'Faithless elector': Supreme Court will hear case that could change how presidents ar

Thread: 'Faithless elector': Supreme Court will hear case that could change how presidents ar

Distinguished Member High Seas Drifter's Avatar

'Faithless elector': Supreme Court will hear case that could change how presidents ar

'Faithless elector': Supreme Court will hear case that could change how presidents are chosen

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court agreed Friday to take up an issue that could change a key element of the system America uses to elect its president, with a decision likely in the spring just as the campaign heats up.

The answer to the question could be a decisive one: Are the electors who cast the actual Electoral College ballots for president and vice president required to follow the results of the popular vote in their states? Or are they free to vote as they wish?

A decision that they are free agents could give a single elector, or a small group of them, the power to decide the outcome of a presidential election if the popular vote results in an apparent Electoral College tie or is close.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/sup...e-how-n1113051

-on Tapatalk
    • "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -The Dalai Lama

Interesting.

Last I had heard, the electors wrote in their choice. I also thought that the states dictated how their electoral votes were distributed.
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

https://www.thethreepercenters.org/

The Constitution only says that each state shall appoint electors in any manner that they choose. It is entirely up to each state's legislature to decide how the electors are chosen, and what the regulations or limitations on them are. The Constitution does specify that the electors must meet, and vote. So, you can't just have an automatic thing, where the electors are "virtual," and there is no actual casting of ballots.

So, based on that, I don't think you can absolutely prevent faithless electors. A state could, however, impose significant penalties (including jail time, I suppose) on an elector that went rogue.

And, of course, a lot of people do not realize this, but there is nothing in the Constitution that says we get to vote on the president. The states appoint electors however they want to. If their state constitution and laws allowed it (I don't think any do, but "IF"), a legislature could decided that they were just going to choose by themselves, without any voting by the citizens. They probably wouldn't ever get elected again, but it would be perfectly legal and acceptable, according the the Constitution of the United States.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Ironic that the elector in question from Colorado voted for Kasich and not Clinton as he was required to do by Colorado law. So he was removed and replaced with someone who voted for Clinton.
    Democrats wanted electors to defect from Trump and vote for Clinton but this case went the other way and they flipped out.

Quote Originally Posted by Coops View Post
    Democrats wanted electors to defect from Trump and vote for Clinton but this case went the other way and they flipped out.
    They flip out whenever anything doesn't go their way.
    Mr. Ed < of course^2>
    NRA Life Member
    Florida Carry Member
    SAF & CCRKBA Member

Quote Originally Posted by MisterEd View Post
    They flip out whenever anything doesn't go their way.
    Imagine their reaction when they (predictably) lose the 2020 election???

I really do believe there will be some major "unrest." Will be a time to "stay frosty."
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Unfortunately I think you're correct, Racer. Time to stock up although I suspect most of us keep a decent amount of 'supplies'.
    Mr. Ed < of course^2>
    NRA Life Member
    Florida Carry Member
    SAF & CCRKBA Member

Sposors