Just retired - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just retired

Quote Originally Posted by carl730 View Post
    Hi all, I'm still living in IL but have a condo in Siesta Key. I retired but my wife is still working so I'm hoping to travel to FL as often as possible. I was a gaugemaker/machinist. I have been shooting all my life, mostly pistols but a little rifle and shotguns too. I also have been a handloader all my life also and even used to cast my own bullets. I've noticed the last time down there that there were a lot of gun shops in Sarasota and quite a few had ranges. I'm looking forward to checking them out. Back here, in a town of 150,000 we only have 2 gun shops left. I kind of like shooting outdoors so if anyone knows of places to shoot outside near Sarasota, let me know.
    Hello,

You may want to look at Manatee Gun & Archery Club, they have a large outdoor rage near the Sarasota. It is near Myakka City. A nice thing is that you can use the range as a non member by paying for a days membership (gives you a chance to try the place out before joining) or you can become a member. I am not a member but have seen the place and it is good size and a lot of different ranges. Also near you is Lakeland Fl and the have a pretty large gun show for older guns a couple times a year. The Lakeland show can be fun it can have 1000+ tables and is held at the Fun & Sun airport, so there is a lot of free airplane eyecandy of you are into that.
    Last edited by indy1919a4; 08-09-2019 at 02:31 AM.

Distinguished Member
    Welcome from Ocala!
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." A. E. van Vogt

Welcome from Weeki Wachee!

We have a nice outdoor rang, The Hernando Sportsman’s Club, but it’s a bit of a long haul from Siesta Key (as are Myakka City and Lakeland).

FYI: Myakka City is NOT a city, it’s in the middle of nowhere in DeSoto County.
    Rick

"Sights are for the unenlightened."

http://www.guntipsandtalk.com/

IDPA Certified Safety Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Welcome aboard. Spent ten years in Chicago and NW Burbs. Congratulations on your retirement, we live in Tampa and love Siesta Key, talk about rubbing it in on your first post. This is a fantastic board, hope you will be a regular poster and participant you definitely get more than you put in here.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyvco View Post
    Welcome, look up Knights Trail. Has pistol, rifle & right next door is a Sarasota Trap & Skeet that also has two sporting clay courses.
    That looks good, and not too far away. Is that a club you join or do you pay per day/ hour?

Quote Originally Posted by indy1919a4 View Post
    Hello,

You may want to look at Manatee Gun & Archery Club, they have a large outdoor rage near the Sarasota. It is near Myakka City. A nice thing is that you can use the range as a non member by paying for a days membership (gives you a chance to try the place out before joining) or you can become a member. I am not a member but have seen the place and it is good size and a lot of different ranges. Also near you is Lakeland Fl and the have a pretty large gun show for older guns a couple times a year. The Lakeland show can be fun it can have 1000+ tables and is held at the Fun & Sun airport, so there is a lot of free airplane eyecandy of you are into that.
    Wow, another nice looking club to try out, thanks for the info. I also love going to gun shows but being an IL resident still I'll be pretty disappointed if I find something good and can't buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by carl730 View Post
    That looks good, and not too far away. Is that a club you join or do you pay per day/ hour?
    Both, you can go as member or non member. They also do night shoots, which is pretty cool, don’t forget Skeeter spray!! They hold professional shoots that have all the custom stock makers & in ear hearing protection makers, banquets, instructors, have a full pro shop, rent shotguns, have a board of guns for sale from a few hundred to several grand for some of the fancy shotguns, etc. All & all a shotgunners paradise! I used to take partial payments in trap time for trade working on their Security & CCTV Systems. 99% of the people are very cool. The previous statement was pertaining to the Sarasota Trap & Skeet. Night’s Trail is a County shooting range from 5-100 yds. for pistol, rifle, & shotgun with single projectile. There are pretty strict RSO’s @ Nights Trail & they do a pretty good job of keeping idiots from being idiots & have no qualms bootin them out. SSO’s private police only range is right next door, some pretty cool sounds come outta there when they have training going on! There’s also a walk through 3D Archery course out there & they do shoots also. A very cool place with a lot of nice people, I can’t believe the liberal Jackwads aren’t petitioning daily to shut it down cause, you have to be a total baby killing MONSTER to have anything to do with guns don’t you??? Anyway, GREAT PLACE & it’s right off the interstate for easy access too.
    Last edited by joeyvco; 08-16-2019 at 03:37 AM.

Welcome from Sarasota
    LIFE MEMBER DISABLED AMERICAN VETERANS
    Veterans Helping Veterans
    For help with Veterans Claims. : http://www.dav.org/veterans/find-your-local-office/

Sposors