2020 Ballot initiative to ban "Assault Weapons" - progress tracking - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: 2020 Ballot initiative to ban "Assault Weapons" - progress tracking

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/pol...239875833.html

But it was met with stiff resistance by the National Rifle Association and Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody, who said the amendment was “deceitful and misleading.”
    She said last year that the amendment was too broad and would have made illegal many weapons that some people would not consider an “assault weapon.”

“It is so far-reaching and misleading, it would also include guns like the gun my grandfather gave my father and his brother when they were 9 and 10, 60 years ago,” she said in August.
    The language in the amendment was crafted with the help of a lifelong NRA member, who told the Times/Herald last year that Moody’s interpretation is “complete nonsense.”
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

I have several comments for that but sadly none of them are printable here.

Oh, by the way I'd love to have the name of that "lifelong NRA member", if it really was one which I doubt we will need to expand the RINO title to "NRAINO"
    Last edited by flphotog; 02-02-2020 at 12:24 PM.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War: He will win who has military Capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign.

Member: COTEP 772, NRA, GOA, Florida Carry

Quote Originally Posted by flphotog View Post
    I have several comments for that but sadly none of them are printable here.

Oh, by the way I'd love to have the name of that "lifelong NRA member", if it really was one which I doubt we will need to expand the RINO title to "NRAINO"
    Same here! SCROOM!!!
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

They are like Samara Morgan: She never sleeps, she never stops.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The+Ring+-+Child+Samara+Morgan+Screenshot+2.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	65899

The question is can we counter their pressure indefinitely because they will not let up.

The only possible counter is a constitutional amendment that is worded to preclude things like the latest asshattery and vigorous enforcement of the preemption clause. And, need I say it, a repudiation of companies that do not stand strongly for the second amendment.

ETA. and remember that the demographics are against us.
    Benefactor member NRA, Life Member Ordnance Society (U.K.), Life Member Second Amendment Foundation, Member Gun Owners of America

Dog Faced Pony Soldier First Class!!!!

Distinguished Member TitleIIToyLover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by EdinMyakka View Post

The question is can we counter their pressure indefinitely because they will not let up.

The only possible counter is a constitutional amendment that is worded to preclude things like the latest asshattery and vigorous enforcement of the preemption clause. And, need I say it, a repudiation of companies that do not stand strongly for the second amendment.

Maybe we should draft our own constitutional amendment to protect our right to bear arms.

We could word it something like this...

SECTION 8. Right to bear arms.—(a) The right of the people to keep and bear arms in defense of themselves and of the lawful authority of the state shall not be infringed
    There are only 3 colors, 10 digits, and 7 notes; it's how we arrange them that is important.

Nope. Disagree. We have our amendment, already. And, not only is it clear on its face, the intent is made even more clear with the VAST evidence in the form of the Federalist Papers, letters, and speeches that led to the ratification of the 2nd Amendment in 1791.

That they DISTORT the meaning is THEIR problem. They can distort and try to subvert the 2A all they want. To REMOVE the EXISTING Constitutional protection for our RKBA, THEY must amend the Constitution. In the words of the sage BeerHunter.... SCROOM. We don't need to amend the Constitution to affirm the Rights already enumerated as protected from government infringement. We don't need to make something already legal... "legaler."

We don't need to prove or justify our RKBA. They must justify its denial. Of course, they can't do that. Amending the Constitution is VERY difficult, and for good reason.

When I did my interview with CNBC, the reporter asked me, "Why should you be able to have an AR-15?" I replied, "Why shouldn't I?" In our FREE country, we don't need to affirmatively prove our innocence or how we merit our Freedoms. Those who would deny us our Freedoms MUST PROVE / justify the DENIAL of our Rights. I don't need to prove or justify why I can own an AR-15. Those who would take it must be the ones making the legal (and Constitutional) justification. The burden of proof is on them.

The anti-2A faction can persist all they want. It worries me not one whit. Truly. I HAVE the RKBA. I already HAVE it. I was born with it. We all were. It's a NATURAL Right that was enumerated as protected in the Bill of Rights (among others that are equally important). It's effectively written in stone. The bar to change or eliminate it is HIGH, and for good reason. It's by design that amending the Constitution is very difficult. That difficult process is our bulwark against infringement.

So, they can bring up whichever opposition they want. They can scream. They can rant. They can spin. They can cry. They can invoke "the children." Doesn't matter. We need only point to the Constitution. "Don't like the 2A? Amend the Constitution. Until then... SCROOM!"

