Shoot Straight/Florida Gun Shows not our pals
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shoot Straight/Florida Gun Shows not our pals

Shoot Straight/Florida Gun Shows not our pals

The promoter, Florida Gun Shows (Shoot Straight), has decided to ban private gun sales at all their shows. Calls were made to vendors (8/16/19) telling them that only licensed gun dealers will be able to buy guns from patrons and sell guns at their shows. That means background check, waiting period if you don't have a carry permit, paperwork and inflated costs. It also means selling to licensed dealers who are looking for a markup so the price you get will be reduced.

The reason for this is simple: the margin on new gun sales is low, maybe less than 10%. On used guns it is 50% or more. Khalid, the owner, hopes to drive the small sellers away so that he can take up the slack.

This is certainly his right but it is an unacceptable assault on our ability to buy and sell and, thus, shows his disdain for the Second Amendment and for Florida gun owners (who have made him a wealthy man, BTW). Also, when you go to these shows it will be like going to a gun store rather than a true marketplace.

We should avoid all shows put on by Florida Gun Shows and boycott their brick and mortar stores which do business as Shoot Straight. Patronize Patriot Productions, 2 Guys Shows and the other promoters in Florida that show a bit of concern for the gun owning and buying public.

I think that we are under assault from many quarters, having a person like Khalid, who depends upon us for his livelihood, to not have our backs is despicable.

Quote Originally Posted by EdinMyakka View Post
    when you go to these shows it will be like going to a gun store
    Every gun show that I've ever been to is pretty much like going to a gun store. Private sellers are extremely rare in my experience.

That said... private sales can still happen in the parking lot, eh?
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

This is not the first time shoot strait has worked against gun owners. One of their managers said gun owners were not trained enough to open carry on TV news before a FL house vote on open carry.
    Florida CWFL Member NRA , Florida Carry

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    I suspect there's a little more to Shoot Straight's policy change for their shows affecting private firearms sales than indicated here.
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

I have 2 guns I want to sell, sold the pistol twice on gunbroker (bad check 1st, then new guy changed mind) so gave up on GB, but no way I'm going to sell for 1/2 price. Shoot strait is my least favorite gun store.
    Florida CWFL Member NRA , Florida Carry

We were a dealer at their shows for 4 or 5 years. No real problems. Thing that bugs me is that we have enough static from the left without a guy who has made a fortune from us acting as though he were Mike Bloomberg.

Very annoying. Fortunately there are alternatives.

I've had good experience with SS. I've bought several guns from them.
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Distinguished Member deadeyedick's Avatar
    I've been of the opinion that Khalid was a douchebag from the first time I saw him riding his Segway at a gun show.

He is no true friend of the 2A; everything he does is calculated to line his pocket...as is his right. I've purchased several guns, both new and used, from his tables. But I'll only do business with him if it is advantageous to me to do so.

The internet has largely rendered gun shows unnecessary anyway; all the hard-to-find items that shoppers used to go searching for at gun shows can now be found online.
    "It's Fumbles...it was always Fumbles."

Dr. Calvin "Fumbles" Killshot

Quote Originally Posted by deadeyedick View Post
    I've been of the opinion that Khalid was a douchebag from the first time I saw him riding his Segway at a gun show.

He is no true friend of the 2A; everything he does is calculated to line his pocket...as is his right. I've purchased several guns, both new and used, from his tables. But I'll only do business with him if it is advantageous to me to do so.

The internet has largely rendered gun shows unnecessary anyway; all the hard-to-find items that shoppers used to go searching for at gun shows can now be found online.
    I see gun shows as primarily a place for newbies to buy guns. There's nothing "new" there, and the prices are usually HIGH. But, newbies don't know any better. I used to be one! Ammo is ALWAYS over-priced there in my experience.

If you know what you're looking for, and you know what the price SHOULD be, you MIGHT find a deal at a show. But, mostly... it's just an extension of retail brick-'n-mortar stores showing their wares under the guise of "better gun show deals" (again targeting newbies). I'd rather just go to their store front on a regular day... not pay to get in.... and not deal with the crowds.
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinMyakka View Post
    We were a dealer at their shows for 4 or 5 years. No real problems. Thing that bugs me is that we have enough static from the left without a guy who has made a fortune from us acting as though he were Mike Bloomberg.

Very annoying. Fortunately there are alternatives.
    Completely understandable and you're not the first to highlight annoying issues with how Shoot Straight run its shows. Its been a few years since the last thread on the subject, though.
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Sposors