Ken Hackathorn on 2020 Colt Python

Thread: Ken Hackathorn on 2020 Colt Python

Ken Hackathorn on 2020 Colt Python

Ken says the new gun has a better trigger than the original, and prefers the new gun over the old version.

https://youtu.be/HrLYZruNw_g

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Distinguished Member 7.62Kolectr's Avatar
    I read an article the other day that said the same. They used pull gauges to show the new trigger was easier and smoother than the old ones. The gun is definitely spinning the heads of the purists. They are saying it’s not a hand tuned pistol like the old ones. That is true but it seems the new ones are better in some ways like the trigger.
    ¥ The origin of your right to keep and bear arms ¥
    http://constitution.org/lrev/rkba_wayment.htm
    COTEP#782

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
    I read an article the other day that said the same. They used pull gauges to show the new trigger was easier and smoother than the old ones. The gun is definitely spinning the heads of the purists. They are saying it’s not a hand tuned pistol like the old ones. That is true but it seems the new ones are better in some ways like the trigger.
    If it is reliable and has a better trigger, I could care less if it was "hand-tuned."
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Question is whether it will be a limited run that drives the price up.
    "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." Ronald Reagan, June 6, 1984, speech at Omaha Beach Memorial
    COTEP: 739

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHunter View Post
    If it is reliable and has a better trigger, I could care less if it was "hand-tuned."
    I'm not so sure "hand-tuned" is a positive these days. I'm with BeerHunter... If it's reliable, robustly-built, and has a BETTER action... then Colt will have a MONUMENTAL winner on their hands. This gun has moved to the TOP of my wish list. I WILL HAVE ONE!!
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Distinguished Member 7.62Kolectr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by edgehill View Post
    Question is whether it will be a limited run that drives the price up.
    Regular production gun with special models coming in the future. That came from somebody who works for Colt and posted elsewhere. Would be nice to see some new royal blue ones.
    ¥ The origin of your right to keep and bear arms ¥
    http://constitution.org/lrev/rkba_wayment.htm
    COTEP#782

"Hand Tuned" is a fancy $$ adding term that means "We filed and sanded the rough machined parts until they fit in the gun and worked."

To be fair, most gun parts were made that way when the pythons first came out. Much of the quality and interchangeability of parts back then was based on how skilled your "detail men" were in getting the basic part to final dimensions within the given tolerance.

The new parts are probably made by MIM or investment casting and CNC milled, or just CNC milled from a chunk of steel and as a result, far more consistent from part to part.

Ruger pioneered investment casting with their revolvers to great success.

MIM still has a bad reputation in the gun world, mainly because of problems by the companies that adopted it early, like Kimber. A MIM part, made of the proper alloy, and then heat treated correctly, can be just as strong, if not stronger than a comparable part machined from a block, and not require annealing/normalizing to relieve stresses that would be required by a machined part.
    Last edited by AFJuvat; 01-09-2020 at 09:26 AM.
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

https://www.thethreepercenters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
    The new parts are probably made by MIM or investment casting and CNC milled, or just CNC milled from a chunk of steel and as a result, far more consistent from part to part.
    Yep. Modern production methods are much more precise than what was available even just 20 years ago. Good enough that hand tuning would probably make the fit WORSE, not better!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Denverd0n View Post
    Yep. Modern production methods are much more precise than what was available even just 20 years ago. Good enough that hand tuning would probably make the fit WORSE, not better!
    This was precisely my point and I guess racer's, too.
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Quote Originally Posted by BeerHunter View Post
    This was precisely my point and I guess racer's, too.
    I agree with all of the afore on this point. They were hand tuned because they had to be to get them to fit. Now the specs are machined with newer technology to tighter tolerances than ever. I have no idea how I am going to talk my wife into letting me drop this kind of cash on one, but at some point, I will own one. They are gorgeous.

Sposors