To engage in the exercise (futile as it is) of justifying and proving why the INFRINGERS are wrong is to tacitly endorse and validate THEIR position as worthy of debate. There is no debate! They must prove us wrong, which they can't, of course. Again... we need only to point at the 2A, just as we would point at the 1A if someone was trying to deny our Right to Free Speech.

Those of us who took an oath to support and defend the Constitution against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic... have the ultimate defense against the deniers (to use their parlance). We have the Constitution to back us up legally, AND we have made a COMMITMENT up to putting our VERY LIVES on the line in defense of the Constitution. Would the deniers and anti-2A folks be willing to put THEIR lives on the line? While I think the answer is self-evident, they should know that we HAVE AND WILL.
    Last edited by racer88; 02-27-2020 at 08:24 PM.
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

That they DISTORT the meaning is THEIR problem.
    Not really. It is our problem and if it is not defended it will go away.

As Voltaire said "to the wicked everything serves as pretext". Who would have thought that the Interstate Commerce Clause could be tortured to accrue so much power to the central government? Who would have thought, who actually thinks, today, that we have a fourth amendment? And the FISA Court? The secrecy of such a thing reeks and yet it is "constitutional". With the rule making ability of the FTC, the ICC, OSHA, DHHS a leftie controlled congress with a leftie president could put us all out of business in a month. And with no new laws. And fighting it would occupy a lifetime and more money than one can imagine. If the wealth and power of the sate are arrayed against you you loose. Hard stop.

So pardon me if I am not as sanguine as you.

Complacency based on the wording of the Constitution is the height of danger.

Just my 2p.
    Benefactor member NRA, Life Member Ordnance Society (U.K.), Life Member Second Amendment Foundation, Member Gun Owners of America

Dog Faced Pony Soldier First Class!!!!

Not really. It is our problem and if it is not defended it will go away.

As Voltaire said "to the wicked everything serves as pretext". Who would have thought that the Interstate Commerce Clause could be tortured to accrue so much power to the central government? Who would have thought, who actually thinks, today, that we have a fourth amendment? And the FISA Court? The secrecy of such a thing reeks and yet it is "constitutional". With the rule making ability of the FTC, the ICC, OSHA, DHHS a leftie controlled congress with a leftie president could put us all out of business in a month. And with no new laws. And fighting it would occupy a lifetime and more money than one can imagine. If the wealth and power of the sate are arrayed against you you loose. Hard stop.

So pardon me if I am not as sanguine as you.

Complacency based on the wording of the Constitution is the height of danger.

Just my 2p.
    Sure... we can defend it, and we should always be vigilant. But, we have no case to "prove." We don't need another amendment to affirm our RKBA. That seemed to be your suggestion in the previous comment. We already have the only amendment we need.

As I understand it, the FISA court is being challenged on a constitutional basis. So, yeah... sometimes it takes a lot of TIME to defend our Rights legally in court.

So, yeah... we may have to challenge them in court. But, in the end, we have the ultimate defense in our hands... literally. We also have the simple act of non-compliance, which has already been done many times. Molon labe! Really. Not just a platitude. The real deal.

In NY, the compliance with registration of so-called "assault weapons" (SAFE Act) has been 4 - 6%. That means there are an estimated 1 million people with a felony in their safes in NY, alone. Nobody has been arrested for that as a primary offense.

In CT, a similar registration law has about a 12% compliance rate. No enforcement has been implemented.

In NJ, a ban on magazines has resulted in ZERO compliance. Not a single one was turned in. ZERO! LOL! Nobody going door-to-door confiscating magazines in NJ.

In MA, they passed a law banning bump stocks with a penalty up to LIFE IN PRISON. Think about that... life in prison for a piece of inert plastic. Last report I saw, they had FOUR turned in. FOUR! Do you think there were only four of them in the state?
    Last edited by racer88; 02-27-2020 at 10:01 PM.
    NRA Life Member

"Dances with guns."

Thank's Brian for keeping us updated I'm sure this won't be the last.
    Florida CWFL Member NRA

Distinguished Member
    Thanks, Brian! It was a lot of work on your part to track this over many months and I really appreciate all the effort you put into it. Thanks also to the Florida Legislature and Governor for making it much more difficult for a bunch of outside carpetbaggers to come in and foist their unconstitutional vision on a mostly unsuspecting public.
    "The right to buy weapons is the right to be free." A. E. van Vogt

Sposors