I met a WW2 hero yesterday! - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I met a WW2 hero yesterday!

Running into history is an amazing experience. A few patients of mine have amazing stories of their service. On the other end i lived in Cleveland Park, a jewish community in St Paul, Mn. I was on the check out line behind this short old fellow. He was advancing his goods on the belt when i notice a tatooed number on his wrist............I was blown away knowing what he must have experienced........today i would have stopped to talk to him....history that should never be forgotten our heroes and our victims......
    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." ---George Orwell
    NRA certified pistol & RSO
    NRA Life member

Distinguished Member
    Great encounter and an even greater job sharing the story. WTG doc!
    A man with two watches never really knows what time it is.
    M. Twain

I think the feminists probably need some serious man in their lives.
    Delores O'Riodan

Great story and absolutely fantastic meeting. I meet some here in Sarasota once in awhile and invite them to our monthly meetings at the Disabled American Veterans Chapter in Sarasota of which I am the current Commander. I have WWII, Korea, Vietnam and Gulf war members. The stories are endless and what some of them have been through is astounding. Also, the stories about the not so mentioned conflicts in between are also quite interesting.
    LIFE MEMBER DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS
    Veterans Helping Veterans
    For help with Veterans Claims. : http://www.dav.org/veterans/find-your-local-office/

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

He came to my office today to give me a signed copy of his book! How freakin' cool is that!??

Last edited by racer88; 01-30-2020 at 05:57 PM.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Rick

"Sights are for the unenlightened."

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

LIFE MEMBER DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS
    Veterans Helping Veterans
    For help with Veterans Claims. : http://www.dav.org/veterans/find-your-local-office/

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    He came to my office today to give me a signed copy of his book! How freakin' cool is that!??

That is OUT-FRIGGIN-STANDING and no doubt he was thoroughly touched by your selfless act of treating him and his wife to lunch out of respect for his service in WWII. Well done, sir!

I only wish my appointment earlier this week would have coincided with his visit so I could have met him, too! My partner when I worked as a security guard in college was a former B-17 pilot and he had similar stories. When I asked him how many missions he flew over Europe, he replied rather matter-of-factly, "Well I flew 33 1/2 missions! I was shot down once, stayed a week, didn't like the hostelry, and decided to walk back." His story of evading capture and eventually making it back to his base in England, with the aid of the French Resistance for part of that journey, sure kept the 22 year old BeerHunter completely enthralled! What these guys went through in service of their country when they were barely adults themselves is nothing short of heroic! I feel the same way about all combat veterans.

-BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHunter View Post
    That is OUT-FRIGGIN-STANDING and no doubt he was thoroughly touched by your selfless act of treating him and his wife to lunch out of respect for his service in WWII. Well done, sir!

I only wish my appointment earlier this week would have coincided with his visit so I could have met him, too! My partner when I worked as a security guard in college was a former B-17 pilot and he had similar stories. When I asked him how many missions he flew over Europe, he replied rather matter-of-factly, "Well I flew 33 1/2 missions! I was shot down once, stayed a week, didn't like the hostelry, and decided to walk back." His story of evading capture and eventually making it back to his base in England, with the aid of the French Resistance for part of that journey, sure kept the 22 year old BeerHunter completely enthralled! What these guys went through in service of their country when they were barely adults themselves is nothing short of heroic! I feel the same way about all combat veterans.

Very cool. Yeah.. this guy was 20 years old when he went through all this. An amazing generation. So few of them left now.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

That is Awesome, thanks for sharing. God Bless our heroes

Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    Very cool. Yeah.. this guy was 20 years old when he went through all this. An amazing generation. So few of them left now.
    I believe that they truly were the greatest generation, and there were so many of them; ready to do whatever was required for their country and fellow man. It’s very humbling to think about. And the more you learn, the more humbling it is...
    Rick

"Sights are for the unenlightened."

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

Sposors