Puerto Rico Takes a Giant Leap for Gun Rights with Act 168

Thread: Puerto Rico Takes a Giant Leap for Gun Rights with Act 168

I got this in an email from a friend of mine. Not sure where he got it or if this is factual but I thought I’d share anyway. If this is true, good for them.

Edit: A Google search seems to confirm it’s true.

by Dean Rieck
    7:00AM MONDAY, DECEMBER 23, 2019

The Puerto Rico Weapons Act of 2020, also known as Act 168, signed by Governor Wanda Vázquez Garced, is set to bring significant gun rights to one of the most repressive gun control regimes in the U.S. starting January 1, 2020.
    The changes are so sweeping and positive, it's a Christmas miracle and a Happy New Year for the nearly 2.9 million citizens who live on the island.
    The law is, of course, written in Spanish, so the English translation may be a little clunky. However, this excerpt from the preamble explains the intent, which is to:
    ... create a new law that adjusts to the current reality looking for a balance between the [constitutional rights] of a person to own and bear arms and the right of the state to regulate it [and] reduce the costs associated with owning and carrying a weapon ....

By the standards of many U.S. states, the resulting law may still sound repressive, but for residents of this Territory, the changes are dramatic.
    The $1,500 may-issue license will become a $200 shall-issue 5-year license for both gun ownership and concealed carry, with half-price renewals. The minimum age is 21 for all guns.
    The government must process the application and issue the license within 45 days. That time frame drops to 30 days after the law has been in effect for a year.
    Licensees will be able to own modern sporting rifles with no additional restrictions. No more universal "assault weapon" or "high capacity" magazine bans.
    Licensees will be able to own Class III items, such as suppressors, as long as they have all required ATF tax stamps.

Those without a license will finally be able to shoot at ranges. Until this law, someone even touching a gun could face arrest and a prison sentence. Moreover, the government actually seeks to promote shooting through clubs, shooting organizations, and competitions.
    For visitors, the Territory will recognize the carry license of any U.S. state. It's limited to one loaded firearm. Additional firearms must be unloaded.
    Don't think any of this means a permissive attitude about enforcement, though. The new law also says that if you possess or carry a gun without a license, you may serve prison time. If you buy more than 20,000 rounds of ammo or 10 guns within any calendar year, the police may show up at your doorstep to make sure you're not trafficking on the black market. On the other hand, there are no limits to how many guns you can own.

Why the big change? For one thing, Puerto Rico's harsh gun control policies have failed in spectacular fashion. While the country imposed extreme infringements, it suffered from extreme crime. Murder rates have been higher than in any U.S. state, averaging four times the murder rate of the U.S. overall.
    It also didn't hurt that a class action lawsuit blew up the old laws, and resulted in Puerto Ricans suddenly being able to own and carry guns pretty much without any rules at all. Oops. That forced lawmakers to take action and rethink the laws.
    During the holidays, when you're enjoying a little eggnog or beverage of choice, raise a toast to our fellow citizens in sunny Puerto Rico. They've had hard times with hurricanes and poverty. But at least now they can enjoy some Second Amendment rights.
    Salud!
    Last edited by joecarry; 12-24-2019 at 01:42 PM.
    Anyone interested in the 80's TV show Miami Vice? If so click here --->Miamiviceonline.com

The largest Miami Vice web site on the planet dedicated to all things Vice!

This is amazing!!
    LIFE MEMBER DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS
    Veterans Helping Veterans
    For help with Veterans Claims. : http://www.dav.org/veterans/find-your-local-office/

And I thought we were finally letting go of it as a territory.

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Learned about this on the Florida Carry FB page last week and confirmed it with the CCW 50 State app. The really, really good news is that it recognizes a license to carry from any state or territory of the United States. However, the new law is written in Spanish and I'm waiting for a verified accurate English translation to completely digest it fully and make sure I understand it, since there is some apparently tricky language that I'm not 100% certain has been reported accurately in the English language press reports thus far. But I am very optimistic!
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Does this mean if your going to go shoot at one of their ranges you can open carry all the way there?

Explain that one to TSA.
    Anyone interested in the 80's TV show Miami Vice? If so click here --->Miamiviceonline.com

The largest Miami Vice web site on the planet dedicated to all things Vice!

Distinguished Member Barry45ACP's Avatar

New Puerto Rico Gun Laws Take Effect January 1, 2020

Many changes coming for Puerto Rico on January 1st, with the new shall-issue laws from Act 168, all 50 states will be allowed to carry there (apparently with a permit from their home state).
    NOT that I'd have a desire to carry there, but it's one more reciprocity box to check off.

"For visitors to the territory (that’s you and me), Puerto Rico will now recognize any state’s carry license. With a valid carry license, you can carry one loaded firearm. Additional firearms must be unloaded."

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...ect-january-1/

Last edited by Barry45ACP; 12-27-2019 at 10:38 AM.
    A 9mm may expand but a .45 doesn't shrink!

Super Moderator
    Threads merged and relocated both to "Law and Order" forum.
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Sposors