Shooting at California's Saugus High School Leaves 2 Students Dead - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shooting at California's Saugus High School Leaves 2 Students Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie948 View Post
    These types of monsters have been doing these evil deeds ever since Cain murdered his brother with a """ROCK"""
    They are all over this world and in every country.
    They are just part of nature and will never be stopped from killing.
    SERIAL KILLERS =
    EVIL LEADERS OF COUNTRIES=
    just look back into history and see what people did to each other for no apparent reason other then KILL and usually under the lies of RELIGION.
    It will never ever be eliminated and if no guns, no knives, no swords, no weapons at all, the evil monster human will find a way to kill.
    If anyone thinks they can stop these people I would like to know the plan.
    Ronnie

I totally agree, Ronnie. But we can't escape the fact that these incidents have been increasing in later decades (or, at least, they're being reported more aggressively by the MSM). In the late 50's and early 60' they were unheard of. These days??? And we are all "expert speculators" as to why that is.

Without more data for "trend analysis," I'd speculate that:

1) The population in the USA has soared, and economic and other resources are getting a lot tighter... hence more competition and more potential for "random" incidents;

2) There has been a total weakening and lack of "parental control..." ie. parents not raising their kids to do right and, most importantly, to respect life; (i.e. there seems to be a prevalant
    attitude that it's "OK" to kill people to solve one's problems in life....);

3) Along with "2)" above, there has been a weakening of the mechanisms that handle "mental health" in this country. And, with that increasing population from 1), proportionately increased mentally ill people;

4) Lack of enforcement of existing laws (and/or maintenance of current systems (NICS, etc.), that keep track of those who are adjudicated mentally ill and/or are convicted felons, etc.). Said maintenance including a clearing of records for those entered in error, or who have completed their obligations and cleared their names.

We should all be attempting to address all of these concerns. I was merely attempting to take a whack at 3) above, and trying to figure out what factors in re: "mental health" we're dealing with.

Quote Originally Posted by FfNJGTFO View Post
    And just what was it that made that m***********r crazy? Who knows?
    Figure that out, and you'll be a very rich man. So far, in the history of mankind... nobody has figured out the answer.

I just accept that some mofos be crazy. I accept that I cannot prevent or change crazy. I just have to watch out for it and avoid it.

PS... Here are the "Top Ten" things I KNOW DIDN'T turn anyone into a crazy murderer:

1. Us / Society.

2. Guns.

3. The NRA.

4. The NBA.

5. Global warming.

6. Assuming his gender.

7. Lack-a-nooki.

8. Gluten.

9. Racism.

10. Donald Trump.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Quote Originally Posted by OHEng View Post
    Tough issue, good points on each side, but I think I'm more inclined to side with racer88 on this matter. It would be one thing if finding out these answers actually resulted in something. Why did Columbine happen? Why Vegas? Why Pulse? Why MSD High School? Each case had something to do with people who were imbalanced to say the least, there was lots of digging and unearthing of reasons... but none of it useful in preventing a future act.

If that's the case, then why probe into the details of some sick mind?

I think the only reason the media makes a song of it is because it has emotional appeal, thus people will tune in to find out the latest dysfunctional facts.
    Exactly... there is no shortage of "data." We've had PLENTY of examples and opportunities to "figure out their motivations." We are no closer to knowing the "answer" today, in 2019, than we were when the University of Texas tower shooting happened in 1966.

Some people be crazy up in da head. Call it "mental health issues," if that assuages the little PC guy on your shoulder.

The best thing we can do is RECOGNIZE the OBVIOUS SIGNS and ACT on them. There is the point of failure that can EASILY be addressed. When the police are called to the perp's residence 40 times... when the perp is caught bringing knives and ammo to school... when the perp makes EXPLICIT THREATS that he's going to "shoot up the school" on ****ing YouTube video... when the perp is KNOWN to ALL the kids in the school as a crazy mofo... Yeah... 'nuff said, eh?

Or we can try to delve into his crazy-ass mind and derive some delusional "PC" satisfaction that we're "doing something."
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by deadeyedick View Post
    Wow, what an incredibly backwards, ignorant attitude. Good thing the folks at the FBI's Behavioral Analysis Unit don't subscribe to that kind of thinking.
    And, exactly how many school mass murder incidents has the FBI prevented?

Yeah... I'm ignorant and backwards! LOL! I'm actually laughing out loud.

What's backwards, indefensible, and inexcusable is to IGNORE the bad guy TELLING you he's going to shoot up a school. He ****ing TOLD everyone he's going to do it. But, you're mostly interested in how the PERP would explain his "motives???" THAT'S what some of you think is important??? Not the STUNNING series of malfeasant blunders made by those who could have EASILY prevented this? (Thinking of the MSD murders.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    Why MSD High School?
    Answer: The m***********r was crazy.
    But the real answer(s): The Broward County School Board, the Promise Program, former "Sheriff" Scott Israel, Broward County School Superintendent Robert Runcie, and former US Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, School Resource Officer Scot Peterson, and a long list of others. Not necessarily in that order.

