Florida Concealed Carry banner

New Colt Python 2020!

9K views 42 replies 14 participants last post by  2411 
#1 ·
Since we don't have a Pistols forum, I guess this goes in the "carry weapons" forum. :)

Damn... I gotta admit this new Python looks GOOD. I might have to save my pennies for one!

But, I may also wait for the Royal Blue version to come out. I think THAT'S the "right" finish for a Python.

#4 ·
May have moved to the very top of my wish list. Oh, baby!

No way I can afford / justify an original. I hear they're going for 5-figures these days.

But, this looks pretty sweet. And, I've been jonesing for a full-size revolver... was figuring on either a S&W 686 or a Ruger equivalent. But, now this comes along... <drool!>

#5 ·
^^^^
Similar jonesing going on here and new Python would be awesome, though I'd be content with a S&W or Ruger, too.

#9 ·
:rofl

#12 ·
Even if you end up buying this new Colt, you still need a 686 in your life. Smiths have the best revolver actions bar none imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I want One......just to compare to my other Pythons......I am thinking the shorter barrel right now.....the old deep black blue would be really nice.....

#15 ·
Yeah... I'm starting to think... a 4" barrel model in stainless. And, a 6" in Royal Blue, if and when they come out with them. TWO of 'em!

#16 · (Edited)
HIckok45 puts the 2020 Python through its paces, and it exhibits a couple of failures.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dO-lQEX49U

He talks about it at the beginning of the video. You can then skip ahead to about the 30:20 mark.

#17 · (Edited)
Watched the whole thing. Well... that's a bit concerning. But, I bet they get it sorted out. There's too much at stake. The good thing is that it's probably going to be a while before I can swing one. So, hopefully when I'm ready, they'll be ready! :)

Colt needs to get ahead of this PRONTO. Or, they're done. Forever.

#18 ·
Watched the video, too and wholeheartedly agree. My guess is something changed between the design, build, test phase and full scale production phase of this new production gun. A brand new Colt revolver should be 100% reliable. Still want one but only AFTER Colt gets this insidious cylinder issue worked out.

#19 · (Edited)
Here's mine. Royal blue, 4" barrel, produced in 1981. (My lousy photos come nowhere near to capturing the beautiful, deep blue, ultra high gloss finish.)

I like it a lot and it's a wonderful revolver to shoot. But, I shoot my Smith & Wesson Model 15-3 with 4" barrel (produced in 1975) just as well. And, my Ruger "Couger" (A Ruger Security Six frame with Colt Python 4" barrel, assembled in the early 1980's by a very talented gunsmith) is very close.

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol
Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

#22 ·
I had a 6" blue Python and sold it ages ago. I've been toying with buying another but somehow the pricing is a bit steep. I think that I'll definitely get one of the new models.

#23 ·
I'd hold off a bit. There may be an issue with the cylinder not advancing. A few cases on youtube, including "Hickok45."

I expect they'll get it sorted out, though.

#25 ·
American Rifleman interviews the senior VP for Colt about the reported issues with the new Python.

What do you think about how the Colt VP handled the questions? I'll reserve my opinion for now. I'm curious how others feel.

#26 · (Edited)
What do you think about how the Colt VP handled the questions? I'll reserve my opinion for now. I'm curious how others feel.
He seemed to handle the questions as I'd expect a VP would. Yes, if he's being totally up front that out of over 2,000 Pythons shipped, only 5 have been returned with problems (<0.25%) represents a small number of problems, but I wonder what he would say to the relatives of someone using one for SD and only heard a "click" instead?

No doubt Hickok45 is at Shot Show and I wonder if they'll have a conversation about what he documented in his video review? It's a bit difficult to believe that one of only 5 problem Pythons out of 2,000 shipped just happened to be the one in Hickock45's video. :dunno

#31 ·
Still want one. I wonder if they've worked out the bugs?

I might sell some knives to fund this gun. Some of my Spydercos have gone up in value a fair bit!

#33 ·
Been jones'n for one of those new Pythons since they were announced. Not ready to pick one up yet, but it's definitely on my bucket list! (y)

#37 ·
Looking around the interwebz, some are saying that's BS... that it's the "hand" that turns the cylinder... a problem with that. I don't know enough about revolver actions to elaborate on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.