Florida Concealed Carry banner

.22 Mag for self defense

7K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  Rick McC. 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I'll regularly carry my NAA 22mag PUG in my pocket. When exiting stores into parking lots, it's easily concealed/palmed with no notice, but instantly available as the first line of defense at bad breath should someone suddenly appear/pop up from behind a parked car with ill intent. Tactic will be to fire one round at near or at point blank to the face, drop it and draw the belt gun.

Forethought goes a long way, think outside the box.

#31 ·
Doyou carry in pocket as is? or in some sort of pocket holster ?
As is, or in their small soft holster [ either is acceptable ] once the NAA hammer is secured in one of the notches between cylinders, the gun is safed until the hammer is cocked rotating the cylinder and aligning a round with the chamber.

#3 ·
.22 mag has been a hog killing round since forever

#8 ·
Got it thanks. I was wondering if sights are even necessary for what it is designed for? Bad breath distance for a face shot as you say. I saw the two different options. I also saw Hickok45 do a review on these a long time back and his struggles with the grip with his meat cleaver hands.

#12 ·
In total darkness, that big glow up front points the way for a Quick Kill pistol shot if it's just beyond bad breath in the low light/darkness. Only reason I have it on mine, one day it may be used instinctively. :thumsup

- - - Updated - - -

Sights? :grin
Sight, singular, as the reference point :grin

- - - Updated - - -

His response is for the unenlightened that may read this thread some day... :grin
exactly :grin

#9 ·
Sights? :grin

#23 ·
#25 ·
I have the Minis in 22lr. Even have the black powder version. I use mine similar to how Brownie uses his, however, I use snakeshot for the first two rounds. I've seen what it does to the splatter targets. Pizza face. Immediate break in contact to get to the larger guns. At least that's how I envision it.

-on Tapatalk

#26 ·
When I posred,I wasn’t focused on .22 Mag as a bug, more on it as a primary gun for someone who can’f handle the recoil of a more pouwerful round, and I still think it is a viable choice for those individuals. But as I looked at it in more detail, i’ve come to think that the Ruger lcr in .327 Federal Magnum is probably a better choice as there are 4 different rounds it can shoot which run the gamut in power/recoil levels. Any thoughts?

#34 · (Edited)
I bought one 20 yrs ago, (22 lr) I also bought a neck holster for it, it just hangs on your chest until needed.
Like Hickory said, if you have large hands, its harder to manipulate.

I bought mine because I heard of a policeman that carry's one in a hard pack of Marlboro's in his shirt pocket.
It saved his life when he was unarmed in a armed robbery at a gas station and the BG came back to check on him or finish him off, he shot the BG guy with the FA 22 and went home at the end of the day to his family.

That's called being smoked by a boro !

A person once told me that the freedom arms 22 is a mouse gun and that a knife was better in his opinion, so I asked him if he would like to shoot himself in the leg with it and see if that was true.
He passed on the idea..

#35 ·
When in uniform, I'd carried mine in my 8 point cover, behind the badge with duct tape. The older chief just retiring took a liking to me as we were both "shooters" and suggested I carry 3 guns when on duty. A BUG on the ankle [ 38spl ] and that NAA 22lr taped in the cover. I've usually listened to old salts who've worked the streets, their actions are based on experience and considerable forethought.

#36 ·
I got mine in .22LR over 30 years ago. I believe the last times I carried it was when working disaster relief after the hurricanes in ‘04. Agency staff were absolutely not allowed to have firearms of any kind while working, or in District vehicles. It hid very nicely in a zippered wallet in my pocket, and of course, no one had any idea.

It still lives in that wallet.

#37 ·
As indicated, I too have a Pug. I was an expert in a case involving a drop fire that caused an older diabetic gent to lose a leg.

It’s the only revolving cylinder weapon made in the last century with the notches Brownie discussed. They call for violation of our basic safety rules to load and they can have the hammer move during jostling around in the pocket. If hit or dropped in that condition it will fire unexpectedly.

The “holster grip” they call it is useless as a safety feature in my opinion and creates a false sense of security.

I carried one too like Brownie or a high standard derringer in a wallet holster. Nice little revolvers that need special care/awareness to carry.

#39 ·
I remember those hi-standards and the wallets with the hole for the trigger finger, so it could be fired while contained within the holster. I believe that those wallets may be illegal to use now unless proper paperwork and tax stamp is performed (like a suppressor).

Beyond stupid, I know...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.