Using Copyrighted Content on a Website – Including News Articles and Videos – Secure - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Using Copyrighted Content on a Website – Including News Articles and Videos – Secure

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie948 View Post
    Like I said,
    It is a sticky & tricky area and just do not get caught selling a persons copyrighted material for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ronnie
    And as you have been told already, more than once, money has NOTHING to do with it!

If you don't know what you are talking about, perhaps you should stop talking!

Oh yeah, and Lautermilch brought up this copyright stuff as some sort of excuse for his lazy, click-bait sort of posts -- a link and nothing more.

Nope. Doesn't fly. Nothing to do with copyright excuses that sort of posting. It is just plain LAZY!

(Unless, of course, there is some sort of hidden, click-bait motivation behind it, which I can't figure out. And then it's not lazy, it's just devious.)
    Last edited by Denverd0n; 10-29-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie948 View Post
    Like I said,
    It is a sticky & tricky area and just do not get caught selling a persons copyrighted material for $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ronnie
    Yeah... again... irrelevant whether you're selling someone else's IP. If you're just caught USING it, you can be nailed for infringement. For example, if I use a Getty Images image on my NON-COMMERCIAL blog site (where I just write about $hit) without paying the licensing fee, they can sue... and for substantial amounts of money (thousands).

Google "Getty Images letter."

I had to tell several "colleagues" to stop using my website copy and images. I had to tell another to stop using my trademark. People mistakenly think that if it's found through Google and on the "web," it's free for the taking and using.

Your belief that infringement lawsuits are predicated on the COMMERCIAL use (for profit) of someone else's IP, you are simply and completely mistaken.
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

OK...cut to the chase....IS a video from a store camera or a personal cell phone that is put on Facebook, a forum or YouTube showing a robbery or shooting a copy righted video or not???? Is it correct to say..a copy right must be applied for and granted like a Patent or Trademark?
    Last edited by mike_1950; 10-29-2019 at 03:45 PM.
    NRA Member
    FBI & NIS Live action qualification course
    Range Officer/Safe Shooter Course -GTR
    USN Expert pistol Award
    USN Fleet Competitive Pistol Team / Representative of 8th Naval District
    USN Rifle Marksman

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1950 View Post
    OK...cut to the chase....IS a video from a store camera or a personal cell phone that is put on Facebook, a forum or YouTube showing a robbery or shooting a copy righted video or not???? Is it correct to say..a copy right must be applied for and granted like a Patent or Trademark?
    Short answers:

If you created the image / video / copy (text), your ownership is automatically created and protected.

You do NOT have to register a copyright. However, if you intend to assert your rights strongly (like for a book, audio recording, video recording, etc.), having a registered copyright makes for a stronger case to recover DAMAGES. (The same goes for trademarks, for the most part.)

But, for example... I post a photo that ***I MADE*** on social media. If I made the photo, it's mine. All mine. It does NOT grant the free use of it to anyone and everyone. Now, I may not care if anyone else uses it. But, if I DO care, then the smart thing to do is at least take some measures to protect it, including a copyright watermark. If I really, REALLY care, then I probably wouldn't post it willy-nilly on the internet without strong protections implemented.

But, the bottom line is that an image's (or video or text copy) existence on the internet does not grant free use. Copyright is assumed to be held by the creator of the IP.
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Quote Originally Posted by racer88 View Post
    Short answers:

If you created the image / video / copy (text), your ownership is automatically created and protected.

You do NOT have to register a copyright. However, if you intend to assert your rights strongly (like for a book, audio recording, video recording, etc.), having a registered copyright makes for a stronger case to recover DAMAGES. (The same goes for trademarks, for the most part.)

But, for example... I post a photo that ***I MADE*** on social media. If I made the photo, it's mine. All mine. It does NOT grant the free use of it to anyone and everyone. Now, I may not care if anyone else uses it. But, if I DO care, then the smart thing to do is at least take some measures to protect it, including a copyright watermark. If I really, REALLY care, then I probably wouldn't post it willy-nilly on the internet without strong protections implemented.

But, the bottom line is that an image's (or video or text copy) existence on the internet does not grant free use. Copyright is assumed to be held by the creator of the IP.
    So a picture you post on Facebook, someone takes that picture and make a meme out of it...you can actually sue them? wow...did not know that.
    NRA Member
    FBI & NIS Live action qualification course
    Range Officer/Safe Shooter Course -GTR
    USN Expert pistol Award
    USN Fleet Competitive Pistol Team / Representative of 8th Naval District
    USN Rifle Marksman

Short answers:

If you created the image / video / copy (text), your ownership is automatically created and protected....
    I may be wrong, but I believe you must still assert the Copyright via a mark.
    The requirement was: The word "Copyright", or the little C in a circle, the owner, and the date.

Now, you don't have to actually register the Copyright (the copyright is automatic when marked).
    But as correctly noted, you can't bring an action for damages without registration at the USPTO.
    I don't know whether you can bring an action for non-money damages (such as an injunction against use), without registration? Maybe?

But maybe the laws have changed.
    I haven't filed a Copyright in probably 15 years.

BTW: A copyright just gives the owner affirmative rights to prevent others from making copies of the work.
    You still have to assert and defend those rights. (That sentiment sounds vaguely familiar on a Pro-2A board such as this!)

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1950 View Post
    So a picture you post on Facebook, someone takes that picture and make a meme out of it...you can actually sue them? wow...did not know that.
    Yes, you can sue them, but probably not under the federal copyright laws.
    I am not a lawyer.

That said, a meme could be considered a derivative work, and would not be actionable even under copyright law.

Of all the intellectual property, to me, Copyrights seem to be the weakest, and toughest to enforce.
    Things like Patents, Trademarks, and Trade Secrets seem to have more teeth.
    But of course, items that qualify for a Copyright are almost certainly ineligible (by rule) for those other protections.

And it's worth a quick mention that a registered Copyright is the easiest and least expensive IP. (while acknowledging it's apples and oranges)
    Something like $65, if I recall correctly. Like I said, been a while.

Short answers:

But, for example... I post a photo that ***I MADE*** on social media. If I made the photo, it's mine. All mine. It does NOT grant the free use of it to anyone and everyone. ....
    A qualified "maybe"!
    Some hosting sites will assert an automatic copyright interest in everything you post. (Read the fine print.)
    I suppose they do this to deflect frivolous lawsuits against them.
    And as a practical matter, the issue is rarely an actual issue.

My only point is: Depending on where you post, you may be automatically giving up rights and not even know it.
    (Reminder to self: Maybe I should read the fine print on THIS forum site?)

Quote Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
    A qualified "maybe"!
    Some hosting sites will assert an automatic copyright interest in everything you post. (Read the fine print.)
    I suppose they do this to deflect frivolous lawsuits against them.
    And as a practical matter, the issue is rarely an actual issue.

My only point is: Depending on where you post, you may be automatically giving up rights and not even know it.
    (Reminder to self: Maybe I should read the fine print on THIS forum site?)
    Citation / reference? To my knowledge there is no such surrender (and I contend could be easily defeated in court). In fact, there has been a LONG-running hoax that makes regular appearances on Facebook about that very thing.... that FB owns your photos that you post. False.

But, yeah... as a practical matter, not an issue. If there was any such valuable material, a person with a modicum of prudence wouldn't post it publicly in the first place.

I pretty much agree with everything you've posted - based on my own research over the years.
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Sposors