Dan Wesson Vigil CCO 1911

Thread: Dan Wesson Vigil CCO 1911

Dan Wesson Vigil CCO 1911

I just picked up my Dan Wesson Vigil CCO 1911 in .45 ACP. The Dan Wesson CCO 1911 has been on my wish list for at least ten years and when I found out about the Vigil CCO, I had to get it. When I field stripped it at my FFL, I couldn’t get the bushing to release from the frame. I thought it was strange and that was confirmed when I got it home. It took some doing to get it to release and even more to get it back in. Maybe it will loosen up after a couple hundred rounds. Other than that, the fit was very tight and the finish was beautiful. I did notice that the barrel was ramped, which is strange for a .45 ACP. I can see the need for it on a 9mm or .38 Super, but not on a .45 ACP. The front sight is a tritium night sight with a white circle around it. The rear sight is a no-dot combat sight. I took the DW grips off and put on some older ones that I had in my parts drawer. I didn’t do this because I prefer them over the DW grips, but to keep the original grips in good condition.

If the weather cooperates, I will have a range report soon.

Specs from Dan Wesson:

Model: Vigil CCO
    Caliber: .45 ACP
    Magazine Capacity: 7
    Frame Material: Forged Aluminum
    Slide Finish: Duty Finish
    Grips: Wood
    Overall Length: 7.9 in
    Barrel Length: 4.25
    Width: 1.45 in
    Weight: 29.5 oz
    Trigger Mech: Single Action
    Front Sight: Fixed Night Sight
    Rear Sight: Tactical Rear Sight
    Safety: Manual thumb safety, grip safety

Garry

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DWVL.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	15.1 KB 
ID:	63485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DWVR.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	14.4 KB 
ID:	63487Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DWV1L.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	63489Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DWV1R.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	63491
    US Navy, Retired
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO
    NRA Certified Pistol Instructor

There is no such thing as "overkill" - only "open fire" and "I need to reload."

My favorite 1911 platform, CCO! Beautiful looking pistol, congratulations. Can’t wait for the RR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    __________________________________________________ _

**FIGHT WHEN YOU FEEL LIKE FLYING**

COTEP 717

Nice. Good luck with that.
    Anyone interested in the 80's TV show Miami Vice? If so click here --->Miamiviceonline.com

The largest Miami Vice web site on the planet dedicated to all things Vice!

4. Remove Advertisements
    FloridaConcealedCarry.com
    Advertisements

Super Moderator
    Beautiful pistola and awesome pickup!
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Droooling all over my key board...that is really nice. ebl
    "I have a very strict gun control policy. If there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it." Clint Eastwood
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them." Unknown

They make a great 1911, I'm afraid to visit their websight, great pick up!
    Florida CWFL Member NRA , Florida Carry

Dan Wesson Vigil CCO Range Report

I went to the range this morning even though the temperature was going to be in the 90’s with the heat index reaching 103-111. I figured I could at least check my new Dan Wesson Vigil CCO for function if not accuracy, which is exactly what I wound up doing. At my age, heat is not your friend.

I set up an 8” steel plate and a few targets at 12 yards. I figured I would fire 100 rounds at the plate to loosen the DW up. The problem was that, with the heat and my age, I was worn out after 100 rounds and couldn't really do any conclusive accuracy tests. I do know that, for me, it shoots low at 12 yards. There were no malfunctions that I could attribute to the gun, but I did have one very peculiar magazine issue. I had four 7-round magazines and two 8-rounders. Two of the 7- rounders were the DW ones that came with the gun and two were Wilson Combats that I’ve had for years. The two 8-rounders are so old that I don’t know or if I ever knew who made them. All functioned flawlessly for the first two sets(a set being one firing of all full magazines or 44 rounds). On the third set, with one of the Wilson Combat magazines, the first round fired and the second—click!-nothing. Upon checking the gun, I noticed the magazine was not fully seated. Thinking this was human error, I re-seated the magazine and racked the slide and the magazine unseated itself. I tried this a few more times with the magazine and chamber empty with the same result. Every time the slide went into lockup, the magazine unseated and dropped about 1/2”. Needless to say this magazine is out of the rotation until I figure out why it is doing this.

Other than the magazine problem, there were no malfunctions in all 172 rounds I fired today. 150 were Winchester white box ball target and 22 were some old Federal Hydra-Shoks that I do not use since I switched to Federal HSTs. Next range trip, I will start with accuracy testing and post the results here.

Garry
    US Navy, Retired
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Very nice. There is just something special about a 1911, and if you are going to carry one a LW CCO is hard to beat!
    Chose a weapon that goes BANG every time!

Dan Wesson Vigil CCO Range Report 2

I went back to the range this morning to do some accuracy testing of my Dan Wesson Vigil CCO in .45ACP. The weather was much more cooperative at 75-81 degrees with the heat index only getting up to 87. The first 49 rounds on 4 targets were Winchester white box 230gr ball target loads. I then tried two of my own target reloads on the next 4 targets. All targets were placed at 12 yards.

1&2-top targets
    3&4-2nd targets
    5&6-3rd targets
    7&8-bottom targets

Targets 1, 3 and 4 are 14 rounds of WWB 230gr ball target loads
    Target 2 is 7 rounds of WWB 230gr ball target loads
    Targets 5 and 6 are 7 rounds each of 230gr Berry’s plated with 5.0gr of American Select
    Targets 7 and 8 are also 7 rounds each of 230gr Berry’s plated with 5.2gr of W231

The dropped rounds on targets 1 and 3 are on me-once because my rest became unstable and once because I flinched as the guy next to me lit off his 7mm Remington Magnum hunting rifle just as I was firing.
    I am very pleased with the way this gun shoots. I shoots very close to POA, maybe slightly low. So far, with only about 250 flawless rounds through it, I’m predicting this one is a keeper. I need to shoot at least 250 more to be sure.

Garry

Name:	DWV1L.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	63571Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DWV1R.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	16.9 KB 
ID:	63573

Name:	target1.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	63575
    Name:  target2.JPG
Views: 29
Size:  47.1 KB
    Name:  target3.JPG
Size:  47.1 KB
    Name:  target4.JPG
Size:  45.7 KB
    US Navy, Retired
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified RSO

Super Moderator
    Real nice chootin'!
    -BH

Member: Florida Carry, COTEP 766, SAF, GOA, NRA Endowment Life
    FFL 03, NRA CRSO & CI: P-R-S-PPITH
    Former USAF NCO 1980-1984, DoD 1987-Present
    Please consider joining NRA at www.nra.org and Florida Carry at www.floridacarry.org

“The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution.”
    -- Thomas Jefferson, Third President of the United States

"Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are commuting violence on their behalf."
    -- George Orwell

"The ultimate result of shielding men from folly is to fill the world with fools."
    -- Herbert Spencer

Sposors