA Life Member
    Florida Carry Member
    Wilson Combat CQB, Kimber Tactical Pro, S&W J frame

COTEP #523
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHunter View Post
    I generally believe there should never be special carve-outs in law for police. However, the text of this Bill is particularly stupid. I'm guessing it won't pass in the present form.
    Agreed.
    Anyone interested in the 80's TV show Miami Vice? If so click here --->Miamiviceonline.com

The largest Miami Vice web site on the planet dedicated to all things Vice!

Distinguished Member
    The author of this bill is Ralph Massullo, Jr., a RINO out of Citrus County. He needs a good primary challenger. He carries an undeserved NRA “A” rating, despite having voted in favor of the red flag law.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." A. E. van Vogt

The companion bill in the Senate CS/SB 728: Threats has already passed out of the Infrastructure and Security committee 7 yeas 0 nays.

It looks like they have at least added the following:
    2)A person does not violate subsection (1) if he or she uses or threatens to use a firearm or any other weapon in lawful self-defense, lawful defense of others, or lawful defense of property.

I'm a bit confused about "lawful defense of property", I didn't think it was legal to use a firearm to protect property in FL?
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War: He will win who has military Capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.

Member: COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    The companion bill in the Senate CS/SB 728: Threats has already passed out of the Infrastructure and Security committee 7 yeas 0 nays.

It looks like they have at least added the following:
    2)A person does not violate subsection (1) if he or she uses or threatens to use a firearm or any other weapon in lawful self-defense, lawful defense of others, or lawful defense of property.

I'm a bit confused about "lawful defense of property", I didn't think it was legal to use a firearm to protect property in FL?
    See f.s. 776.031(2) below with my emphasis addec:

776.031 Use or threatened use of force in defense of property.—(1) A person is justified in using or threatening to use force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent or terminate the other’s trespass on, or other tortious or criminal interference with, either real property other than a dwelling or personal property, lawfully in his or her possession or in the possession of another who is a member of his or her immediate family or household or of a person whose property he or she has a legal duty to protect. A person who uses or threatens to use force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat before using or threatening to use such force.
    (2) A person is justified in using or threatening to use deadly force only if he or she reasonably believes that such conduct is necessary to prevent the imminent commission of a forcible felony. A person who uses or threatens to use deadly force in accordance with this subsection does not have a duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground if the person using or threatening to use the deadly force is not engaged in a criminal activity and is in a place where he or she has a right to be.
    History.—s. 13, ch. 74-383; s. 1189, ch. 97-102; s. 3, ch. 2005-27; s. 5, ch. 2014-195.
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Thanks for the clarification
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War: He will win who has military Capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.

Member: COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Sposors