Florida Concealed Carry banner

What should I do with the finish on this revolver?

• Refiish in polished blue

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Refinish in matte blue

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Leave it as is

Votes: 5 62.5%

Looking for opinions on what to do with my new purchase

4K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  shooter4 
#1 ·
I just picked up a Smith & Wesson Model 13. Mechanically it's in good shape, but the finish has seen better days. There's no real pitting; the gun feels smooth to the touch. It's mostly just discoloration of the blueing. I plan to send it to the S&W Performance Center to have it refinished and to have the cylinder holes chamfered. Just wondering if you guys think I should go with the polished blue or the bead-blasted matte finish. I'm leaning towards the matte blue, as it seems more practical (and is less expensive). Also, do you guys think I should I have the cylinder release replaced with the modern version or keep it original?

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Starting pistol

See less See more
#2 ·
Keep it with the original cylinder release, as the change would make no functional difference.

Were it mine, I’d keep the finish as is. I have a couple of Colts that are worn far worse than your Smith.

Nice find! :thumsup

#5 ·
Nice gun. If I was going to refinish... polished blue for me. I just think revolvers look nice in polished blue... though neither of my revolvers has such a finish! :)

No opinion on the cylinder release, as I don't know what the difference would be.

Either way, congrats on the nice acquisition!

#6 · (Edited)
I think it was 1982 that Florida started to allow carry "in a vehicle securely encased."

I only owned a few guns back then. I bought a S&W Model 65 to put in the glove box of the truck. I wanted a gun with no sentimental value in case something happened to it. It looks just like yours except it is stainless steel. I have had it so long now that it has sentimental value.

Unless you are going to use it as a Texas BBQ gun, I would leave it just like it is.

#8 ·
Nice find and I'm with Rick McC leave the cylinder release and finish as is. If you really want it refinished, then I'm with racer on the polished blue, but that's just me. :dunno

Whatever you do, please post picts of the end result for us to ogle over if you refinish it! :popcorn

#10 ·
Not enough information, but yes this appears to be the same configuration as the FBI issued gun.

I am somewhat familiar with the FBI revolvers because I have a FBI 50th anniversary circa 1984 Model 27 and I kind of like to track the value.

#11 ·
Leave the cylinder release as is.

If you are going to refinish it, go for the high polish. Revolvers look great with a high polish blue.

#13 ·
My old 27-2 shows a lot more bluing wear than yours, but it is a great shooter. I've given thought to making it pretty again, but have ended up leaving it like it is, but that is at least partly (or maybe mostly) because I'm so cheap. I won't vote, so if it makes you happy to refinish, just do it. But, if you do have that done I agree that some "after" pictures would be nice.

#18 ·
I would do it in master bluing. I had a 1911 done and an employee at Gators Guns decades ago now collected smith 44cal revolvers and many were blued....they were beautiful. I had a model 10 that I sold to a friend.....it was a low round count pistol. Wish I still had it. I would definitely send it out to be blued with new grips......the 10 I have today has too many rounds through it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.