Florida Concealed Carry banner

Indiana state swat association to sponsor my course for two days

7K views 39 replies 14 participants last post by  Rick McC. 
#1 ·
Just got the heads up, all expenses paid [ flight, room, food, travel to and from ranges ]. Fly in April 29th, train 8 swat leo's per day, two days [ 16 total April 30 and May 1 ] in the threat focused pistol course.

Keith [ my ranger buddy ] is hoping to get some training gigs with various swat teams across Indiana after this conference/training seminar held annually [ bringing in guest instructors ].

We shall see how this works out, but it's an all expenses paid trip to the conference [ we train those two days for no fee ], so why not go right? :thumsup

#2 ·
Excellent! Wish I could participate in a course like that! Have a ball and keep us posted how it goes. :2thumsup

#4 ·
Keith is still trying to keep me in the game, 4 courses locally here last year. He submitted my resume for consideration to instruct this year in Indiana on one of their ranges, I didn't expect the quick response that we're in. :dunno

#5 ·
That’s great Brownie! :2thumsup

I hope putting your TFP training out in a few of these venues will finally bring it the exposure and acceptance that it deserves.

As we know; the skills could be lifesaving for many LEOs.

#7 ·
Thanks for the thoughts AD and Rick. Course announcement for those choosing courses available was

This is not a stand on a firing line and shoot tiny little groups then pat yourself on the back nor a qualification type pistol course. Show up with an open mind, we'll teach you how to stay alive with your duty pistol.

#15 ·
That could be the start of a whole new venue of police training. Certainly we know they dont get enough of the right training.....no retirement for you!!!

#21 ·
Congrats Brownie.....we know they need you to show them what they don't know......

#23 ·
#24 ·
#26 ·
Why the 9mm requirement? I would assume many still using 40 cal or 45......? Otherwise looks good!!! Good luck with the course. Dont forget the certificates......:grin

#33 · (Edited)
I read an article recently, I think in the latest Guns and Ammo.

The article was by the retired SO non-com who owns a training business. He was asked to write an article to address point shooting. So, he asked some high level competition shooter which he’d use in a $1000. match, or some such, then made the point that, if you’d use the sights for $1000., why would anyone not use them in a life threatening situation?

That usual comparison of competition shooting to a gunfight always pisses me off, as the answer is so obvious. In a gunfight you have to be fast; not “zero down!” :aarg

#35 · (Edited)
I read an article recently, I think in the latest Guns and Ammo.

The article was by the retired So non-com who owns a training business. He was asked to write an article to address point shooting. So, he asked some high level competition shooter which he’d use in a $1000. match, or some such, then made the point that, if you’d use the sights for $1000., why would anyone not use them in a life threatening situation?

That usual comparison of competition shooting to a gunfight always pisses me off, as the answer is so obvious. In a gunfight you have to be fast; not “zero down!” :aarg
If one wants any semblance of an intelligent article, one doesn't ask a trainer who has no experience in the subject who then has to go ask others with no experience or knowledge on the subject for content. An opinion piece is fine, but it doesn't speak to facts, thus should be taken with for what it is, an opinion piece.

I remember with disdain how one of the top trainers and gun rag writers, Mas Ayoob, seemed to perennially write a negative article on the failings of threat focused/point shooting skills in the real world calling anyone who offered those skills as a trainer was a snake oil salesman and run as fast as possible away from such people.

Later, in the 80's I was shooting against him monthly in one indoor plate match a month and the GSSF regional once a year. After I handed his ass to him 4 out of 5 relays in the shoot off at the end of the evening one night, he came out to the club house entrance area and asked me how I could shoot so fast and accurately using a milspec nubbed front sight on a ww2 1911a1. Took me totally by surprise and knowing him through his musings in the gun rags, told him I sighted along the side of the slide, I had no need of sights. He rolled his eyes and walked off back to the shooting area. BUT, he couldn't beat me on the plates with is 1200.00 race gun made just for plate shoots either. In those GSSF matches yearly? Beat him there too, he was a great shooter, he just took too long to find his sights against a properly trained threat focused shooter when time was in short supply.

He was writing about point shooting with no knowledge base of the subject nor had the skills to use them. But people were sold on the idea PSing wasn't something to explore, it was snake oil. He didn't know what he didn't know, like most gun writers who speak negatively on the subject. They're opinion pieces written as facts. :grin

#34 ·
^^^^
That SO non-com doesn't know what he doesn't know. Will receive no training from him! :thumbsdwn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.