Sometimes it actually is useful to dig a little and to ask questions.
    (...as long as it's not the crazy killer answering them!)
    BINGO!!
    Last edited by racer88; 11-16-2019 at 03:51 PM.
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Distinguished Member High Seas Drifter's Avatar
    But we can't escape the fact that these incidents have been increasing in later decades (or, at least, they're being reported more aggressively by the MSM). In the late 50's and early 60' they were unheard of. These days???
    If memory serves me correctly, the first school shooting was in the 40s, with six dead. Albeit all adults, I believe. I also remember seeing there were more shootings in the 90s than today.

I agree with you on the news thing. We're more connected than ever now. 24-hour news cycle, phone alerts, emails, and the list goes on.

-on Tapatalk
    • "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -The Dalai Lama

When I was a kid in Delaware there was a place named "FARNHURST" that was a mental institution.
    It is not there now.
    There was "FOREST INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL" where the unruly , bad kids were sent when they could not be under control properly.
    I have been in Florida for 41 Years now and never ever heard of anything to be available to at least screen the mentally ill or Juvenal thugs.
    Of course we have prisons and jails but they are nothing but holding tanks that allow the criminals each others trade.
    Ronnie
    N.R.A. - FLORIDA CARRY - D.A.V. - American Legion - M.C.A.--- U.S. Army disabled Veteran, GOA
    If you are not a member of the N.R.A. - It is time to join - Turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members
    If your not a member of FLORIDA CARRY it is time to join.

An armed population conststs of CITIZENS"
    AN UN-ARMED POPULATION CONSTSTS OF "SUBJECTS

Distinguished Member bladenbullet's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by High Seas Drifter View Post
    If memory serves me correctly, the first school shooting was in the 40s, with six dead. Albeit all adults, I believe. I also remember seeing there were more shootings in the 90s than today.

I agree with you on the news thing. We're more connected than ever now. 24-hour news cycle, phone alerts, emails, and the list goes on.

-on Tapatalk
    yes...
    Top Dog Wannabe....

"the two most important days of your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why"...mark twain

"a ship in harbor is safe. but thats not what ships are built for."
    john a shedd

keep moving...if you make em believe youre crazier than they are theyd have to be a fool to stick around and find out what youre capable of...me...

pink is the new black....

-on Tapatalk

I'm not denying that they *didn't* happen back then. I'm just wondering how many back then, and/or how often were they "reported." The very first school shooting I recall that made the national MSM was Charles Whitman atop of the tower at Univ. of Texas, Austin. And the media made a big deal out of it because it seems that stories like that had not been reported on much. I don't ever recall a time back then when anyone would consider banning weapons on campus. Even up to the mid 70's there were rifle and pistol clubs on school campuses, and some even had ranges. These days? Highly unlikely.

Something has changed. What?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie948 View Post
    When I was a kid in Delaware there was a place named "FARNHURST" that was a mental institution.
    It is not there now.
    There was "FOREST INDUSTRIAL SCHOOL" where the unruly , bad kids were sent when they could not be under control properly.
    I have been in Florida for 41 Years now and never ever heard of anything to be available to at least screen the mentally ill or Juvenal thugs.
    Of course we have prisons and jails but they are nothing but holding tanks that allow the criminals each others trade.
    Ronnie
    In NY State, there was the "Willowbrook" State school for children with "intellectual disabilities" (read Mentall Ill). Made famous by Geraldo Rivera's secret raid on it to expose abuses.

In NJ, there was the "Greystone Park Psychiatric Hospital," near where I lived.

Neither serves their original intended purpose, these days. Perhaps, they should.

Distinguished Member High Seas Drifter's Avatar
    Something has changed. What?
    We're more connected than ever now. 24-hour news cycle, phone alerts, emails, and the list goes on.
    Availability Bias (also, Attention Bias, Anchoring Bias): A fallacy of logos stemming from the natural tendency to give undue attention and importance to information that is immediately available at hand, particularly the first or last information received, and to minimize or ignore broader data or wider evidence that clearly exists but is not as easily remembered or accessed.

The Big Lie Technique (also the Bold Faced Lie; "Staying on Message."): The contemporary fallacy of repeating a lie, fallacy, slogan, talking-point, nonsense-statement or deceptive half-truth over and over in different forms (particularly in the media) until it becomes part of daily discourse and people accept it without further proof or evidence. Sometimes the bolder and more outlandish the Big Lie becomes the more credible it seems to a willing, most often angry audience.

These are two examples.

-on Tapatalk
    • "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." -The Dalai Lama

Sposors