Nice Hi Power clone - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Nice Hi Power clone

There are 2 reviews of this firearm in American Rifleman. The first, and more detailed review is an online only review from October 2018 by Andrew Butts http://https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/10/23/tested-tisas-regent-br9-hi-power-pistol/

The 2nd shorter review of the same firearm is in the August 2019 American Rifleman.
    Last edited by Marilyn; 08-13-2019 at 09:33 PM.

The October 2018 American Rifleman review describes the problems I noted, and the August 2019 review calls it reliable and accurate. Same publication, 2 different writers and probably 2 different sample pistols... I would guess that there would be limited, if any, production changes from October to the time the August issue was prepared. It is interesting that the reviewers don’t really agree, especially in the same publication.
    Last edited by Marilyn; 08-13-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Keep an eye out on the surplus market, there are small batches of surplus Hi Powers popping up for sale here and there. The prices are not bad either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _

**FIGHT WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE FLYING**

COTEP 717

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marilyn View Post
    The October 2018 American Rifleman review describes the problems I noted, and the August 2019 review calls it reliable and accurate. Same publication, 2 different writers and probably 2 different sample pistols... I would guess that there would be limited, if any, production changes from October to the time the August issue was prepared. It is interesting that the reviewers don’t really agree, especially in the same publication.
    The earlier article states that the manufacturer had made changes to the firing pin retaining plate to eliminate the problem. It also states that the nabufacturer would handle any extractor issues under warranty, although it appears those may have resulted in a design change as well, since there were no extraction problems noted in the second review. As a mechanical engineer, I found it interesting that the clone was heat treated to a higher Rockwell c hardness than was the original Browning pistol, which bodes well for the clone’s long term performance. I also thought it interesting that rhe overall fit of the pistol was tighter than the original. In some pistols, tight tolerances can result in break in issues, but since none were noted in the second review, it appears the manufacturer has struck the right balance. As manufacturers often make changes in response to problems which surface in early production (the SIG P365 provides a recent example) it is unsurprising that the later test revealed no issues. I think it is a very positive indication of the editorial integrity of the American Rifleman that it would publish a second review which comes to a different conclusion in regard to reliability than did its original review.
    Last edited by ArthurDent; 08-14-2019 at 07:39 AM.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." A. E. van Vogt

Quote Originally Posted by Caleb View Post
    Keep an eye out on the surplus market, there are small batches of surplus Hi Powers popping up for sale here and there. The prices are not bad either.

That is where I got mine. I enjoy shooting it except for the hammer bite.
    To speak without thinking is to shoot without aiming.

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.”

https://www.thethreepercenters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AFJuvat View Post
    That is where I got mine. I enjoy shooting it except for the hammer bite.
    Several companies can add an extended beaver tail to your existing pistol, you would just have to refinish it afterwards. Personally, I don’t like the look of it but, it’s more for meaty hands that get bit.

__________________________________________________ _

**FIGHT WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE FLYING**

COTEP 717

Sposors