Florida Man Found Guilty Of Manslaughter Despite 'Stand Your Ground' Defense - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Florida Man Found Guilty Of Manslaughter Despite 'Stand Your Ground' Defense

I personally think it was not a case of self defense. I think he was rightfully convicted.

He was a fool that went looking for a problem and found one.
    Anyone interested in the 80's TV show Miami Vice? If so click here --->Miamiviceonline.com

The largest Miami Vice web site on the planet dedicated to all things Vice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gZXHwCWPY8 >>>>This shows the real reason the jury convicted him had nothing to do with SYG. Markeis McGlockton did actually step backward once Drejka pulled his firearm and pointed it at McGlockton. Seeing the gun, McFlockton did not advance to attempt to cause addition harm or pose a deadly threat to Drejka. The jury therefore determined an unarmed man was shoot by a person using a deadly weapon without cause.
    NRA Member
    FBI & NIS Live action qualification course
    Range Officer/Safe Shooter Course -GTR
    USN Expert pistol Award
    USN Fleet Competitive Pistol Team / Representative of 8th Naval District
    USN Rifle Marksman

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

The woman was guilty of parking in a handicapped zone. A parking ticket.
    The dead man was guilty of aggravated assault and battery, a felony. He was also under the influence of ecstasy.
    His record included felony domestic battery charges that were dropped and convictions for drug possession and sale, and resisting an officer with violence.
    This was a scary violent dude. Did he deserve to die? Probably not. Should he have still been in prison? Maybe.

So as a matter of curiosity, did the judge allow accounts of Drejka's previous encounters to be introduced at trial?
    Steve
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mike_1950 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gZXHwCWPY8 >>>>This shows the real reason the jury convicted him had nothing to do with SYG. Markeis McGlockton did actually step backward once Drejka pulled his firearm and pointed it at McGlockton. Seeing the gun, McFlockton did not advance to attempt to cause addition harm or pose a deadly threat to Drejka. The jury therefore determined an unarmed man was shoot by a person using a deadly weapon without cause.
    And while the jury may be correct, who in their right mind in the heat of the moment has the ability to process split second movements like that and make a fire/don't fire decision with adrenaline running?

Ultimately I think it comes down to the old phrase "An armed society is a polite society."

Quote Originally Posted by jackhinson View Post
    And while the jury may be correct, who in their right mind in the heat of the moment has the ability to process split second movements like that and make a fire/don't fire decision with adrenaline running?

Ultimately I think it comes down to the old phrase "An armed society is a polite society."
    And a persons decision to carry a firearm makes them face the consequences of their actions if they use that firearm. We hold LEO to be able to make a split second decision in using their weapon...we have to hold ourselves to ensuring we' re doing the correct thing. If we make a judgement to use a firearm, we are responsible to face a jury of our peers to find if we were correct or at fault. Sometimes we are correctly judged some times we get screwed. 20 people can view the same video of a shooting, and odds are you will not get an unanimous agreement on what happened. In today's society being armed has nothing to do with being polite. Polite is fast becoming a forgotten word and a forgotten way of human nature.
    NRA Member
    FBI & NIS Live action qualification course
    Range Officer/Safe Shooter Course -GTR
    USN Expert pistol Award
    USN Fleet Competitive Pistol Team / Representative of 8th Naval District
    USN Rifle Marksman

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie948 View Post
    Just what was the guy flat on his back supposed to do????????
    I know it all started with him and his starting the event but he was flat down and could "NOT" run or do anything but Shoot the guy that may have kicked him to death.

He was not even approached after he got shoved. Pull it, fine, use it like he did, you've not met the criteria for deadly force use.

Was he supposed to just let it happen????
    I always said it looked like SELF DEFENSE and "NOT" a STAND your GROUND ((( look back on all my other threads about this))))
    I hold to the Don't shoot anybody if you do not want to get railroaded into a crime you did not commit.
    Justice was not served in this case at all.
    Ronnie
    It was, he was NOT in imminent danger of grave bodily harm or death when he fired. The jury determine the correct verdict.

Tell me sir, in the same scenario, you'd have shot him?
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Quote Originally Posted by jackhinson View Post

Me, several times. And a few times, the trigger was pulled. However, I've never been charged with murder so apparently those split second decisions can be made correctly. His problem likely stems from not knowing the law of deadly force use to begin with.
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

It was, he was NOT in imminent danger of grave bodily harm or death when he fired.
    I'm pretty sure that things happened really fast and the guy laying on his back had "NO" idea what the guy would do next, He already assaulted the guy.
    Personally, The shooter should "NOT" have confronted the guy in the first place. He is "NOT" the Parking POLICE.
    Ronnie
    N.R.A. - FLORIDA CARRY - D.A.V. - American Legion - M.C.A.--- U.S. Army disabled Veteran, GOA
    If you are not a member of the N.R.A. - It is time to join - Turn 5 million members into 15 or 20 million members
    If your not a member of FLORIDA CARRY it is time to join.

Sposors