The Annual Sturgis Run

Thread: The Annual Sturgis Run

The Annual Sturgis Run

Hmm, can't believe I haven't made a post on this in the last 10 years I've been making the run!

But the bottom line is that you need to do Sturgis at least once before you pack it up and buy a second mini-van.

There's no need to do "everything" at Sturgis, just a few of the highlights will carry you until your next trip. My riding buddy and myself have hit all of the major venues there, but not in the same trip. Now we basically hit Sturgis on the return trip from where we've been over the previous few weeks. One day downtown will hold you once you've done all the things around town over the years.

One of the things that even multi-year, jaded Sturgis riders really appreciate is the weekly "training sortie" from the local Air Force base when they drag a B-1 bomber on a low pass over the town.

Well, that's a poor description. They run a B-1 bomber down Lazelle street doing about 400 knots, full afterburner and low enough to set off pretty much every car and bike alarm in the city. It is an amazing sight and the sound is incredible.

If anyone ever wonders if bikers are patriots, you should see the jumping and hollering in the streets when that plane blasts down the highway. Simply spectacular for sure.

Of course the usual collection of bars, babes, trinkets, food and local places to see are in full display. Deadwood, Custer, Rushmore, Crazy Horse and a few dozen others will make the ride more than worth it.

And don't forget the incredible riding and scenery of the Badlands. Truly something to see.

Montana and Wyoming (and Nebraska) all have 80 mph speeds so the long stretches of road don't dull your mind too much.

This year's run for me had me running Punta Gorda, FL to Slidell, LA. Next day ran to Dallas to meet up with my riding partner from Indiana. Visited with some old friends and headed out to Albuquerque, NM for a day or so. Up into Utah and into Glacier Nat'l Park for the "Run to the Sun" highway, which we've been trying to nail down for several years. Spectacular road and scenery, when it's open and hasn't killed anyone in a day or so.

We had the same problem with the Beartooth Pass for several years, but as a motorcycle road, it had to be taken sooner or later and we got it last year.

Kalispell Montana had us meeting up with a guy we both hadn't seen in 25 years. It was worth the run. A two day run from there into Sturgis and we were on the back side of the trip.

When we headed east out of Sturgis, we split at Sioux City as my buddy rode south and I continued on the Minneapolis to see my lady in her summer condo. A week later had me headed back home on the three day run from Minny.

Had no problems with weather, other than the 100+ heat in Texas and New Mexico and managed to miss all the rain until that mess up in the northern part of the state on Friday.

A good trip. About 7000 miles this year.

Oh yeah, I open carried the entire trip, of course. No problems with it anywhere, even in those expensive restaurants the lady likes to go to. Only had one person actually ask me about the sidearm. They asked if it was a 9mm. I politely told them it was a 45 and that I didn't think they even allowed 9mm in Texas!

There are plenty of campsites near Sturgis. It's what they do out there. Better if you know a friend 25 miles away that you can stay with!

AD
    NRA Life Member - NRA Certified Instructor
    Viet-Nam Helicopter Pilots Assn Life Member
    ABATE and AMA Life Member
    ICORE / IDPA / USPSA carry gun shooter (and friendly Safety Officer)
    Full time Open Carry advocate
    Certified Glock Armorer

You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.

Super Moderator
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Distinguished Member Riverpigusmc's Avatar
    nekked girls...what's not to like? Sold my Harley to buy bare heads for the Late Model, sadly
    "All civilians are targets or dependants" Drill Instructor Boone, Parris Island

I don't own the clothes I'm wearing..and the road goes on forever..
    NRA Life Member
    Florida Carry Member
    Wilson Combat CQB, Kimber Tactical Pro, S&W J frame

COTEP #523
    Founding Member

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Nice report, thanks for sharing. Pictures?
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking..

Stay Sharp

Brownie

Distinguished Member LittleGator's Avatar
    Great road trip. What are you riding?
    NRA member
    NRA - RSO
    COTEP #750

"The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. " -Dr. Adrian Pierce Rogers

My current ride is the 2014 BMW R1200RT. It has 90,000+ miles on it which means I'll probably be getting a new one next year. I generally run my bikes 100,000 miles and then get another one just like it. Most of the time it's even the same color. Go figure.

Anyway, here's a few photos from out there this year.

This is what you get to see for hours at a time once you get east of the Mississippi river.

Of course fine dining is always important.

And Glacier National Park is not to be missed if you're out that way. Especially if the road is actually open when you're there. We've been trying for several years to make that and got it this year.

Basically it's like any other big bike rally except it's in the middle of nowhere. Sometimes that's a good thing. Also, it's a much older crowd that what you see at Daytona Bike Week.

Oh yeah, expect a LOT of weird bugs in Nebraska and Iowa if it hasn't rained for a bit. One year we had grasshoppers so thick they coated the wheels like oatmeal. Ugh.

AD
    NRA Life Member - NRA Certified Instructor
    Viet-Nam Helicopter Pilots Assn Life Member
    ABATE and AMA Life Member
    ICORE / IDPA / USPSA carry gun shooter (and friendly Safety Officer)
    Full time Open Carry advocate
    Certified Glock Armorer

You only have the rights you are willing to fight for.

Sposors