AR-15 Saves Tampa Couple in Armed Home Invasion - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AR-15 Saves Tampa Couple in Armed Home Invasion

Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    I've got an FNH FS2000 I'll sell ya for a good price!
    I'll remain a Tavor user, but appreciate the offer. 4" shorter than an ar with 16" barrel and 4-6 position butt stock
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by brownie View Post
    A pistol will always be easier to "wield" in tight spaces/confines of a home than a 30"+ ar, no matter the skills level of the user. Now easier to hit with than a pistol may be a different story for many people.

If she'd used an m14/m1a or m1 carbine, would the consensus be the same as has been expressed here? Everyone needs an m14/m1a or m1 carbine? I find it all so amusing those who champion the ar being used as a reason for owning one based on this example.

I'd proffer that a long gun is much harder to wield properly inside the confines of a home than a pistol. That's based on two week long entry courses using both subguns and pistols.
    M1 Carbine wouldn't be bad. Shot the one that Shooter4 brought. It has about the same recoil as an AR. I actually have the Tavor X95 set as my primary in-home rifle. Shorter than the AR I own with the same basic ballistics.
    "We will always remember. We will always be proud. We will always be prepared, so we may always be free." Ronald Reagan, June 6, 1984, speech at Omaha Beach Memorial
    COTEP: 739

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

A pistol will always be easier to "wield" in tight spaces/confines of a home than a 30"+ ar, no matter the skills level of the user. Now easier to hit with than a pistol may be a different story for many people.
    Right, I said "wield effectively", not just "wield". I think lesser-trained people can probably hit with an AR15 easier than with a pistol.

Yes, a 16" barreled rifle may be less than ideal for CQB, but in this instance the attacker wasn't right on top of her, so that didn't work against her.

If she'd used an m14/m1a or m1 carbine, would the consensus be the same as has been expressed here?
    The M14 is a couple pounds heavier than the AR15, and that might be an issue for some people. Also it's a .308 and will have a helluvalot more recoil than a .223 AR15 would. The M1 Carbine on the other hand is lighter than the AR15 and has about the same recoil, so it might serve that role admirably.

Everyone needs an m14/m1a or m1 carbine? I find it all so amusing those who champion the ar being used as a reason for owning one based on this example.
    I didn't see anybody say "everyone needs an AR15". But I do think that as a matter of general preparedness everyone should own at least one AR15 - preferably one for each family member who is old enough to wield a rifle.

I'd proffer that a long gun is much harder to wield properly inside the confines of a home than a pistol. That's based on two week long entry courses using both subguns and pistols.
    Yep, it is. Without proper training you're bound to run into problems if CQB happens. Negotiating corners is harder. Lots of stuff. But homeowners don't need to be able to do everything a SWAT team does. With any luck they can hole up in a bedroom somewhere, dial 911, and shoot whatever kicks the door open. An AR15 works fine for that.

As we all know, pistols suck. Everyone loves to argue that pistols don't have stopping power, only rifles and shotguns do. The purpose of a pistol is to fight your way back to a rifle or shotgun. Speaking of SWAT teams, you don't see most SWAT teams stacking on a door with nothing but pistols. Granted, their "long guns" are usually short - short barreled rifles or short barreled shotguns. Unfortunately owning such firearms requires a little extra paperwork for non-government users but with the proliferation of "pistol" versions of rifles, and the goofy "forearm brace" that serves as a crappy stock, that has eliminated a lot of that problem.

I consider myself to be above average in handgun skill, but at my house the firearm that is within arm's reach most of the time is a 14.5" barreled, select fire M16. I reckon that any problem that can't be solved by a 30 round magazine in an M16 probably just can't be solved by one person.
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, HFS, PPITH, PPOTH) and Chief Range Safety Officer
    Florida Carry Life Member, SAF Life Member, NRA Endowment Life Member
    Front Sight Distinguished Graduate, Defensive Handgun, Glock 35 and Glock 23
    FFL Type 7, Class 2 SOT (Licensed NFA Firearms Manufacturer)
    Need a defensive force "legal plan"? Consider Self Defense Fund (SDF). Feel free to PM me with questions.

I didn't see anybody say "everyone needs an AR15". But I do think that as a matter of general preparedness everyone should own at least one AR15 - preferably one for each family member who is old enough to wield a rifle.

Why do you believe that?

Granted, their "long guns" are usually short - short barreled rifles or short barreled shotguns.

which goes back to my stating an 16" barreled 30+" oal ar is a hinderance unless one will stay in a room and not go hunting for that noise/BG. Which is what most homeowners will have, not your shorter version ar variant.

Stay Sharp

Brownie

I miss the M14! Choice of shoot, stab with bayonet or vertical butt stroke. Variety is the spice of life!
    God is great, beer is good, people are crazy.
    USMC 66-69 "wing wiper" Sgt E-5

DON'T DISS THE DONALD!

COTEP #744

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Why do you believe that?
    I think that, going into an uncertain future of 2A rights, the AR15 is the rifle to own. I think it is easily the most commonly owned rifle in the country, and as such there are literally tons of repair parts in private hands. Parts are generally interchangeable and the guns are very easy to work on. Receivers are reasonably easy to make from 80%'ers and there are literally tons of 80%'ers in private hands.

Also the AR15 is reasonably easy to convert to full auto if you know what you are doing and M16 fire control components are reasonably plentiful and can be made from AR15 components without too much trouble.

The above is applicable to the whole TEOTWAWKI thing for those that factor that into their armament plans. The whole TEOTWAWKI thing seems sort of fanciful until you see how many near misses we've had with "big space rocks" lately and realize that one that's big enough can put us there more or less immediately.

Those issues aside, if all of the arms-bearing members of the family have the same rifle (whatever it is, AR15 or otherwise) then everyone can grab any rifle, all use the same mags, have the same manual of arms, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianB View Post
    Granted, their "long guns" are usually short - short barreled rifles or short barreled shotguns.
    Which goes back to my stating an 16" barreled 30+" oal ar is a hinderance unless one will stay in a room and not go hunting for that noise/BG. Which is what most homeowners will have, not your shorter version ar variant.
    Yeah, a standard, non-NFA length AR15 is not ideal for home defense. But I never argued it was.
    NRA Certified Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, HFS, PPITH, PPOTH) and Chief Range Safety Officer
    Need a defensive force "legal plan"? Consider Self Defense Fund (SDF). Feel free to PM me with questions.

Maybe the BEST reason to own an AR-15 is because it makes progressive leftists cry!

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Maybe the BEST reason to own an AR-15 is because it makes progressive leftists cry!
    ^ This

Super Moderator

That's enough to make any 2A friendly guy want one!
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Sposors